X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grrrr...loaned out the 2003 and now slop in the shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 02:27 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default grrrr...loaned out the 2003 and now slop in the shifter

I let someone borrow the X-Type for a couple of days and when I got in it last night, I immediately noticed a LOT of slop in the shifter (it's a 5spd manual). This is the 2003, not the 2004.5 (also manual)...year specified in case there were changes in shift boot or anything.

Prior to loaning it out, the shifter was relatively tight and crisp...it did NOT have left-right wiggle room in each gear.

The only other vehicle I have had to deal with repairing sloppiness in was the Miata, and it has two rubber boots under the leather boot that occasionally give way over time due to heat and use. So part of its maintenance from time to time is to replace both of those and then it is like new all over again.

I have found what is labeled as "GAITER-GEAR" in the catalog, which appears to be an outer boot assembly. However, before I drop the C-note and change, I am trying to determine whether this is apt to be the source/cure for my problem...

And, alternately, if it is NOT boot-related, what did they likely break in those two days that I am likely looking at to get my shifter feel back to where it was as recently as last week?

thnx...

Old 07-22-2015, 04:41 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Someone needs a FAT spanking. It sounds like some intense abuse. Maybe take out the whole assembly and inspect for damage.

Also, if you can get this person on the hook somehow (depends on the relationship of course) that would be good. If they abused your shift that badly, I shudder to think what they may have done to every other drive-train component.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:07 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

If you are talking about the leather shift boot part then I don't see how it would affect slop in the shifter. I have slop in my 04's shifter, even after switching to an aftermarket short shifter. There is a plastic bushing thing that the shifter rod sits in, and I think that might be what gets worn out and causes slop. My aftermarket shifter didn't come with a new one, and I haven't been able to find part number or anything yet to get a replacement. The only other thing I can think of that could be the cause is maybe worn out/stretched shift cables.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:53 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Justink201
If you are talking about the leather shift boot part then I don't see how it would affect slop in the shifter. I have slop in my 04's shifter, even after switching to an aftermarket short shifter. There is a plastic bushing thing that the shifter rod sits in, and I think that might be what gets worn out and causes slop. My aftermarket shifter didn't come with a new one, and I haven't been able to find part number or anything yet to get a replacement. The only other thing I can think of that could be the cause is maybe worn out/stretched shift cables.
Only reason I contemplated the boot was because of the Miata and knowing it had two inner boots that become torn and lead to some slop...but without the inner boots showing on the X-Type, I was not sure if perhaps there was something inside that was comparable.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:14 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

No..your slop is called "being driven like it was stolen"..Hope you learned your lesson.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Gee, this is a tough crowd! Actual cause of the problem remains unknown yet several here, confusing causation with simultaneousness, are 100% certain that whoever borrowed the car must be responsible for the loose gearshift

Cheers
DD

Old 07-24-2015, 07:35 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mbelanger
Only reason I contemplated the boot was because of the Miata and knowing it had two inner boots that become torn and lead to some slop...but without the inner boots showing on the X-Type, I was not sure if perhaps there was something inside that was comparable.
Oh ok, there isn't a rubber inner boot. I'm getting a new shift knob in a week or so, and I'll try to remember to take a pic of what I think is the problem part.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:47 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Reading what I posted here, does sound a little heartless...Sorry, never meant it to sound hard on you..but I had a similar experience years ago and it was driven recklessly..so I had flashbacks...but in your situation, the coincidence you must admit, is uncanny..

Last edited by DPK; 07-24-2015 at 08:51 PM.