X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox Fault!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good information and clarification. Should help with potential future issues. I am new to Jags and these types of forums. Figured out my issue, which is dirty battery cable and user error mixed. LOL! Again, thank you for all the information.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default gearbox fault

Our first x-type that we bought new in '03 had a gearbox fault after 6k miles. Replaced trans under warranty. gearbox fault after 8k. Third trans was a winner. Explained to me by dealer there was a nylon bushing in early trans that would wear out especially from a lot of high speed driving. This piece was replaced in later trans with something more substantal. Car was fine all the way to trade-in in 2009 when we bought a 2007. Jack

Old 03-08-2011, 11:07 PM

My experience today was after moderate rainfall during the afternoon on my 35 mile commute home at about mile 20 the transmission downshifted (very unsettling at 75mph on wet pavement) and I got a gearbox fault error. So I pull over and turn the car off. I have a smoke and then turn the car back on. Still showing the gearbox fault and now also a cruise control unavailable message. So I decide to drive some more. Car was not in first gear and never shifted from whatever gear it was in. I got off the interstate because driving at 5-6K RPM was annoying. Got the car home and pulled off the fuse cover, everything was fine. The rain stopped and I let the car sit for a few hours. It now runs fine but check engine light is still on, but no errors or warnings.

Moisture on the TCM? I haven't got the codes cleared yet, but from previous posts it sounds like moisture got into the TCM.

2002 X 3.0 with 137,000 miles

Old 04-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Default Gearbox Fault

I was just wondering what the end result was because I am experincing the same issue and you really did a great job in explaining everything.
Did the gearbox fault go away or is there more to the story.
Many Thanks
Brad

Old 04-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by slickness34
I was just wondering what the end result was because I am experincing the same issue and you really did a great job in explaining everything.
Many Thanks
Brad
Mine never returned after I replaced the windshield, and I live in the rain capital of the world.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:27 AM

I have not encountered this problem since my earlier post. Check engine light went away and I have had no more problems. I'm chalking it up to moisture on the TCM, I could be wrong though.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Default Gearbox Fault

Originally Posted by starvinmarvin08
I have not encountered this problem since my earlier post. Check engine light went away and I have had no more problems. I'm chalking it up to moisture on the TCM, I could be wrong though.
Well after taking the ECM out I was hoping to find moisture but it was dry as a bone. I am thinking a possible short because I drove it to work (made three stops on the way) and it drove fine. Once at work it gave the gearbox fault (with no cruise message) at least 8 times but when I drove it back home it was fine and no faults other than the check engine light on. I will run the code scanner tonight and see what it says but I thank everyone for your posts and advise.
I will let you know what I find in the next few days.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slickness34
Many Thanks
Brad
After exhausting every avenue I could, I finally relented and took the car into Jaguar. Their diagnostic indicated a transmission valve body problem but I was skeptical of that and asked them to ignore that for the moment and remain focused on the electrical. They did a pin-out diagnostic and identified readings out of normal paramiters from the Transmission Control Module. Upon removal and visual inspection, the could see where part of the circuit board had burned up. There was no indication of water intrusion inside the TCM and I have not bothered to trace out all the circuits that link the TCM with the ECM but I suspect the water that had gotten inside the ECM had resulted in a short of one of the TCM circuits and caused the damage.

A new TCM from Jaguar is $1200.00 I am not prepared to pay that right now so the car is sitting while I am searching the salvage yards for one. They are hard to come by... Probably because they are in high demand. Personally, I love Jaguar but from what I have gleaned from this forum and others; this should be classified as a manufactures defect and a recall issued.

The following users liked this post:
Docko (12-02-2021)
Old 04-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by terobbie59
A few months ago a friend did a detail on my 03 x-type. The next morning I had condensation all over all of the windows. At the time I figured he knocked something loose and I was getting water in the car. Others told me that I might have blown my heater core. But I wasn't getting any coolant smell or film. Last night, I was driving home in a torential downpour, and when I went to break...water started running pretty freely into the passenger side foot area of the car. I was again told...probably heater core. I put a white napkin on the wet carpet...and it came up clear...with no smell of coolant. One thought was that the drain in the wiper "bay" might now be clogged and that's causing the leak...another was possibly the air-conditioner drain is clogged and it's now running into the passenger side front seat area. I'm just looking for a thought from this forum before I take it to a wrench or try to find the tube for the wiper pan and try to clear it. I did have the air on yesterday. This morning, no air...no water.
Robbie
Robbie,
This sounds to me like the Cabin Air Exchange door is open (the recirculation door). This door has a history of breaking over time allowing the door to stay open or closed. It is on the passenger side of the US model under the cowling under the hood. With enough water pouring down from the heavens, it might be possible to over fill the cowling run-off channels and breach the "fresh air" vent holes of the chamber. It would also need to have the filter removed as to allow water to flow freely. I would inspection this "fresh air" vent location under the hood. You may have a crack or simply missing the filter. If you turn on the AC and then press and hold the "recirculate" button you should be able to hear the door close and if you hold it in for about 3 sec you will hear a tone and the recirculation door will stay closed. The condensation in the vehicle is sympton matic of this door being at fault.

