X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder 5 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 01:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cylinder 5 misfire

My wife's 2002 X-Type just threw a code this morning. The computer read mis-fire on cylender 5. Is 5 in the front or rear bank? If the rear, I have to remove the intake don't I? Could it be anything besides a plug, plug wire or a coil? Thank you for your help,
Dave

Old 06-14-2015, 02:50 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Attached file shows cylinder numbering and firing order. Bear in mind that 'front of vehicle' is front of engine when engine is mounted transversely.

The Bank1 coil units and spark plugs may be accessed when the upper part of the inlet manifold is removed. Refer to JTIS Workshop Manual for correct procedures and torque values.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 06-14-2015, 03:27 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

cissdm: This thread has a picture of the engine with numbers on the cylinders.

It's best for the engine to be cold when you remove the upper intake manifold. 6 bolts go vertically between the cylinder heads to hold the upper manifold to the lower manifold. These bolts screw into brass inserts in the lower manifold. Sometimes the brass inserts break loose and spin freely when folks attempted to loosen the upper manifold bolts while the engine was hot. More details in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...5/#post1220218

When you install the manifold, a dab of anti-seize compound on the threads will make disassembly a little easier next time.

Good luck.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:14 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Taking the intake manifold off isn't that big of a job, don't worry about it, there is plenty of "how tos" on this forum and elsewhere that will walk you through it. It's easy, really it is.

I would suggest that you change all the plugs on that side of the engine while the intake is off, it makes sense. And go ahead and get at least one igniter before starting the job. It's a good probability that number 5 has a cracked boot or something and needs to be replaced. Inspect the others and replace as required. I like to make sure my local parts store has them in stock just in case. That way I don't have to buy them up front yet I can easily get them if needed. No, they don't have the Jaguar labeled parts, but the Ford versions are exactly the same and more available (and not to mention cheaper).

Yes, there is a chance the problem could be something else, but not likely. Start with the simple things first. When you remove the plug you will be able to see if it is oil or antifreeze fouled which would indicate a much more serious problem. But in my experience a misfire is always a defective plug or bad igniter boot. Contrary to advertising mythology, modern spark plugs don't last forever and they do wear out.

Last edited by Ozzlefinch; 06-15-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed the intake making sure to mark the bolts and carefully disconnecting all the plugs and hoses. After removing and replacing the spark plugs with new ones and placing number five's coil onto cylinder number 2 (and visa versa) and then putting all the others back where they came from, I replaced the upper gaskets. The manifold was carefully replaced, bolted and torqued down and the tubes and plugs reconnected. Before replacing the airbox and manifold cover, I attempted to start the engine. It runs at a rough idle and won't accelerate. The message center displays "Engine Systems Fault", "DCS Fault" and "Gear Box Fault." Also, I have to leave the plug that connects into the front left side of the throttle body disconnected in order for the engine to start at all. It can be connected after it has started and will continue to run albeit at a rough idle. Any suggestions? My local auto parts store is a quarter mile from me. Should I idle it over and let them read the codes? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

My wife's X-type is an AWD computer. I drive an '83 CJ-8 Scrambler. The only electronics are the electronic pack screwed to the firewall and the radio. Needless to say, I'm a bit out of my league.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I replaced my valve cover gaskets a while ago and carefully put it all together.

It ran rough.

I started digging back in, and -- duh -- I had not fully plugged a coil all the way in.

Take a look at your work and I would guess it will be obvious.

Also, wait a minute, you had better put the airbox back on before you try to diagnose anything!

Last edited by jaggedy; 06-27-2015 at 09:40 PM.