X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horse Power

Old 05-12-2016, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horse Power

I just bought a 2002 x-type and am looking at doing some horse power increases. I have the 3 liter v6 awd and was curioius as to what i could do to it? if you have any guidance please help. Also it is uk spec.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:45 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mccollumtom
I just bought a 2002 x-type and am looking at doing some horse power increases. I have the 3 liter v6 awd and was curioius as to what i could do to it? if you have any guidance please help. Also it is uk spec.
This kit here will add three horsepower without putting the wimpy transfer case at risk. :-)

Last edited by Lubrication; 05-13-2016 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Lubrication
This kit here will add three horsepower without putting the wimpy transfer case at risk. :-)
Awesome!... Lmao!

Old 05-13-2016, 07:18 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

In other words, you are limited as to what you can do and what the drive line will allow..
A K&N filter and a good tune-up is about all you can safely do for the X.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Ya know....I am kind of skeptical of all the doom and gloom about the transfer case exploding with anything harsher than a gentle stab of the throttle. We have had a couple members go auto crossing without an issue and you don't see too many posts about the transfer case going out anymore. I think a lot of that might be more urban legend based on some of the very early production cars and any others that might have went were already replaced, so the current "fleet" might be pretty robust at this point. I guess the real test with be with Lemons Racer on Saturday.

That said, unless you are going to spend a lot of money and time, there isn't much you can do as far as bolt on aftermarket parts. Spend 5 minutes searching on here and you will understand. This has been asked literally hundreds of times through the years.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:48 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Ya know....I am kind of skeptical of all the doom and gloom about the transfer case exploding .
I think maybe the words of caution is because the OP mentioned he had an 02 vintage X and that is really old and who knows if it ever had it's TC lube oil changed..

Old 05-13-2016, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I understand what you are saying, but I would think after 14 years if it was going to break, especially for lack of fluid, it would have broke a long time ago and if it DID break, it was fixed with something newer and probably more robust. Plus, years and years ago the "sealed for life" mantra from Jaguar was totally disproved, so people regularly changing their fluids probably have helped as well. I could certainly be wrong and base my theory on nothing more than lack of posts on here about transfer cases failing. Not saying there are no posts, but it seems posts about issues with it are pretty few and far between.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:00 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

The illusion of more HP can be achieved by dropping weight. I don't ride with the spare tire, jack, or tools in the trunk. In my experience I get a flat tire about once every three years so why drag around that extra 50 lbs of junk in the trunk? Also, I'd like to get a light weight battery, I think they are 15 lbs compared to the regular battery which weighs about 40 lbs.

The stock mufflers on the X are huge and heavy compared to a set of Magnaflows. A resonator delete with drop 10 lbs, but now you're changing the sound of the car. A little louder and deeper growl. I added a 3rd cold air pick up that goes to the grill, more air in and more air out and the engine sounds smoother at high rpms.

My next mod will be to install light weight seats in the front with no electric motors. This should drop 50 or more lbs.

The following users liked this post:
Cherry_560sel (08-12-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 07:09 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfadude
I guess the real test with be with Lemons Racer on Saturday.
Guess what, no transfer case exploding after about 13 hours of endurance racing at 6k RPMs. Only thing that took us off of the track for 1.5 hours was a small electrical issue that took a bit to figure out. We also run an 02. My advice is before you consider any performance modifications change all of your fluids, transfer case, differential, oil, transmission, brake, even coolant. Don't go cheap either, use full synthetic for everything. Yes, it will easily be $300 in fluids but it will save thousands later.

Next question is why do you want more HP? Are you racing? If so what kind? Are you just a spirited driver? The illusion is that more HP makes a car go faster, but this really only holds true in drag racing. If you want speed invest in suspension, brakes and things like that.

