X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greedy big cat. Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 04:36 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Greedy big cat. Injectors?

Hi folks. Yes posting again so I am sorry for asking so many questions.
I bought my x type 2.0 diesel with a non starting issue and replaced the pump and still no go. I replaced the injectors with the reman type and coded them into the ecu and started right of the bat with no issues and runs fine but my issue is that it is very greedy on fuel with me only getting 35mpg on a steady motorway run of around 65mph. Looking at other figures on the net most people seem to be returning mid 40's to even 50's so I am wondering what could be causing my cat to be so thirsty. I am going to remove the egr valve and clean that but was wondering if I have incorrectly coded the injectors and this is causing a misfuelling issue. I have no fault codes on the dash and she pulls like a train but can also sit in top gear at 40 with no issues either.

Thanks for helps folks.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Does the temp gauge rise to the middle of the scale indicating normal running temp? If not the car could be overfueling due to the ecu seeing a cooler temp and running in cold start mode all the time.

Also could be worth changing the air filter if you have not already done so.

After a run see if any of the wheels feel warmer than than the others, could be a brake sticking on slightly.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:22 AM

Hi. The temp runs slightly lower than the middle line and occasionally drops a fraction below that. I have removed the EGR and cleaned and checked its operation and all seems ok. The air filter is dirty but not chocked so I blew it out with my compressor. All the discs and pads have been replaced and all ok as none getting hot. The reading on the mot smoke tester were lower than its allowed limits so that's confusing if it was over fuelling. The ext temp gauge never seems to move much away from 13 and wonder if that has something to do with it.

Thanks

Old 08-02-2015, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by rapala
Does the temp gauge rise to the middle of the scale indicating normal running temp? If not the car could be overfueling due to the ecu seeing a cooler temp and running in cold start mode all the time.

Also could be worth changing the air filter if you have not already done so.

After a run see if any of the wheels feel warmer than than the others, could be a brake sticking on slightly.
You stay very close to me bud.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:12 PM

T S where are you located? There is a beautiful 2.0 diesel sitting just along the street from me with the full on bodykit etc. I dont suppose its you? How are you working out the fuel consumption? If you are using the fuel computer I would advise against that and say you should fill the tank until the fuel is almost running out of the filler neck then run the car for a day or two with your normal driving style(100-150 miles) then refill the tank (see what it takes to refill) and do the calculations then see what figure you arrive at as per miles per Gallon

Old 08-03-2015, 02:19 AM

Hi. I am round the corner from you in Sauchie. No I don't have the body kit on my Jag. I would have liked to see that though. Cheers

Old 08-05-2015, 05:01 AM

You will be along the road and round a few corners from me T S. I'm over in Clackmannan.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:18 PM
Default Sorted

Since I got the car I could hear a loud hiss when under load and always suspected a split intercooler pipe so yesterday I finally decided to investigate and found the boost pipe from the EGR valve to the map sensor to have a split in it. I have patched it for now as a new one is on order and with cleaning out the EGR valve it has helped no end and so much quieter lol