X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Six Months With An Old X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Six Months With An Old X-Type

It’s amazing how time passes – since I introduced myself nearly half a year ago my Jaguar experience has had its ups and downs. For two months everything went well with a number of longer journeys being undertaken in total comfort.

Then one day the temperature gauge shot up. I pulled over and let her cool down. Having run quite a few cars I always carry oil and water. Anyway I started topping up but the water came out as fast as I put it in – the radiator had failed. The car came with a three month warranty so I initially rang the dealer I brought her from. He was disinterested and told me to ring the warranty company. They said I was covered and to get over to a garage. When I queried labour rates they said they would pay up to £65/hour. The garage I use charges exactly that and the RAC took it in on an A-frame. When the work had been done I had to contribute over £150. This was because the £65/hour was for my post code whereas the garage is ny a few miles away but in a different postcode which has a maximum labour rate of £54/hour! Also their view was a cheaper pattern part should have been used – they garage did not use a genuine Jaguar part but put in a Hella one.

The next incident was when someone pulled straight out into a traffic stream damaging the nearside. This issue is still ongoing (not sure why it is taking so long) so I will post about it later. The car is still drivable and the doors work as normal – just spoils the looks.
The last week the EML came on. As I was not convinced the supplyimg dealers service had been tht good I also booked it in for an interim service/ Problems with my lower back and left leg following an accident some years ago limit my DIY these days). The EML issue was easily solved (split vacuum pipe) but on checking over the car they found the lower shock absorber bushes virually non-existant, the shock absorbers in poor condition and a few other issues with the rear suspension. This has all been done now but makes me suspect the new MOT that came with the car was not 100% as I have done less than 3,000 miles since purchase.

So my Jaguar journey continues. This is the first one I have owned but I don’t yhonk it will be the last. If my lottery numbers come up tomorrow I quite fancy a Mark X – I used to pass one on my way to school and it always appealed more than a Mk II to me!

Old 02-17-2017, 12:58 PM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

HI Michael. Take your motor back to the station which did the MOT and confront them. let them know you are prepared to report the faults. This dodgy mot scam has to stop.