X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency Boot Access Solution (Pre-emptive only!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts
Default Emergency Trunk Access Solution (Pre-emptive only!)

Further to posts posing the problem of getting into the boot in the event of a lock electrical failure or locking the keys in the boot, here’s a simple, cheap solution to undertake IN ADVANCE of the problem arising in your car. This post is based on a 2005MY saloon, but I believe some earlier MYs have a different lock for which this doesn't work! Sorry about that, but perhaps a variation on this theme could be devised by someone with an early MY! Also, in the USA this may tie up with the emergency release that's already fitted inside the boot to enable children to escape if locked in by accident. Hopefully, you can have both.

Inside the boot, remove the plastic covering to the locking system and the pulldown handle next to it. The pulldown is held with two torx screws but the cover uses these plastic fixings that easily distort.

Emergency Boot Access Solution (Pre-emptive only!)-trim-rivets.jpg

Use very light pressure on the screwdriver as these screws will strip even when undoing them! If all else fails, they can just be pulled out and replaced with new. Then remove the locking motor assembly held on with these three torx screws, remembering to mark the position of the lock to allow it to be replaced in exactly the same position later.

Emergency Boot Access Solution (Pre-emptive only!)-lock-torx-bolts.jpg

You should now see some of the internals as shown here

Emergency Boot Access Solution (Pre-emptive only!)-lock-internals.jpg

Attach a 10 inch long tie wrap as shown here to the arm (used in the US spec to allow the internal operating pull to be attached?) Anyway, it’s just what we need for this project.

Emergency Boot Access Solution (Pre-emptive only!)-tie-attachment.jpg

Now feed the end of this tie wrap through this hole and replace the lock assembly.

Emergency Boot Access Solution (Pre-emptive only!)-route-tie-1.jpg

Remove the number plate and you can now feed the tie wrap end through the topmost spare number plate hole in the boot lid as shown in this shot from inside

Emergency Boot Access Solution (Pre-emptive only!)-route-tie-2.jpg

And this from outside.

Emergency Boot Access Solution (Pre-emptive only!)-route-tie-3.jpg

Time now for a trial run. Pull the tie wrap end and the boot should unlock. If so, replace the number plate until emergency access is required and refit the internal boot lid trim. That’s all there is to it, but it might save you a lot of frustration in the future.

The subject of security is usually raised at some point! My view is that it's a real long shot for a potential thief to know about this and then go looking for it. It's a chance I'm prepared to take but it's up to you to decide for yourself.

Last edited by astromorg; 12-11-2013 at 05:26 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by astromorg:
AlfaVeloce (12-12-2013), bdevenyvm (02-19-2014), cat_as_trophy (12-12-2013), jimbov8 (12-10-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

An excellent how to Astro' and as always, sound advice. I would think variations along the same theme could be used for all our cars.

Of course, it may not apply to those who carry out preventative maintenance on a regular basis.

Last edited by jimbov8; 12-10-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default Emergency Boot Release

Great work astromorg ... good thinking; clear instructions; supported with fine pics.

How frustrating that Jaguar, having deployed a brilliant solution for dead battery on the S-Type by using a fall-back of mechanical unlocking with the key; chose NOT to fit this to all models ... including the X-Type.

But, then again, it is a feature that most S-Type owners are totally unaware of ... unless they read about it, or watch the excellent video, here on these forums. I am not sure that even the S-Type Owners Manual shows it.

Ah ... the joy ... the passion!

The following users liked this post:
astromorg (12-12-2013)
Old 12-12-2013, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It's definitely in the S-Type owner's handbook. Under the part on locks

Old 12-12-2013, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default Emergency Boot Release

Thanx JagV8,

That explains why it's such a well known S-Type feature!!! Fancy putting something as important as this in such a ridiculous place ... Locks indeed? Hahaha.

I stand by my point though, that such a worthwhile and economical feature, having been developed for the S-Type should have been deployed across all platforms. Compared to some of the more esoteric features on the X-Type, I would expect most owners would have welcomed its fitment.

None of which, of course, takes away from astromorg's excellent post.

The following users liked this post:
astromorg (12-12-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I carried out this mod as per instructions and feel a lot more relaxed now.

All I would add is that I replaced the cross head self tapping screws on my rear plate with flat headed simple slotted screws.
I also now have a tool on my separate house keys keyring that ensures I have a "screw driver" to remove the screws that attach my rear plate.
At very little cost, I bought a plain flat key blank with a wide shank and a wide head.
I then filed the shank end down so that it fitted the screw heads.
( The wider head ensures I have a little better leverage )

I know I can deal with the boot without even asking for a tool.