X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Developed a clunking sound when I hit bumps

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Developed a clunking sound when I hit bumps

Recently I've noticed that my xtype has developed a strange clunking noise when I hit a bump, especially noticeable when I go over a patch of road that makes the vehicle rock from side to side. I cannot pinpoint the source other than its more appearent when I hit a bump on the right side. What should I be looking at as a source of this noise? I really can't tell if it's from the front or the rear, but it sounds closer to the front.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:35 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Your rear control arms are probably up for replacing. Those, and other, suspension bushings seem to not have a very long lifetime. Lots of folk on this list have been replacing them over the last year or so.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 01-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I second the suspension bushings. They are cheap to replace if you do it yourself and will enhance the ride quality once you replace them.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by disguay
I second the suspension bushings. They are cheap to replace if you do it yourself and will enhance the ride quality once you replace them.
Disquay, have you done the front ones? I was just researching this very topic. On this forum, best write-up I found was...

"lift the car, take off wheel, unbolt link(1 upper bolt 1 lower bolt, you may need to hold the bolt with 1 tool and spin the nut with a wrench, it should be obvious when you look at it, usually a allen key or torques goes inside the bolt end while you spin the nut)...bolt new link on, put tire back on, lower car.
done."

Any insight if it's really that easy to change out the front bushings? I'm looking for something manly to do this weekend.

Edited for proper punctuation.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

andahaion, I haven't done any bushings on the front yet because they haven't gone out. I have learned the moto "never wake a sleeping baby" also applies to cars; I don't screw with anything that's doing it's job . I would be very curious if that is how easy it is to replace the front bushings though. My advice would be just as good as yours though and my advice is just get down there, pull the wheel off, and see if you can follow the brief instructions. If you end up not knowing wtf to do just throw the wheel back on and feel accomplished that you can lift 4000lbs of steel in the air with simply the power of your hands. It's nice to end an unproductive day of troubleshooting with the thought that I am better than physics.

Also, If you do end up doing the replacement, please document the work with pictures! If the instructions you are working off of had pictures you and many other people to come would know exactly what to do.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:09 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Is the sound more noticeable over rolling (light bumps) or harsher ones? Do you notice it more on colder days? I kept hearing this annoying clunk (like loud tapping) and when I took it to the dealer on it's last warranty trip, they replaced the sway bar bushings but that didn't do the trick. Someone here recommended I replace the strut mounts (and bearings) and what do you know, that did it.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

sway bar bushings front and rear is what you need. You may even need front links. The control arm thing people are posting are for people who live down south in warm climates. You live in CT.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with sway bar linkages and bushings. I had a long thread on this. After replacing most of the suspension components it has been quiet for a couple of months. Mine was in need of more than just the bushings but that was the final change that quieted it down. See "Clunking in Rear Solved" thread.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut mounts on 05 x type

I have a question for anyone who can answer. I'm thinking of replacing my struts but is it necessary to replace the strut mounts as well if I dont hear any noise? I want to replace the struts because of the roughness of the ride whenever i hit a bump of pothole.

Next question: If it IS necessary to replace the strut mounts as well, what is the average cost of labor for doing so. One mechanic quoted me a price of 518.00 for labor but the cost of the mounts is only 79.00 per mount. What are obvious signs of bad strut mounts? I currently have 79k miles on my xtype. Thanks for any/all replies.

- TJ