X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To the Mod Experts: Couple of Q's for ya :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool To the Mod Experts: Couple of Q's for ya :)

I'm embarking on a few changes to my X and would love some people to chime in if they know any info!

My goal is to make changes while keeping a very close to stock look.

1. Lowering springs - can I do these on their own or should/do I need to replace shocks at the same time?

2. Brakes - I've got my hands on a 2nd set of X calipers. Do you think it's possible to fit my 2nd front set on the rear? I know someone who did this with a GM car for much better stopping power but have no clue if it would work here.

3. Wheel spacers - anyone have experience with these? Any good?

4. LED's - I'm embarking on replaceing nearly every light on the car (every bulb in rear light housing too!). The kind people from Putco have taken a lot of time to help me go through and find replacements for all. They do say some of the side markings could experience overload and flash quickly but there is a solution. Anyone done anything like this?

5. Control arms - Last but not least! My rears are going but can anyone tell me if the classic X defect are the upper or lower ones? ie- these ones?

That's about it for now! Any comments are appreciated!

I've got newly remanufactured Proteus wheels coming and now that the snow is nearly all gone it's time to get my Kitty looking pretty

Last edited by JasonERF; 03-18-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

1. I'm guessing your shocks are ok being a sport model, but I don't know your year or mileage. Mine were fine at 50k or so.
2. Nope, don't even try it. The fabrication required isn't worth it. You'd be better off trying to get S-Type R calipers on.
3. Yes, haven't owned a primary car without spacers in nearly 20 years. They just need to be hub and wheel centric and of good quality. H&R. Eibach, FK, and Adaptec/Motorsport-tech are all good.
4. I had an LED phase myself, but am not a believer anymore. Factory LED lights are good, but the aftermarket stuff tends to be hokey and they do increase flashing speed on systems looking for a certain level of resistance. I prefer chrome-dipped incandescent lights if changing standard incandescents.
5. I don't know. No issues myself.

The following users liked this post:
JasonERF (03-19-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by exexpat
1. I'm guessing your shocks are ok being a sport model, but I don't know your year or mileage. Mine were fine at 50k or so.
2. Nope, don't even try it. The fabrication required isn't worth it. You'd be better off trying to get S-Type R calipers on.
3. Yes, haven't owned a primary car without spacers in nearly 20 years. They just need to be hub and wheel centric and of good quality. H&R. Eibach, FK, and Adaptec/Motorsport-tech are all good.
4. I had an LED phase myself, but am not a believer anymore. Factory LED lights are good, but the aftermarket stuff tends to be hokey and they do increase flashing speed on systems looking for a certain level of resistance. I prefer chrome-dipped incandescent lights if changing standard incandescents.
5. I don't know. No issues myself.
Thank you expat!

1. Milage is 45k and seem/feel fine!
2. THANKS!
3. Now, you've got me excited!

4. A bit nervous about this now, lol. I spoke with putco about all this. I'm getting very high quality LEDs that are made in the U.S. Also aware of quick flickering but Putco says (for their high quality LEDs) it's only 10-20% of vehicles and if it happens they have a load resistor kit.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JasonERF
Thank you expat!

1. Milage is 45k and seem/feel fine!
2. THANKS!
3. Now, you've got me excited!

4. A bit nervous about this now, lol. I spoke with putco about all this. I'm getting very high quality LEDs that are made in the U.S. Also aware of quick flickering but Putco says (for their high quality LEDs) it's only 10-20% of vehicles and if it happens they have a load resistor kit.
I have used resistor kits, too. It is just not clean however you install it. The best thing to use are T-taps or something removable, but I hate cutting wires are at factory plugs.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

The classic control arm defect is the lower front control arm. The bushings go out and so does your camber. I replaced them both myself and posted a how-to with pictures. Just search "lower control arm"

JasonERF (03-19-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Actually, here's the link with all the info on that https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...rm+replacement

JasonERF (03-19-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 10:51 AM

Yes, haven't owned a primary car without spacers in nearly 20 years. They just need to be hub and wheel centric and of good quality. H&R. Eibach, FK, and Adaptec/Motorsport-tech are all good.
Hey Exexpat- Because I'm thinking of only doing 5 or 10mm spacing do you think these will suffice:

2" 5MM 5X108 WHEELS SPACER FITS JAGUAR X S TYPE XJ XJ8 XJ8L XK XKR Vehicle | eBay

Old 03-21-2012, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member

Don't do those universal ones, they are garbage. You'll want hubcentric spacers. Go to motorsport-tech.com and give them a call.

JasonERF (03-25-2012)
Old 03-25-2012, 04:33 PM

Don't do those universal ones, they are garbage. You'll want hubcentric spacers. Go to motorsport-tech.com and give them a call.
The gallery on that site is only filled with slammed cars. LOL- people like you would look at my car and think it's SUV height.

I am going forward with lowering springs but I'm hoping it'll still look stock.

Gonna call m-tech tomorrow!