Look this link over
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...w-foggy-30889/

Old 04-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by terobbie59
A few months ago a friend did a detail on my 03 x-type. The next morning I had condensation all over all of the windows. At the time I figured he knocked something loose and I was getting water in the car. Others told me that I might have blown my heater core. But I wasn't getting any coolant smell or film. Last night, I was driving home in a torential downpour, and when I went to break...water started running pretty freely into the passenger side foot area of the car. I was again told...probably heater core. I put a white napkin on the wet carpet...and it came up clear...with no smell of coolant. One thought was that the drain in the wiper "bay" might now be clogged and that's causing the leak...another was possibly the air-conditioner drain is clogged and it's now running into the passenger side front seat area. I'm just looking for a thought from this forum before I take it to a wrench or try to find the tube for the wiper pan and try to clear it. I did have the air on yesterday. This morning, no air...no water.
Robbie
Take a look at TSB XT501-08. I have the same problem and the "water shield" helps, although I still avoid automatic car washes. Issue: On some 2002-03 MY X-TYPE vehicles within the above VIN range, customers may complain of water leaking into the passenger footwell. A water shield is now available that can be installed on the curb side of the pollen filter housing to eliminate this concern. Part: C2S 29537 - Pollen filter housing water shield (left hand drive)

Old 05-27-2011, 09:22 AM

OK it's been a while since I’ve posted but I thought I would give you an update. I checked the trans fluid (which was fine) but started reading a little further into other possible causes since I had no water in the ECM nor after hours of line tracing did I find a broken or shorted wire. In a post I read in an unrelated gearbox fault, I was trying to see what other possible things would cause a systems fault (limp mode) and to my surprise I found a post that described my spur attic faults completely.
Here is what I found...
In the post it was directing me to the throttle body.. I know it sounds strange that the throttle body would give the gear box fault but after removing the clamps and rubber hose to expose the butterfly inside (which is electronically controlled). I noticed inside the throttle body was very dirty and with some carb cleaner (sprayed on a soft towel and not directly inside the TB (throttle body) I gently open the butterfly and took my time to rub all the black deposits off the inside of the throttle body. This took about 45 minute to do to make sure I didn’t damage anything or use excessive cleaner inside the TB.
After letting it air dry for a few minutes I reinstalled the rubber tubing and the clamps.
OK the good news..
After driving the car on its first test drive I noticed a completely different downshifting pattern when coming to a stop. The RPM’s just didn’t drop but rather stayed within a 1500 -2200 range. The car has been driving great without any check engine lights coming on or gearbox fault in over a month and it’s been the wettest month ever here in Ohio.
I hope that this helps other’s in their quest to rid the “Gearbox Fault” in your Jag. The other option you may have is to purchase a new (or used) TB.
By cleaning the TB my car is running great but be careful if you decide to mess with the TB. It is a very delicate precision part that can be damaged if you don’t take your time when cleaning or opening the butterfly..
Thanks again everyone for your input and I hope this helps..
Brad
2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0

Old 06-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Howdy Gents,

It's been a while since I've had time to fool around with this issue but here is what I have found since my last posting. I finally relented and took my car into the dealer for a comprehensive diagnostic of the problem. I left them with a detailed written account of my findings up to that point as well as color photos of the water damage to the ECM I had discovered. Well; first they called me and told me the Transmission Valve Body needed to be replaced... Really? Are they actually that stupid or do they just believe I am? I told San Jose British Motors to ignore that for now and concentrate on where the electrical problems take them. They finally agreed to do a pin-out check on the TCM and sure enough it was faulty. The reported to me that they didn't see any indication of water damage but that the circuit board was damaged and quoted me $1,100 to replace it, on top of the $530 I already invested in their "expert" diagnostics. I thought that was ridiculous and since I was certain the damage was related to the ECM water intrusion I had found, I asked that they hold onto the car for a few days while I investigated getting a salvaged part since it wasn't under warranty anymore anyway.

At this point I fired off a letter to Jaguar Customer Relations detailing my experiences and suggesting this was a design flaw that should warrant a recall. to their credit, they did contact me and look into the issue but to their discredit they resorted to the usual "because of the age and mileage of the car..." we won't help you line.

Refusing to pay for Jaguars poor design, I took my car back home from the dealership and removed the TCM this morning. As soon as I unplugged it, I could see that water had gotten inside it. The female pins on the lower end of the 54 pin harness connector showed signs of corrosion and the male pins on the TCM side of the connector were so bad that the number 6 pin had corroded completely away. I opened the TCM on my workbench and there was a corrosion bridge across pins 5,6 & 7 and when I brushed it away, pin 6 on the inside of the connector was completely dissolved half way to the circuit board as well. So much for their expert diagnostics…

So, in conclusion, this is my plan... I have filed a safety complaint with the NHTSB and I am taking my case to the local TV News consumer advocate 7 On Your Side. I tried to work with Jaguar and gave them an opportunity to stand behind their product but they insisted on treating me like an imbecile and when I was ultimately correct, stonewalled me with the out of warranty dance. This problem is systemic in this model vehicle and I encourage everyone who has or is experiencing this problem to also file a safety complaint and contact your local consumer advocate. Maybe if the publicity gets bad enough Jaguar will step up.

