Help with Jaguar X-Type 2002 2.5

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing but 91 premium

Old 07-29-2016, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

At a minimum it looks like a misfire on cylinder 5. Move that coil to another location and see if the misfire follows it.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Like Alfa says, switch the #5 coil with the #2 (#2 is the only coil that you can see without removing anything on the engine, just to the left of the air box). if the misfire moves, then this is an easy coil to replace then. i would also say that since you are removing the coil, it may be a good idea to remove the plug and see what the end looks like. If it is black and "furry" looking (ie, carbon build up), then I would take a wire brush to the plug and clean it up before sticking it back in (assuming the rest of the plug looks good). hate to see you have a misfire on 2 cylinders because one has a bad coil on it and other because the plug is fouled. It may even be advantageous to check the plug for it being in good condition (ie, no signs of overheating or exhaust getting past the ceramic). May even be a good idea to put a new plug in if any questions arise. Probably a good idea to check the gap too. if it is wrong, it can create all sorts of havoc with the engine.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:46 PM

I am going to switch the #2 with the #5 coils.

I test drove the car today same symptoms, engine flashing, cruise light, engine shaking, rough idle.

I changed all the spark plugs. I did noticed the wires to the coils looks crispy since I was having a lot of coolant leakage from coolant reseveoir.

Could this misfire be causing catalic codes to be going off and horrible performance?

I noticed black smoke coming out of the pass anger side under belts.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:58 AM

Hey guys,

I changed the #5 coil with #2 coil car still has same symptoms. I went to get the codes scanned again:

P0305
P1313
P1000
P1316

The catalic codes went away. Misfire code is still there.

Here's what seems like happen to:

these plugs are a typical rich mixture and oil ring wear. Your oxy sensor is telling the injectors to dump in fuel that can't be burned either from bad compression,weak spark,bad rings,OR a vacuum leak.Could be the car had a vacuum leak and they never took care of it for a long time and ran rich dumping fuel that it couldn't burn carboning up everthing including the PVC system. The noise sounds like someone pulling a plunger out of a tube,like valves opening on a dead cyl. Does it smoke?

I do see black smoke.

I did noticed the wires to the coils were replaced.

Should I buy all new coils?

Old 08-15-2016, 02:27 PM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Before you go to the expense of new coils lets do a few quick tests.
Lets test for vacuum leaks.

a compression test would not hurt at this point.

let us see what happens with these results.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:20 PM
Veteran member

Joey, just to ask a silly question, you mention that the coil wires were replaced. Did they replace the whole harness or did they get their hands on some plug connectors and splice them into the old wiring harness? if they used a whole wiring harness, then you should not have a wiring issue. If they spliced in the new plugs, I would remake the splices for cylinder #5 and see what you have then. When you make these up, I would say to get your hands on some stuff called "Raychem WCSF-070". This stuff is heat shrink on steroids. You shrink it correctly and it will be better than the original wiring.

If you need more info on how to do a quality reattachment of wires where a plug is being repaired/added, let me know. I do this sort of thing all the time. Mine just have to survive a nuclear reactor melt down (literally). The under hood conditions are much less severe than that.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:57 PM

I test drove the car today it it hasn't misfired but still bad idle and shaking above 50 mph.

I am going to clean the spark plugs again and will check the coil wires.

I believe the harness to the plugs were replaced. They have a yellow dot on them like they were replaced.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:33 PM

I checked the coil wires they seem okay. I did notice the #5 coil bolt would not tighten all the way. Coil might get loose while car on?

I cleaned the area on top of the Spark plugs #5 plug has dried oil. Tried to clean it good.

I also put some injector fluid it help with the idle a little.

The car was running okay with very low fuel with no misfire. As soon as I refueled started misfiring bad idle.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:33 PM

Sid.

Lets try switching injectors #5 and #2 wondering if you have an injector problem.
what fuel pressure are you getting at the rail.

I usually put a little petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on the o rings of the injectors to help them seat. just an fyi

bet you can get your intake off in record time now

Old 08-26-2016, 01:24 AM

I was going to switch the injectors but I noticed #5 spark plug has rubber stuck on top of it and coil was loose. I took the rubber out and cleaned the area. The #5 coil bolt won't tighten all the way. I tighten it as much as I can and put some tape.

Thought this might be the issue. Started car ran well with little bad idle. Put some gas ran very well then misfire shaking little.

P0305 #5 coil might be getting loose causing misfire?

I can take the intake with my eyes closed ��

Old 08-26-2016, 01:27 AM

I'm going to try to switch the injectors and figure out a way to make the #5 coil both very tight.

If this doesn't work I'm going to get the catalytic converter tested.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:33 AM

You could try cleaning the Cat.

soap and water also works.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

WOW! I have read a lots of threads and see Thermo have answered all the problems people had posted, he is very knowledgeable in many difference subjects, we should all give him a standing ovation, call him "Thermo the Grand master Of Jaguar"

Old 09-03-2016, 12:26 AM

Thermo is legit.

Haven't been driving the car. I test drove the car no misfire with close to no gas it still had pretty bad idle. I filled some gas and car got way worst. Now it won't go past 3000 rpm and misfire cruise control. It's stuck like this now.

Here's what I did so far:

Change spark plugs oil in spark plugs cleaned
Change knock sensor
Move coils around and still misfire in the same cylinder. #coil bolt won't tighten all the way might be getting loose
Changed intake lower gaskets tops gaskets were fine
I cracked my brake booster but put a lot of tape
I also lose some bolts removing the manifold
Put injector fluid in tank help a little with idle
Radiator has been leaking a lot possible leaking from expansion tank fried coil wires?
I think I hear hissing on the passenger side belt by engine. Also saw black smoke there once. Is this where the front catalic converter is?

I am going to switch the fuel injectors tomorrow and make sure all coils and spark plush are clean.

Any directions on removing the catalic converted?

Thank you very much!

Old 09-03-2016, 12:32 AM

Went to go get the codes scanned again and it's the same as last time:

P0305
P1313
P1316
P1000

When I'm done tomorrow I will get them cleared and see what codes come back

Old 09-03-2016, 12:46 AM

Also smells bad of gas.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:07 AM
Veteran member

JOey, you talk about a hiss, like a vacuum leak? If so, try this. Get yourself a can of starter fluid and locate the IMT valves (the 2 black disks on the side of the intake near the front of the engine/passenger tire on a US model). Using the starter fluid, spray the joint where the plastic meets the metal intake. Did the engine RPMs pick up as you sprayed? If yes, then you have a vacuum leak there.

While you have things apart to swap out the fuel injector, take a look at the electrical plug on the outside of the coil. Specifically look at the connectors inside the plug on the car side of the wiring. Do the connectors look to be in good condition? I would also hand over hand the wiring back a little bit to make sure that the wires going to cylinder 5 (the cylinder nearest the brake booster) do not make a funny bend (indicating a broken wire inside the insulation) or the insulation is damaged allowing things to ground/remove the power.

Because you are smelling gas, that is telling me that you are either experiencing a loss of spark or a stuck open fuel injector. This is where swapping a fuel injector around will narrow down which it is.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:14 AM

I checked plugs again and they had a little more oil on them.

I couldn't figure out how to change the fuel injectors. Any advise would be amazing.

Car is stuck in rev limiter mode and won't go past 3000 rpm with cruise control light on constantly.

I found a video on YouTube of what my car does: