X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Lower wishbones

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help Lower wishbones

I am having trouble changing the lower wishbone front suspension. I removed the pinch bolt and dropped the ball joint out, then removed the bolt from the horizontal bush. Of course I cant remove the vertical bolt without dropping the subframe a bit. Sadly this is where I have the problem.

When I try to undo the 21mm bolt the captive nut inside the upright is turning. I have tried putting a flat bar inside the small hole on the side of the upright to hold the nut but to no avail. I expect that rust has made this situation.

If anyone has any suggestions how to resolve this I would apprecite it

John

Old 01-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

If you're talking about the bolt that passes vertically through the large bush at back of the arm, there's not a captive nut. Part numbers for the bolt and nut respectively are C2S52468 and C2S42348. And by the way that large bush is oil-filled. It can be cracked open if you try remove or install the arm without lowering the subframe. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by swingwing; 01-05-2017 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:24 AM

Hi Swingwing,

Thanks for your reply. I dont mean the large nut/bolt on the wishbone I mean the subframe safety bracket with the two small bolts and the one large bolt that holds the subframe up. As I was undoing it the internal captive nut came away and now I cant do it up or undo it. Is there a way into the chassis uprignt from above so that I can get a socket on it ?

The only other thing I thought of was widening the small hole on the side of the upright so that I can get a spanner inside, but worried that this may weaken the structure.

Any suggestions please.

John

Old 01-05-2017, 10:43 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Ah, I see. Wish I could be more helpful. You may have to get a spanner then cut the length to fit. Are you using an impact gun? That may be the only way to get that bolt free. Most common are the air-operated ones; I've got a Dewalt cordless that works for me.

Attached Thumbnails Help Lower wishbones-l-axle-nut.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 01-05-2017 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Added picture.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:02 AM

Hi again Swingwing.

Here are a couple of pictures that may explain better. I cant use an impact gun as I had undone the bolt about 3 turn before it locked up. Have to get a spanner on the inside of the chassis somehow. The large bolt (3) goes up into the chassis.

What a pain in the neck this is

John
X-Type 2003 2.0d SE saloon (UK)

Old 01-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I contemplated widening one of those holes too but ended up deciding against it and going from the top, through the floor board. There are like 5 or so slots in the floor directly above those bolts on both sides of the vehicle. I cut those out and had plenty of access then tack welded a patch over the hole and sealed it with flex seal lol.

But I have a better solution to that control arm bolt... Back the bolt out until it fouls on the framerail and cut the head off then pull it through the bottom. When you put it back together just run the new bolt up and put the nut on top.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:16 PM

Hi X-TypeMentality

Thank you very much for your excellent reply. Now I know there is access from the floor I will do what you did.

As far as the bolt in the wishbone, I assume that they did it that way as it is safer if the bolt can't drop out. Not excactly user friendly having to drop the subframe to remove one bolt is it. But, I do like your fix

Thanks again
John

Old 01-06-2017, 10:49 AM

Hi X-TypeMentality

SUCCESS !!! I found the panel in the floor and with a careful bit of measuring managed to cut a 1.5 inch diameter hole which gave me access to the nut with a box spanner. From there on it was easy. Thank you once again my friend, you saved me hours of grief.

John
Happy X Type owner

Old 01-06-2017, 11:00 AM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnJonesXtype
Hi X-TypeMentality

SUCCESS !!! I found the panel in the floor and with a careful bit of measuring managed to cut a 1.5 inch diameter hole which gave me access to the nut with a box spanner. From there on it was easy. Thank you once again my friend, you saved me hours of grief.

John
Happy X Type owner
Glad to be of assistance pal 👍