The following users liked this post:
Jag4 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

OK, I read the above post and I'm willing to bet that at some point the windshield was replaced. I went through exactly what you did, not once but three times, finally it was determined after sitting in a spray booth for 3 hours that the only possible source of the water was the windshield.

I had the windshield replaced and sure enough, bottom drivers side corner there was a caulking failure and a slow leak dripping down almost on top of the TCM. have not had a problem since. It is not a factory flaw, it is a windshield failure. You can go to the news, call the paper, get the president involved but unless you can prove a manufacturing defect you might as well bark at the moon.

I knew going in that the X type (read every British car ever made) has some issues. And they do. But TCM failure isn't one of them, it is an issue related to moisture. Where is the moisture coming from? Mine was from the windshield, likely most is. My friend who actually works at a Jag dealer tells me he has seen my issue before a couple of times, Both had after market windshields so he knows they were changed do to rock chips or whatever.

The following 2 users liked this post by sidewalkman:
Old Auto (02-14-2015), starvinmarvin08 (06-16-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
OK, I read the above post and I'm willing to bet that at some point the windshield was replaced. I went through exactly what you did, not once but three times, finally it was determined after sitting in a spray booth for 3 hours that the only possible source of the water was the windshield.

I had the windshield replaced and sure enough, bottom drivers side corner there was a caulking failure and a slow leak dripping down almost on top of the TCM. have not had a problem since. It is not a factory flaw, it is a windshield failure. You can go to the news, call the paper, get the president involved but unless you can prove a manufacturing defect you might as well bark at the moon.

I knew going in that the X type (read every British car ever made) has some issues. And they do. But TCM failure isn't one of them, it is an issue related to moisture. Where is the moisture coming from? Mine was from the windshield, likely most is. My friend who actually works at a Jag dealer tells me he has seen my issue before a couple of times, Both had after market windshields so he knows they were changed do to rock chips or whatever.

Thanks for posting that. I never had this issue until about 8-10 months after I replaced my windshield (replaced twice in 1 week. Got a rock chip the day it was replaced.). I will go check drivers side for caulk failure and try to post pictures.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know its been some time but, any new updates? My 2004 Jag x-type 3.0 is now in the shop. The gear with the exclamation point in the center is on. And it will not come out of 3rd or 4th gear limp mode. If I let it set for some time and start it, the light is gone. Soon as I drive it about 1 mile it comes on and goes into limp mode.

Not sure my ECM is getting wet or not or if the trans needs a flush.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Default Throttle Body Cleaning

Originally Posted by slickman
I know its been some time but, any new updates? My 2004 Jag x-type 3.0 is now in the shop. The gear with the exclamation point in the center is on. And it will not come out of 3rd or 4th gear limp mode. If I let it set for some time and start it, the light is gone. Soon as I drive it about 1 mile it comes on and goes into limp mode.

Not sure my ECM is getting wet or not or if the trans needs a flush.
Well an update from me and cleaning the "Throttle Body". It has been running great with no transmission failures since I cleaned it. The water in the ECM was never an issue with me although I took it aout and inspected it (which was dry). I would say give the throttle body and butterfly a good cleaning and follow up. Dont spray the cleaner into it but rather spray it on a good rag and wipe the insides down real good.
Let me know if it helps.
Brad

Old 08-14-2011, 12:48 AM

Hi Guys.. after a bad rainstorm my car wont start and only clicks like the battery is dieing and I get the Gearbox error code when I turn the key on. do you think this is the same problem you are talking about? If so, what is he TCM and where is it exactly and what is the ECM? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I just put up a post how i had the same issue. It was water getting on the TCM. besides the wind shield, where else have you seen the water come from? I can't figure out how or where mine in coming from...

Old 09-20-2011, 12:40 PM

Alright! I have a fun addition to this thread! I have a 2005 X sport. I took it to the jag shop who diagnosed it for 5 hours come up with nothing more than replacing parts. It started with a check engine light, followed up with a gearbox fault. He said its definitley electrical. I cleaned the Throttle Body, had minor deposit, didn't fix it. I did have a aftermarket GPS installed but ran all power directly from the fuse box, no other connections to the car. The Jag Shop suggested I start by replacing the instrament cluster, followed by the ECU, TCM and Throttle Body, in that order. Does anyone have any other suggestions? It also has less only 50,000 miles.

Last edited by pdxguy; 09-20-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: additional info

Quick Reply: Gearbox Fault!