X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruise control & jerking

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question cruise control & jerking

Recently my X-type has had the engine light on and the yellow "cruise control not available" note comes up. The thing is, the cruise control works fine but if I step on the gas (acc. hard) the car jerks. I slow build up speed its fine. Once the yellow light and "cruise control not available" goes away, the car is fine... but the check engine light is still on. Any idea on how to fix the problem?

Old 08-31-2009, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

"cruise not available" and the limited RPMs are what's called "limp home mode" or "restricted performance mode". You've got a CEL because you have a problem and the computer is limiting what you can do with her so you don't cause damage. Need to have your OBD codes read and then come back...

Nice intro, by the way. Who and where are you, what year is your X-Type, etc.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Red face

Thank you for your help and kind words. I have a X-type 2002 2.5 Cherry red that they don't make after 2004. I'm up-state NY, and this is my first Jaguar, so i'm trying my best to learn and do as much my-self. So far I've done a lot, but the most challenging was changing my spark-plugs.

tommorrow i'll try and see if I can get an OBD reading for the car somewhere or see if i can rent the device from a auto store. Also, I don't know all the lingo for things... so, does CEL -- stand for "cruise not available"?

Old 09-02-2009, 02:01 AM

Check Engine Light

Old 09-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Post Intake sensor

I just found out it's the intake sensor, and that's messing up everything. How do I fix it and/or a place to order the part?

Old 09-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

When mine had similar problem it was wrongly diagnosed by an autodiagnotsic guy at out bodyshop as the intake sensor (aka MAF sensor) so I bought one for £47 (probably nearly $100) from the dealer.Replacing it made no difference as the problem turned out to be a split pipe which cost £5 and took 2 mins to change.Check this pipe 1st as they commonly split underneath as oil lies in it from the crankcase breather before you go buying a MAF sensor.The new pipes are much sturdier and the dealer said they sell lots.
To check remove the plastic engine cover (a few philips screws) and the pipe is by the air intake and close to the MAF.Takes seconds to check and could save you money if thats the cause...here is where the pipe is....
Name:  da68de35-1.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  56.7 KB
If the pipe is OK then it could well be the MAF sensor as diagnosed.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Moshu, can you hear any hissing noise? Buck is likely right on the money with this one. If that PCV hose isn't "ribbed" it is likely the original and is split. But how did you find out it was the "intake sensor"? Who read the OBD codes and what were they? You likely have a vacuum leak from one (or more) of the three likely culprits with the X-Type, the PCV hose, brake boost hose and/or IMT o-rings.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Moshu-Jaguar
Recently my X-type has had the engine light on and the yellow "cruise control not available" note comes up. The thing is, the cruise control works fine but if I step on the gas (acc. hard) the car jerks. I slow build up speed its fine. Once the yellow light and "cruise control not available" goes away, the car is fine... but the check engine light is still on. Any idea on how to fix the problem?

same freaking thing happened to me when i got my car, now im going to ask you a few question ( just one really), have you noticed your feul econmey becoming worse if so, i have to the solution right here. What you need my freind is a new fuel system, happened to me. The car jerks when accerating rather hard, when at a slow acclerate, the car is fine.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Cool hissing noise

Sorry I have been able to update you lately. I was on the road traveling with the business car. Couple of people have mentioned a hissing noise. I didn't notice at first but I fo hear one. I was trying to locate where where it was coming from. I have to take a better look at the hose and see if I can find any slits.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Question I found the noise

I found the hissing noise, but it's not coming from the hose or pipes. It's coming from a round white cracked plastic disk. I don't know what's it called but here is the pictures of it. does anyone know what it is and how to replace it?

Attached Thumbnails cruise control & jerking-img_0990.jpg   cruise control & jerking-img_0989.jpg  
Old 09-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like the brake booster vacuum hose. Sold as a complete unit. That white check valve has deteriorated and is leaking. Simple to change.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Thumbs up

Thank you very much

Old 09-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

In about 5 starts the CEL will clear itself

Old 03-12-2010, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DUUUDE! You are THE man! Thank you so much! I was almost charged $309 to get this fixed. I suggeste4d to the mechanic what you posted. He looked at it, and voila! The total service cost me $100. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by lilbrothalee
DUUUDE! You are THE man! Thank you so much! I was almost charged $309 to get this fixed. I suggeste4d to the mechanic what you posted. He looked at it, and voila! The total service cost me $100. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I am Referring to BUCKMR2' fix! Take off the plastic engine cover and replace the intake hose. The cut in mine was almost exactly 3 inches! Crazy! Oh, thanks BUCKMR2!

Sorry for the double post, I'm new here!

Old 03-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice one....its surprising how many X Types are/have been affected by this!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that's the non-return valve in the vacuum hose to the brake servo. Obviously it shouldn't leak and is likely to be allowing air to be sucked into the inlet air stream causing the problem you are experiencing.

Needs to be changed regardless and hopefully will cure the problem.

Just ignore this, must have missed the second page.

Last edited by TGK711; 03-13-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Default similar problems

Hi all,

Getting the same problems as listed above.

Took the panel off to check pipes as a matter of course really.

The straight pipe itself is intact however the flexipipe/elbow joint that runs from behind airfilter into what I think is the aforementioned PVC pipe has a lovely big split in it, would this cause the same issue?

I have tried to post a much more elaborate post and picture but lost the post and no idea how to post a picture up here as I dont have a webhost picture doo-da.

Thanks in advance for any help here

Old 05-18-2010, 12:01 PM

does this work?

Quick Reply: cruise control & jerking