X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple concerns with Autozone Water pump

Old 01-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couple concerns with Autozone Water pump

Hi Guys i just threw in a new waterpump from Autozone, great deal at $65 but two things that i wanted to ask about. First the fins on the propeller fan are notably shorter than the OEM ones, i'd say almost a 1/4 inch. Also the replacement gastket was a paper felt as opposed to the Metal/Ruber OEM one. Should i be worried about either of these things? It seems to be doing its job, drove on the freeway today and all was ok...
thanks

Old 01-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

well with smaller impellers you sure wont have the same water flow through the engine

Old 01-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was $65 for a reason. It is a rebuilt unit.... so if they have an impeller that would fit without major sacrifice to the performance of the cooling system they will swap for that part instead of commissioning a machine shop/metal caster to make a new part.......

Personally i would not worry about it. I'm sure testing was done, and the drop in performance due to the shorter fins was consider acceptable......

Old 06-25-2015, 12:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Autozone x-type water pump

Originally Posted by matl
Hi Guys i just threw in a new waterpump from Autozone, great deal at $65 but two things that i wanted to ask about. First the fins on the propeller fan are notably shorter than the OEM ones, i'd say almost a 1/4 inch. Also the replacement gastket was a paper felt as opposed to the Metal/Ruber OEM one. Should i be worried about either of these things? It seems to be doing its job, drove on the freeway today and all was ok...
thanks
Yeah I went to autozone, and they sold lme AWP-9035. I noticed the height difference in the impeller. It's about 1/8" away from the pump body, and seems like a lot of cavitation would occur. So I went home and plugged the number into autozone website and it says "does not fit your car." Duralast New/Water Pump AWP-9035 at AutoZone.com

They ordered another one, thinking its in the wrong box, but my guess is that the impeller is changed to this one, but don't know if the engineering changed this, or is it a flaw.

Anybody figure this out yet?

Old 06-25-2015, 12:59 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Why not get an OEM Jaguar water pump? I got mine for $45.

Guadin has it at $85
Britishpartsonline has it for $55

If getting the OEM Jaguar water pump, you'll need to buy the gasket as well: C2S13730

Good luck!

Old 06-25-2015, 01:07 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Rock auto has more choices for water pumps, all but one costs less than 65, including one with a metal impeller for 46.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

I learned my lesson a couple of times buying Autozone rebuilt parts, by having to install replacements for free, on off the street(alley) work, yet still bought the alternator for the 928S there 5 years ago. Dealer $1600, Autozone $165. After 30,000 miles she is still working great. Probably better than the Motorolla it came with. The new one is an adapted Delco, that I had to reverse the 2 wires in the plug, according to the included instructions. It was 100 amp too, instead of 80. Don't know what to tell you. If you are only saving less than a hundred dollars, I would go with factory parts. If you are saving over a thousand dollars, I'm inclined to roll the dice.......Mike

Old 06-26-2015, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

autozone pump is fine
keep your antifreeze clean

Old 06-27-2015, 03:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Autozone x-type water pump

Originally Posted by dennis black
autozone pump is fine
keep your antifreeze clean
Actually, the autozone pump we had was very similar to the one I took out. the impellers were about 1/4 shorter away from the body of the engine chamfered pump housing side. Also there was some sort of freeze plug, and it was missing the bearing drain or whatever that port is plugged with a steal bearing.

When we compared part numbers from the box to the actual number on the pump it was not the correct part, and even the autozone website has a program that utilizes a part number and compares it to your vehicle to see if it was a match. So the part was the wrong part, and I dread the thought of ruining my engine. I recommend putting in the correct part regardless of opinion. This can be done, but its some extra work. The actual wrong part would have bolted up and fit.

The new part is identical, but with a metal impellor. An additional note, the autozone employee removed the pump and put it back in the box and gave it to my wife. When I got the pump, the gasket was torn and bent to hell. So we had to make another 40 mile round trip for the gasket. Took 3 times to get correct parts. Unfortunately, I didn't instruct my wife to make sure the gasket was not bent up. I would hope a parts person would assume to look and check if you send the misses!

Last edited by UKnFor-dluv-expat; 06-27-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

i understand what your saying,but ive installed quite a few on members car here on the forum with no problems , but i hear you cant beet factory, but when a member brings a pump to me from autozone or napa we have had no problems ,but me personally would buy factory

Old 06-27-2015, 10:09 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

The bit with the shorter fins isn't so much that the fins are shorter, but how far are they from the housing surface. Having a big of insight to how impellers work and whatnot, you are more worried about the gap between the impeller and the housing than the size of the impeller. Sure, an impeller with a larger fin is going to move more water. I don't argue that. But, in most cases, the impeller is running at shutoff head and therefore isn't flowing any more than a shorter fin unit. I installed the shorter fin/impeller unit and had no issues. the only time this would be a concern is when the thermostat is failing and it is at full open condition. Then you might see a difference.