X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gaskets on a 03 Jag. X type

Old 12-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gaskets on a 03 Jag. X type

Ive been told ford gaskets fit is this true?? if so what year or ford cars is the same as the jaguar x type 2.5L?

Looking to do Head gaskets so im thinking a full top half gasket set..Im sure there is a large price change when i say Jaguar, if a ford fits im going to ask for a ford..

Old 12-23-2009, 06:33 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,821 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Jagdown, what makes you think that your head gaskets are bad? Yes, the 2.5L Ford motor is the same (basically) as your 2.5L motor. There are slight differences in the way of the variable valve timing and stuff like that, but the big components are the same. So, yes, the head gaskets will fit.

What you are looking to do is a big job. Plan on spending probably about 20 hours wrenching on the car to do what you are after. So, unless you have a coolant loss problem or a blown head gasket, I would really question why you are doing it.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Jagdown, what makes you think that your head gaskets are bad? Yes, the 2.5L Ford motor is the same (basically) as your 2.5L motor. There are slight differences in the way of the variable valve timing and stuff like that, but the big components are the same. So, yes, the head gaskets will fit.

What you are looking to do is a big job. Plan on spending probably about 20 hours wrenching on the car to do what you are after. So, unless you have a coolant loss problem or a blown head gasket, I would really question why you are doing it.

Engine has no compression, and spins fast when i try to start it also.. prob. the heads or the engine is gone to the grave! oh and that center cap between the heads under the injectors is leaking oil like its no tomorrow. So im thinking wife ran it clean out of oil because there was none when i pulled the stick.

whats funny though,if you look for jag gaskets online there priced more then a ford block? and there the same.. Hummmm! fishy fishy!

what year ford should i really look for?

Old 12-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 1917
Size:  19.3 KB

check out my reply to your engine removal thread in the X type section

Old 12-23-2009, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64

check out my reply to your engine removal thread in the X type section
yes ive seen it, looks fun! cant wait to jump in and do it...... the problem i have is i only have a cherry picker and 4 stands, no hoist to lift the front up really high unless my stands could do it, but im thinking if i remove my front struts first i "SHOULD" be ok. but ive never seen that done on here yet... like i said its going to be realllllllyyyyyy funnnnnnnn!

Old 12-23-2009, 12:55 PM

oh i found a local junk yard that has a xtype 2.5L and a 3.0L block he said the 2.5L has 65K miles on it and will sell both for $700 each. not sure on miles on the 3.0L... Should i think about just swaping engines????? im sure i would spend over $700 just in parts alone.**thoughts**

Old 12-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you check the timing first? It may have jumped timing and would cause the same symptoms you described.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Default Hi Thermo,

According to jaguarforums.com you are the right person to contact!I had code P0171,P0174,P0420,po301-306.After clearing the codes some of them didnt come back but po174 and po171 came back.I have changed the brake booster hose,pcv hose,imt o-rings.I think it could be the headgasket because when i sprayed MAF sensor cleaner to one of the silinders engine started idleing.Is it really changeing those gaskets 20 hours labour?Thank you very much for your time.

Originally Posted by Thermo

Old 05-22-2016, 06:22 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The coolant on my X-Type got into the engine, I need to replace the head gaskets, the valve covers were off; Do I have to remove timing chains cover?

Old 05-23-2016, 05:56 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

The Lincoln LS engine fits in our cats.(need to swap a few parts)
check out this thread

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ype-jag-34228/

Old 12-24-2017, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice

I'm having a similar problem except more extreme. My 2004 xtype 3.0 will not hold coolant at all if I pour coolant in it immediately runs into the engine mixing with the oil. This car only holds 7 quarts but when I drained the oil i pulled 3.5 gallons of chocolate milk out of it. Is this a cracked block or blown gasket or even a cracked head? Should I just replace the whole engine or is there a way for me to tell if my block is cracked or the gasket gone? I can get a used engine at my local pull a part but if I do that in taking a chance that the engine in the one there is done for also because the car hasn't been in a serious accident so that makes me think something seriously went wrong with it for them to sell it to a place that hardly offers any money at all for cars but makes a fortune off of them

Old 12-24-2017, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

your better of with a low millage engine no head aches just unbolt everything drop new one in and be done with it, while the engine is out change plugs gaskets ,make sure you check the cats cause this the time to replace them as well as 02 sensors

now you don't have to do all that ,its if i was in your position cause then i would have a low millage car

Old 12-24-2017, 07:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,821 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Chris Hebb, unfortunately, you can do a compression check to verify that you have a problem in a cylinder, but it will not tell you if it is a cracked head, cracked block, or a bad head gasket. Granted, if you pulled out "chocolate milk" from the oil pan, I would venture to guess a lot of other stuff is toast now. So, a new engine is going to be called for unless you plan on rebuilding your current one. In short, the milky oil does not provide adequate lubrication to your connecting rods and bearings. So, unless you have only run it for a few minutes in this state, the engine is most likely toast.

Like Dennis said, find a good low mileage engine and drop that in. that is going to be your best bet unless you can tear down the engine to parade rest and build it all the way back up with all new bearings. Even then, you may find that one of the heads is warped and will need to be replaced. The odds of the block or head cracking are pretty slim unless you had the coolant system filled with pretty much straight water and then you let the block freeze solid. So, that leaves you with either a bad head gasket (most likely) or a warped head (not likely unless you had a problem that allowed the engine to over heat, then it could be a possibility).