X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooking up after market radio to Jaguar x type amplifier

Old 04-11-2015, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking up after market radio to Jaguar x type amplifier

Hi there I have a 2004 jaguar x type 3.0L. I bought an android radio (btw this radio so far seems AWESOME) its a pumpkin android (kit kat) double din radio you can find on amazon for over 300 bucks, for those looking to upgrade the stock LCD radio. I noticed this thing has an amp in the trunk and I think its the white cable that hooked into the original radio in the bottom right (as you were looking at the back of the old radio) I bought the harness that converts from the alpine one to the ISO standard, and the radio powers on and everything, there is just no sounds from the speakers. On top of hooking up the amplifier just to get sound, I also need to tap into the reverse (for rear view camera) I bought a wireless camera setup thank god I have no ideas where I would patch the wires through. THEN I want to get steering wheel controls working but that is the last of the list...

1. How do you hook up the amp to aftermarket radio? I see my radio I bought has a "amp con" wire not sure if that goes to the positive of the amp connection and I ground the other?

2. How do you tap into the reverse wire so my camera will turn on when reversing. I need to tap in to the reverse light I think at the shifter, then into the reverse light in the rear of the car.

3. How do you hook up the steering wheel controls? I think this radio it should work out of the box because it has the programmable interface built into the radio, but I'm not certain.

Have all these questions been answered? I searched and didn't find much. If not I will make a new posting with photos that depict all this stuff to help others, or I could add to another post if this has already has been posted. If so my apologies can someone show me the link?

~Jeff

Last edited by jagxtype76; 04-11-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:16 PM

What is this connector is it a fiber optic? I think I bit off more then I can chew with this task of installing this double din radio. Do I have to get a new amp and run analog cables to all the speakers now or is there some sort of converter for this, the radio I bought doesn't have fiber optic cable

Old 04-13-2015, 12:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My suggestion would be another amp.
I've never heard anything about this on here.
Which could be why no one has said anything, I don't believe anyone has done this.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:24 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

You have a little work to do i am afraid.
the amp in the back is connected via a fiber optic network along with the phone bluetooth and 6 cd changer if installed.
the good news.
all the speaker wires are connected to the amp so all you have to do is connect the speaker wires in the trunk to your head unit.
I recommend running the wires under the center console and under the carpet then go under the back seat to the amp.
unfortunately you now are bypassing the factory amp so you could remove it and install an after market one.

Here are the drawings have fun !!

Wiring Color Codes
N Brown
O Orange
B Black
S Slate
W White
L Light
K Pink
U Blue
G Green
P Purple
R Red
Y Yellow
BRD Braid
BOF Fiber optic (D2B Network)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2004XTypeElectrical_radio.pdf (510.8 KB, 1135 views)

Last edited by Paulc732; 04-14-2015 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Added wire colours
Old 04-15-2015, 12:23 AM

Thanks paulc732 that is a huge help, where did you get those schematics from do you have more

It looks like my stereo head will have enough wattage to power the speakers from just the radio itself I think its 40 watts x 4 not quite 300 but sufficient for now. I'm not looking for anything too crazy.

Can you tell me if there is is a bypass adapter for the amp? The guy that sold me x type harness from the UK said there should be a bypass... It looks like speaker wires are run to the back of the car I see some adapters, what are these harnesses in the trunk do these contain the speaker wires from the front dash? Anyone know? I included a photo of what I'm seeing in my trunk. I enlarged the 2 plugs I see

Old 04-29-2015, 11:05 PM

Does anyone know where the reverse wire is in the radio harness?

Old 05-04-2015, 01:52 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I used the green/black wire from the reversing sensor module in the boot(trunk) down near the spare wheel!!
Mines an estate, saloon similar I believe

Attached Thumbnails Hooking up after market radio to Jaguar x type amplifier-img_1773-optimized.jpg  
Old 07-12-2015, 01:52 PM

I'm about to take on this challenge and will be posting my install information along with a youtube video and pictures. This will be a Kenwood double din DDX711 into a 2004 Jaguar S type. I will be bypassing the factory amp along with the factory 6 disk CD changer. I will also be hooking up a rear camera and possibly a front facing camera both to be attached to a car DVR system. I'm not sure if I plan to use the factory speakers (as they don't sound too bad for now) at first but will be installing Polk Audio speakers in all 4 doors eventually. I will also be installing a yet to be determined sub. Updates coming soon!!

Old 09-03-2020, 08:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone answered what this plug is?