X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Headlight Problem

My wife's 2005 X-Type 2.5 L is having a curious problem. When the 3-position headlight switch is turned two clicks from off to "dipped beam" position, the high beams also come on. Toggling the column switch has no effect. However, when the switch is turned one click from off to the running lights position, the high beams can be toggled on and off with the column switch. This tells me that the switch and associated relays are working.

I can't seem to find a schematic of the headlight circuit. If the headlight system does not route through an electronics module, then the problem is in the headlight switch or associated wiring and I would just replace the switch. If there is an electronics box involved, the problem is a bit harder to diagnose. Can anyone help with information about the headlight circuitry?

Thanks,

Greg

Old 09-02-2015, 04:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

laserguy, I want you to try something for me. Open the hood of your car and access the engine bay fuse box. Locate Relay R1 and remove it. Now, turn on your low/dipped beams. Do your high beams come on now? If yes, then your problem is internal to your headlight assemblies and you can narrow down which one it is by simply unplugging one at a time and seeing which one causes the high beam light to go out.

If the high beams did not come on, then your problem is either the relay (unlikely) or a problem with the GEM. What you can do is, using a multimeter, look inside the hole where the relay was and locate the small numbers imprinted into the plastic (may need to look on the relay itself). Locate 1 and 2. Stick the multimeter probes into the holes for 1 (red lead) and 2 (black lead). Do you have 12 VDC on the multimeter? If no, then it is the relay most likely. If yes, then your problem is internal to the GEM module.

Barring some major wiring fault, this should narrow down where your problem is located. if you want a set of drawings for your car, PM me with your e-mail addy and I will send you a set of diagrams for your car.

The following users liked this post:
groobs (07-12-2022)
Old 09-03-2015, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thermo,

Thanks.

I should have stated that I pulled fuses F1 & F4 to kill the high beams so the car could be driven at night.

Since the high beams go on and off with the column switch when the headlight switch is in the running light position, I assumed that the relays were OK.

I'll check the voltage later today.

Hate to seem stupid but how do I PM you to get schematics? Don't want my e-mail address out in the public domain. Get enough spam already!!

Old 09-03-2015, 02:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

In the post above, click my name and you should see a list of options come down. One of the options should be to send a private message (PM).