X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flush antifreeze help???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flush antifreeze help???

can anyone tell me how to flush the antifreeze out of my car putting a new expansion tank and need to flush out antifreeze
thanks

Old 01-16-2009, 08:43 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: flush antifreeze help???

First you have to remove the front under panel..(13 Million screws)..There is a valve on the bottom of the radiator to open and let it drain..You will not get a complete engine drain as some stays in the block...If you do this twice in a day or so you will have replaced most of the old Coolant.

Once you put on your new expansion tank..fill it to the bottom of the black top and put the cap on..then start and run the engine for a while till the fans start, drive it around the block....all the while milking and squeezing the hoses to help burp air out..Stop the engine and let it cool for an hour or more..Remove the expansion tank cap and fill again..do this several times until the coolant level remains constant in the coolant expansion tank...You should be good to go..but keep an eye on the tank for a few days, as more will settle back into the engine as the air burps out.

My recommendation is to use only Jaguar coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dennis

My recommendation is to use only Jaguar coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water.
and tell us again how much that Jag fluid costs?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's a tip that makes the filling and bleeding much easier, using this method I have never had to add more than a few ounces to completely fill the system after a test drive.

On the pulley side of the engine at the top you will find a small hose that runs along the firewall and attaches to the coolant rail on a small nipple. Remove the clamp by sliding it down the hose, remove the hose from the nipple being careful to support the aluminum housing it is attached to. That housing with the large hose is sealed by an o-ring and a small single bolt and excessive stress can cause a leak. Place a small catch can( I usually use the cap from a brake clean can) under the nipple and fill the cooling system through the expansion tank until coolant starts coming out of the nipple. Reattach the hose and heat up the engine to operating temp with heater on HI and double check level after it cools back down.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this would apply but in the past pre-jaguar... I have opened the drain on the radiator and on the over flow and ran the vehicle refilling with water. Once the water would begin to drain out I would then begin to refill with anti-freeze. Once anti-freeze begins to pour out front the radiator drain I wouldd then cap it off and continue to fill with antifreeze. The whole time the vehicle is running, heat blowing and trying to keep the car at 2k rpms. Would this be another method? Reason I ask is I am getting ready to do this myself...

Old 01-17-2009, 10:38 AM
ud

ORIGINAL: McJaguar

ORIGINAL: Dennis

and tell us again how much that Jag fluid costs?
My dealer sold me my gallon (all you need) for :

Old 01-17-2009, 10:40 AM
ud

ORIGINAL: Real_Tech

Here's a tip that makes the filling and bleeding much easier, using this method I have never had to add more than a few ounces to completely fill the system after a test drive.

On the pulley side of the engine at the top you will find a small hose that runs along the firewall and attaches to the coolant rail on a small nipple. Remove the clamp by sliding it down the hose, remove the hose from the nipple being careful to support the aluminum housing it is attached to. That housing with the large hose is sealed by an o-ring and a small single bolt and excessive stress can cause a leak. Place a small catch can( I usually use the cap from a brake clean can) under the nipple and fill the cooling system through the expansion tank until coolant starts coming out of the nipple. Reattach the hose and heat up the engine to operating temp with heater on HI and double check level after it cools back down.
Nice tip..thanks buddy

Old 01-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

crazy money for antifreeze, you can get the dexcool for much less. Same coolant without the Jag name on container. Also suggest you mix with distilled water.......

Good tips above....thanks

Old 01-17-2009, 12:38 PM

Local Jag dealer wants $44 a gallon over here. They also sell pints for $12~ The parts guy said it was specially formulated and warned me about the seals if I went with dexcool - definitely would scare me into buying from them too.

Im just not sure what is in there to begin with as I purchased the car 2nd hand. Now what do I do ?

Old 01-17-2009, 01:11 PM
ud

You only need a gallon..Don't second guess this part of the engine..it could get very costly because you wanted to save a few bucksusing dexcool

Old 01-17-2009, 01:14 PM

Yeah no doubt, even when I do the TC...

Old 01-17-2009, 04:09 PM

According to this - we are compatible with dexcool - what do you guys think?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_26319/tm.htm

Old 01-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm running Prestone Extended Life 50/50 (the orange stuff)and haven't experienced any problems. Get it at Walmart $11+/gal.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:45 PM

how long?

Old 01-18-2009, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

As much as I hear good things Dexcool, I also hear some bad things about it . We don't use it on our cars and once you switch to orange stuff , you should replace it about 3-5 years and don't mix it w/ other green coolants and only use distilled water .

Old 01-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Agreed

Old 01-18-2009, 11:47 AM

Whats the deal with the distilled water?

Old 01-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Distilled water is pure water and the only water that you can be sure
will not contain disolved minerals. Minerals in a cooling system will
cause deposits to form and may/will clog the system. You can get a
55 gallon drum of it for the price of ONE gallon of Jag coolant! LOL!
Can get it at Wal-Mart or a pharmacy. (Or the Chemist as the Britts call it!)

Old 01-18-2009, 07:53 PM
ud

I'm not trying to convince anyone that Dex-Cool is good or bad for the Jag..But I will say is that they are different.

You decide:

Read the chemicals in the JAG coolant

Now read what is in Dex-Cool....I'm no chemist, but these don't look the same...

Old 01-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: christo

how long?
It's been in for 3 months but I also drained it a second time, after about a week, with all 4 wheel off the ground to level the car. The second drain was to try and get as much of the original coolant out of system. I'm planning on draining it again this spring because there is a small leak at the drain where I installed my own rig to make it easier to drain in the future. I'm going to install a better version that hopefully will seal better. After this draining all of the old coolant should be gone. Right now the Dex Cool in the tank looks as good as new.

Quick Reply: flush antifreeze help???