X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever want to disown your kid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 08:57 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Ever want to disown your kid?

Sitting in the car today, 101°F outside, comfortable inside.

Little guy (11) is going up to grandma's tonight to spend some time with here before his next surgery on Tuesday. Kid is full of steroids, so he's crazy as an outhouse rat...and he peels things due to the nervousness. Paint from a doorframe, loose wallpaper...anything the least little bit loose.

I look in the rearview mirror, and he's back there peeling the headliner from the backing over his seat.

It's a good thing I love him.

Now, I get to replace the headliner...one of the little things I DIDN'T need to do.

Oh well.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:30 PM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Replacing the headliner is something that we all will have to do at some point. Your son just helped you start the job.

Your a very lucky man to have a son. Best of luck this week my friend.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:50 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

wa3ra, atleast for the moment, get yourself some 3M Super 77 adhesive. That will allow you to spray some on and reattach the headliner. Because it was pulled off (not fell off), you should be able to reattach the headliner and not have to worry about it pulling apart in the near future. My headliner started to pull away and by pulling a little more and then using the spray, I got another 2-3 years out of the headliner. But, then it started pulling away where I stopped gluing. So, I had a big bubble in the middle of the headliner.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:03 PM

I'm trying to figure out how to get at it; it is above the rear pass side seat. doesn't go all the way back to the edge. Super 77 is what I use for upholstery, so plenty of it here.

I'm actually entertaining the idea of using a syringe to pic some up, and injecting it under the liner.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:00 AM
Veteran member

wa3ra, when I did mine, I used some newspaper and masking tape to cover the rear window so I didn't have to clean off the glue later. I did the same with the corner trim piece and then laid some newspaper over the rear seat (taping as needed to hold the newspaper in place). From there, you can peel the headliner as needed to give yourself room. Spray both the reinforced backing and the fabric with a light layer of adhesive (don't want to get too much, otherwise it will create a flat spot in the fabric) and press the two together, starting where they meet to minimize any chance of wrinkles.

If I read your post correctly, he created a bubble in the center of the headliner without getting the fabric loose at the edges. is that correct? If so, just bite the bullet and keep peeling the fabric will you get the corner all loose. It will add a little bit of work to the job, but it will save you time in the end as you will just have to work from the edge where the fabric is still attached to the backing and work to the corner. If you have say 2 feet of fabric hanging, you may want to do it in sections where you spray say an 8" band and attach that fabric, then come back and spray a little more, attach that, ...... This will make things easier in the end and ensure you have a good looking product at the end.

I don't think the syringe idea is going to work as you are going to end up with spots in the headliner with the fabric hanging loose between the spots.

If you are truely worried about working upside down in the car, you can always pull the headliner out of the car. It isn't as bad as you may think. Yes, it takes some time, but then you can put the headliner on a large surface and be able to get at everything very easily.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:29 PM

It is a whopping 2 years old...and it's a breeze to do the headliner with the windshield out. Unfortunately, there's a windshield in there now.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:41 PM
Veteran member

wa3ra, you can still pull the headliner. If you pulled it out the windshield, then you will do the same, but this time, lay the front passenger seat down as far as it will go after sliding it all the way forward. You can then flex the headliner into a 180 degree loop and it will slide out the rear passenger door. That is how I got mine out.

The following users liked this post:
wa3ra (08-01-2016)