X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink for 2002 X-type

Old 07-27-2016, 07:11 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Homelink for 2002 X-type

Hi Guys and Gals,

So I got my new 2002 X-Type home and started reading all the manuals which I am lucky enough to have received with the car. I came across a section in one of them that talks about programming HomeLink. I had never heard of it before and as I read on I was thinking to myself "man, this is cool...to be able to open my garage door and the gates to my condo all from within a controller built into my car!!!!" However, I did not remember seeing those 3 buttons up by the map light but thought I better go check...and sure enough, my car was built without them...BUT there looks like a spot for it to be mounted (right behind the map lights) that looks like some kind of cover or something? Not sure.....

Ok...so, I really would love to have this in my car and I did massive searching on this forum, YouTube and the internet and cannot find a single thing that talks about buying the unit and installing it the proper way on the 2002 X-type. I see there are some that can mount in the visor but I don't want to tear that up and I saw no units on ebay that looked like they would fit. Now I do like the "rear view mirror" ones with the Homelink buttons on the rear view mirror however they need power to provide the 12v for the dimming and the operation. The mirror one would be PERFECT if only they could run on a 12v battery...it would be a piece of cake then to add one to any car but I can't find any like that...they all require power. Maybe having a battery defeats the "security" part of meaning it would be just like any standalone remote then and thieves could just steal it (your rear view mirror) out of your car and then go to your house and open the garage where as if it is getting 12v from the car it probably only works when the car is on and useless with the car off? Just guessing here...

So, I saw a few threads here and there about it, but it never seems to really get answered. What does one need to do to get Homelink installed in the Jag properly without doing damage to visors or headliners? Any ideas?

Thanks ahead of time ;-)

peace out,
daddylogan