If you want to go fast in a straight line then it depends on how talented you are and how much time and money you want to invest. I do not want to add power to my racer, but if I did I would look into a CAT delete, straight pipes, and a reflash to start. Then I would search the Duratech 3.0 and see what others have done to it. Remember, reliability greatly decreases as HP increases, but it depends on your goals.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:39 PM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Npg offers a plenum spacer which has been tested and verified on both turbo and n/a mazda6 cars which share the duratec 30 platform. The lower intake plenum is identical to ours so It should work. In the 6crew forums the n/a cars ecus adjusted fuel ratio to keep within safe air/fuel mixtures so I'm jumping in...

Claims to make low to mid range torque by increasing the volume of air introduced into the upper plenum and its a relatively easy install...

Last edited by X-TypeMentality; 05-19-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:18 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Please keep us posted on the plenum spacer. I'm interested!

Old 05-21-2016, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Patterson
Please keep us posted on the plenum spacer. I'm interested!
Will do 🖒

Old 05-21-2016, 10:04 AM

Has anyone done a CAT delete? I've heard rumors of 30-40 hp gains. Curious if anyone has done this and their results.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lemons Racer
Has anyone done a CAT delete? I've heard rumors of 30-40 hp gains. Curious if anyone has done this and their results.
I did msds headers and ran a 2 into 1 hi flow cat and put it where the factory flex pipe/2 into 1 collector is. Downstreams are place just after cat and everything is copacetic. I don't know hp or torque gains but defintely added a decent amount of power. Had to add a performance resonator to quiet her down a bit, thing screams...

The following users liked this post:
chknhwk (10-22-2017)
Old 05-21-2016, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by X-TypeMentality
I did msds headers and ran a 2 into 1 hi flow cat and put it where the factory flex pipe/2 into 1 collector is. Downstreams are place just after cat and everything is copacetic. I don't know hp or torque gains but defintely added a decent amount of power. Had to add a performance resonator to quiet her down a bit, thing screams...
Did you have to flash the ECU? For my purposes I would just delete it, but I'm concerned the computer would just shut it off or put it in limp mode.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:09 AM

Did you have to flash the ECU? For my purposes I would just delete it, but I'm concerned the computer would just shut it off or put it in limp mode.
No, I didn't have it flashed, I just fired her up after install and hoped for no CEL. 600 miles and nothing so far related to headers and new cat. Taking her on a 500 mile round trip starting this eveving though...

Old 05-21-2016, 01:00 PM

No, I didn't have it flashed, I just fired her up after install and hoped for no CEL. 600 miles and nothing so far related to headers and new cat. Taking her on a 500 mile round trip starting this eveving though...
Keep us posted. I'm thinking straight piping the whole thing would be fun without compromising reliability. A side exhaust would look cool too.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:17 PM

Keep us posted. I'm thinking straight piping the whole thing would be fun without compromising reliability. A side exhaust would look cool too.
Haha funny you say that... I'm planning to do a side exit behind each rear wheel for next year after the motor build so I can design a full rear apron diffuser

Straight piping would be beneficial for you because you run WOT on a track. For us track day enthusiasts with mostly spirited street driving I think some back pressure is a good thing to keep some of the low end grunt. I'm thinking of getting a different style muffler to try and recreate some of that back pressure. My car screams high in the rpms and power band hits a little sooner than it used to but still that low end is lacking. I'm hoping the plenum spacer will help add some of that low end torque as well...

Last edited by X-TypeMentality; 05-21-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:25 PM

Haha funny you say that... I'm planning to do a side exit behind each rear wheel for next year after the motor build so I can design a full rear apron diffuser
Just be very careful doing that on the passenger side. The fuel rails run low over there. Keep the exhaust away from them. Love the idea of a rear diffuser. Eliminating the mufflers should help cut some weight out too.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:31 PM

Just be very careful doing that on the passenger side. The fuel rails run low over there. Keep the exhaust away from them. Love the idea of a rear diffuser. Eliminating the mufflers should help cut some weight out too.
Yup yup well aware ... gears have been turning. When motor gets built it includes a fuel cell in the trunk with hi performance fuel pump and will more than likely be re routing all the fuel lines anyway!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Horse Power