X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS sync up

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GPS sync up

Hey all, i bought a gps unit that I have mounted to my dashboard nicely, but I've found that plugging it into the cigarette lighter keeps it turned on all the time unless I manually turn it off. Is there a way to wire it, or some sort of accessory that I can add to it so that when the car turns on and off, it also does so?

Old 08-27-2016, 10:31 AM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I remember reading that you can move the fuse, or maybe a jumper to make the power cut off with the key.

I think it was on a post about adding more power outlets in the glove box.

I could not find the post so it could just be a flash back to the 70's...

Old 08-27-2016, 02:03 PM

Hmm I'll look into that if it exists since that could be an easy solution if it doesn't open up the usual can of worms haha.

Does anyone know, or would be able to elaborate on this?

Old 08-28-2016, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Doesn't the power to the cigarette lighter already cut off when teh key is turned off? Could it be there is a battery in the GPS unit and that you are just charging it with the cigarette lighter and that when you turn off off the key it keeps working because it has its own power source?

Old 08-28-2016, 01:40 PM

I wish it did, I wouldn't have this problem then, I tested it using one of those usb adapter things to go into the 12v socket, and the light indicator that it had power was on the entire time even when i locked the doors with the engine off and left it for a few minutes. Still on.

So from what I've read further into it, it seems like there were actually two fuse options with the X-type. One of them was to constantly throw power to the cigarette lighter, and the other was to only throw power when the ignition was activated. I'm in the process of figuring out if I can simply switch my fuses to this desired effect or not.

The alternative is to wire a second 12v plug in and piggyback fuse it to my dash fuses. Simple and easy and it will then turn on and off with the car.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, look down onto the under bonnet fuse box, on the rear row of fuses, at the left end as you look at it, you'll see the place where you move the fuse to, that's all that's needed. Martin.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Martin 2
Hi, look down onto the under bonnet fuse box, on the rear row of fuses, at the left end as you look at it, you'll see the place where you move the fuse to, that's all that's needed. Martin.
Hey, I'm a little confused about this. Do I need to remove another fuse and put it in this location? Also do you have an exact fuse number for which one needs to be switched to? I feel like since my cigarette lighter is always on, there must be another fuse keeping it that way, but maybe not.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:36 PM

If you look at that position it becomes apparent, you remove the lighter fuse and replace it in another clip, have a look

Old 08-29-2016, 05:39 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

No, you just move that fuse so that the center pin stays the same, but the other side of the fuse goes to the opposite side. of the center. It will be obvious when you see it!

Old 08-29-2016, 06:00 PM

Spot on ! That's the kiddie !

Old 08-29-2016, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Martin 2
Spot on ! That's the kiddie !
Okay I don't get it still, here is a pic of my exact fuse box in the car under the bonnet. Please use MS paint or psychic powers or whatever is necessary to show me in the picture what to move and where exactly.

I largely suck at this stuff under the hood so I'm sorry to drag this out but I'm still clueless as to the instructions given. What fuse in particular, where does it go, and how?

Here is exactly what mine looks like, please use this to help me figure out which fuse i need to adjust or move, and exactly where it goes. And how.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by wa3ra
No, you just move that fuse so that the center pin stays the same, but the other side of the fuse goes to the opposite side. of the center. It will be obvious when you see it!
I still don't understand what to do here, or where. I honestly don't see what you guys are describing in the engine bay fuse panel.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Georgio, get into the cabin of your car and look at the fuse box under the dash. If you look on the left side of the fuse box, you will see a fuse that is sitting between the two rows of fuses (Fuse F68). If you look at this fuse, it will have 2 posts, but there will be 3 slots for the posts of the fuse. You will always have to use the middle slot, but if the top slot is open, move the fuse to fill the top and middle slots. if the bottom is open, move the fuse down to fill the bottom slot. The center post is what feeds power to the cigarette lighter. The top slot is one power source, the bottom slot is a different power source. One is powered directly off of the battery, the other is switchable.

The following users liked this post:
GeorgioTsukolius (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 05:00 PM

Thank you so much Thermo!!!!!

This worked beautifully, the problem was I was looking in the engine bay fuse box instead of the passenger cabin like I should have. All good now!

Old 09-01-2016, 04:37 AM

I apologise, it seems the fuse boxes are different on different models, and I misled you. Sorry again. Thermo to the rescue once again.