X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Transfer Case/driveshaft replacement. All help welcome.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Transfer Case/driveshaft replacement. All help welcome.

Hi All!
I hope I am posting correctly, if I am not please forgive me as it is my first post on this site even though I have been browsing it religiously for the last few months.

So I have recently purchased an 02 Jag X Type 2.5 sport (AWD model).
I went out to see the Bathurst 12 hour (hells yeah) and on the way back I had to avoid a collision by slamming the brakes suddenly at high speed (110kmish)
The car sounded like something went bonkers mechanically and we towed it home.
After a mechanic had a look at it, what I thought turned out true and the transfer case is gone (it scrapes and rings and bogs even though at speed the car seems fine) and the drive shaft makes some unusual noises too.

I have been browsing transfer cases to replace the one in my car and have come across a few questions:
1. Will a 3.0L TC fit my 2.5 if I find one?
2. 04+ seems the go for reliabilty?
3. Anything I should be aware of when purchasing one from a wrecking yard or when installing one?
4. What about the driveshaft? fitment will be fine?
5. Anything else that I should know about the whole ordeal?

My research has led me to very inconclusive points found randomly on the net so I thank anyone who can give any advice or can answer any of my queries.
Also, the car in fact was my High school Graduation/Uni entry gift from a loving father so its one I intend to keep, so any advice to scrap the car is unwelcome (sorry )

Old 02-08-2016, 07:07 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

All of these questions can and should be answered by a quick call to your local Dealer..they can do the cross referencing to tell you what years and with engine types are interchangeable. Good luck

The following users liked this post:
Muamin (02-09-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 08:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's my understanding, and someone far more knowledgeable will jump in (Hey Thermo!), that transfer cases are all direct replacements. '02-'03 feature a viscous differential, '04 and later are open differentials, which worked with electronic traction control, if so equipped. Putting a later transfer case in an early car kind of negates the benefit of AWD, in my personal opinion. (Open differential! All wheel drive until you need it- one wheel spins, you stop...) There is a lot of info in this forum regarding setting up/ rebuilding the transfer case before you install it. Don't scrap the car!

The following users liked this post:
Muamin (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by DPK
All of these questions can and should be answered by a quick call to your local Dealer..they can do the cross referencing to tell you what years and with engine types are interchangeable. Good luck
They actually offered little to no help They just redirected me to the nearest parts center to ask (they were quite busy it seems at the time so I cant blame them)

Originally Posted by geoffbp58
It's my understanding, and someone far more knowledgeable will jump in (Hey Thermo!), that transfer cases are all direct replacements. '02-'03 feature a viscous differential, '04 and later are open differentials, which worked with electronic traction control, if so equipped. Putting a later transfer case in an early car kind of negates the benefit of AWD, in my personal opinion. (Open differential! All wheel drive until you need it- one wheel spins, you stop...) There is a lot of info in this forum regarding setting up/ rebuilding the transfer case before you install it. Don't scrap the car!
I actually found a pretty much mint transmission with the transfer case attached from the same model car as mine and same year and engine today !!
An acquaintance of my fathers turned it up (he owns a wrecking yard but these care are pretty rare in our parts so the turn up was unexpected)
Either way a new transmission and transfer case is going in, and any ECU issues will be resolved by a friend of mine who deals with car electronics and things who said it will be no problem for him, so WIN WIN

Thanks for all your help though, it is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:33 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

Good news..Make sure before you install everything and while you can access all the fill and drain plugs..To drain and fill all the fluids and lubes...time well spent IMO.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by DPK
Good news..Make sure before you install everything and while you can access all the fill and drain plugs..To drain and fill all the fluids and lubes...time well spent IMO.
The car got off the hoist today at around 3pm...in blistering 35 degree heat ...but yeah all the oils were changed, the gearbox and transfer case will be strengthened soon with stronger gears (money well spent since I plan on keeping the car and hopefully boosting it a little bit.)
Anyway thank you for the advice....and nice XF..I always wanted one since the day they came out

Old 02-10-2016, 08:36 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

Great!...Hope to hear soon that you have it riding high down the roads..Enjoy my friend