Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Weird door lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Weird door lock problem

2004 X-Type

Just got this car and it has an annoying problem with the door locks. I can lock and unlock the doors with the FOB, I can lock and unlock the doors with the key but I cannot lock and unlock them from inside using the handle or the lock pull from either the passenger side or the drivers side. The lock pulls move in and out when I use the key fob so it does not appear to be a linkage problem. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this.

I searched posts and could find alot on door locks but none with a problem like this.

Thanks
Craig

Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 PM

Last edited by wolv2401; 04-20-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: accidentally double posted
Old 04-20-2009, 09:12 PM

i really have no help here, just wanted to say good luck. These X-types are setup like a lot of Beemers with the vaccuum type lock system. They are always a pain to work with. There are so many different vaccuum lines in the vehicle that could be pinched or bad to cause all sorts of problems. If it was just one door giving you problems, then I'd say itd be something in the door panel that came disconnected. For both front doors to not work the lock/unlock, it has to be something inside the vehicle. I would imagine that there would have to be some sort of lock module in there somewhere. I'll ask around and see if any of my dealer friends have any ideas.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:19 PM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOLV.... what the heck???
First of all it is BIMMER.. and a BMW motorcycle is a beemer.
Secondly, BMW has NEVER had vacuum door locks. VW did at one time, and Mercedes did for a long time.

There are no vacuum lines in the X-type apart from the brake booster, and emissions stuff.

The only thing for the OP's problem that I wonder is if you are trying to lock/unlock with the door open? the Jag's doors must be closed in order for the power locks to work properly.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:40 PM

I have always heard of BMW cars as Beemers also.As far as door locks I agree with you 110%

Old 04-22-2009, 04:31 AM
Default help

nope, I am sitting inside with all four door closed, and can only lock and unlock the door with the key fob, its driving me crazy, if the passenger wants out I have to take the key out and unlock it with the fob.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:49 PM
ud

cant the passenger just unlock their door manually?

Old 04-22-2009, 09:00 PM

nope, both doors will not unlock or open manually, only with the key from outside or the key fob once removed from the ignition

Old 04-22-2009, 10:31 PM
ud

so if you pull on the unlock lever, it is stuck? I have had the latch apart and I cant see how that can happen.
I understand an electrical fault is possible,, but since the electric system is able to move the lever, how come you cant move the unlock lever manually?????

Old 04-23-2009, 04:45 AM

thats it exactly, I really cannot understand it, all the mechanism works with the key fob but not manually, could it be a trunk or hood sensor that is not reading on tghe display but is not makeing a proper connection on the locing side ??????

Old 04-23-2009, 07:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

NS, I did some looking about our locks. Try this:

Standing outside of the car and using your remote, press and hold both the lock and unlock buttons for atleast 4 seconds. Release after seeing the parking lights flash. Now, get inside the vehicle and see if your problem is fixed.

Reading about our cars, they have what is known as a double lock feature. When it is engaged, it does not allow the doors to be unlocked from inside the vehicle. Yet, use of the key and keyfob are still allowed.

Some other tidbits of info that some might find of interest is that the power windows can be raised from outside the vehicle by placing the key in the door lock and taken to the Lock position and held for 1.5 seconds. This will cause all the down windows to start rolling up. The windows will continue up until either closed or the key is released from the lock position.

Another note, if you use the key in the door, if you roll the key to the unlock position first and then to the lock position, this will "double lock" the vehicle. From what I can tell, the double lock feature is meant to make it more difficult for theives to get in/out of your car after they have gained initial entry.

Hopefully this helps.

The following users liked this post:
KS Lee (06-11-2022)
Old 04-23-2009, 09:10 AM
ud

that makes more sense... Do NA cars have this feature?

Old 04-23-2009, 02:28 PM

sorry but it makes no difference, what I did find out was that if I unlock the door with the key allows me to lock and unlock the door once manually and then will not alow me to lock or unlock the doors manually again, I appreciate your help. None of this seems to make sense to me. i should be able to unlock and get out of the car using the handle inside the car !!!!!

Thanks again , I'll keep trying.

Craig

Old 04-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My guess is some form of actuator or something in the door. IIRC that is what the problem was for my x-type. I had the dealer fix it. The GM dealer I bought mine from was able to fix a few problems before I bought it. Try contacting a tech on here and see if they can help.

As thermo said you can shut the windows and moonroof from outside of the car. You can also get a feature called global close which uses your remote fob to close the windows/roof.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Default Very Weird Door Lock Problem

Please help, I'm a new member who has the exact same door locking ploblem as nsboxing. On a 2001 3.0 X Type. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
David.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

David, try this: while inside the car, lock and unlock the doors until they fail to operate when attempting to unlock/lock the doors using the lock buttons on the doors. Now, doing 1 door at a time, push/pull on the lock to fully place the knob in the position that all the other doors are in (ie, if the doors should be unlocked, pull outwards on the lock button and vice versa). If the locks work after pulling/pushing on a lock button, odds are, that is your problem lock and what is happening is the car is not seeing the lock moving all the way to the desired position, this will then cause the locks to not work.

if you want more things to try, let me know and I will help you out.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:04 AM

Chris,
Thanks for the info, but as soon as you lock the drivers door lock button inside the car, all doors lock and you cannot move any of the door lock levers, on any of the doors, you are totally locked in until you press the unlock button on the key fob and then all doors will unlock and lock normally, you can hear all the door lock mechanisms working on all doors. This problem has only occurred during the last month when we have had below 0 degree temperatures. But as I say the mechanisms all seem to be working ok with the key fob.

Take care
David

Old 01-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Default still have the problem

Hi Dave

I still have the problem, still have no clue what could be wrong. Its a pain in the #$#$ but I will let you know if I find anything out.

Craig

Old 01-12-2010, 11:29 AM

Thinking about this, it must be dead locking the doors, does anyone know if there is a central door locking control unit, and if so, where it is ?.

David.

Quick Reply: Help Weird door lock problem