how to remove lug nut if rounded off - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum


X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by Jagbits
Click Here

how to remove lug nut if rounded off

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-03-2012, 09:02 PM
iownme's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 861
Thanked 70 Times in 64 Posts
Default how to remove lug nut if rounded off

Had to figure this out today, as the last freak i let work on my baby rounded off a lug nut.
I had my wheels off just before him, so i know it was him...lol

Take a smallish flat blade screwdriver and a hammer.
Punch the screwdriver through the end of the nut with the hammer.
Keep working away with the screwdriver until you tear through the tin all the way around, eventually the tin "overcoat" will be loose and broken enough to pry off.
Under that "overcoat" is an 18mm nut which you can remove with a socket....easy peasy....boy was i cursing until i figured that out
Attached Thumbnails
how to remove lug nut if rounded off-013.jpg   how to remove lug nut if rounded off-011.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-04-2012, 05:06 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have a locking nut that won't come off (You just can't get a grip on it, before it turns) is this what you mean by Lug nut. I need to replace it or the wheel wont come off. lol
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Thermo's Avatar
Veteran member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Great Mills, MD
Posts: 10,095
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,357 Times in 2,026 Posts
Default

Perebrine, you have a different issue. The factory Jaguar lugnuts have a thin tin cover to them. When this starts to fail, it can make removing the lugnuts a bear. In your case, the locking lugnut is starting to fail. If you need to remove this lugnut, let me know as there are 2 ways that I am aware to remove them. I do not want to post them here as this makes essentially any locking lugnut defeatable and should not be in the hands of just anyone (for obvious reasons). So, send me an PM through the site and I will let you know what you need to do to get that lugnut off.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thermo For This Useful Post:
Perebrine (03-05-2012)
  #4  
Old 03-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Lcgi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 892
Thanked 67 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iownme View Post
Had to figure this out today, as the last freak i let work on my baby rounded off a lug nut.
I had my wheels off just before him, so i know it was him...lol

Take a smallish flat blade screwdriver and a hammer.
Punch the screwdriver through the end of the nut with the hammer.
Keep working away with the screwdriver until you tear through the tin all the way around, eventually the tin "overcoat" will be loose and broken enough to pry off.
Under that "overcoat" is an 18mm nut which you can remove with a socket....easy peasy....boy was i cursing until i figured that out
Howdy,
I had a similar problem.... its caused by an idiot using the wrong size socket for the job at hand and thus allows the stainless steel sheetmetal cover to slip - on the nut.

The solution is not to destroy the cover....

The stainless steel sheetmetal cover can be 'ironed back' into its correct shape and profile by using the correct socket size and a nylon hammer.

Carefully, align the sheetmetal cover with the nut beneath (as best you can) then drive (hammer) the Correct size socket - fully home. This will reshape the sheetmetal back to its usual tight-fit over the nut beneath it, then making it straight forward to remove with your socket wrench.

Never use 'Imperial' sockets on the 'Metric' lug nuts...

Hope this helps.....
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lcgi For This Useful Post:
Aonsaithya (09-28-2013), Comrade Gibby (10-21-2013)
  #5  
Old 09-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: braintree
Posts: 116
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default Please help lug nut split into pieces, another loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
Perebrine, you have a different issue. The factory Jaguar lugnuts have a thin tin cover to them. When this starts to fail, it can make removing the lugnuts a bear. In your case, the locking lugnut is starting to fail. If you need to remove this lugnut, let me know as there are 2 ways that I am aware to remove them. I do not want to post them here as this makes essentially any locking lugnut defeatable and should not be in the hands of just anyone (for obvious reasons). So, send me an PM through the site and I will let you know what you need to do to get that lugnut off.
Please help, I'm not trying to hijack this thread. I've two lug nuts which cannot come out. The front one the tin cover lug nut is split into pieces and the rear one the tin cover is just rotating round.
At the moment I cant remove the tyres and my car is due for MOT. Please help. Thx
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Norri's Avatar
Photobucket
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PHX some of the time
Posts: 80,249
Thanked 3,703 Times in 3,402 Posts
Default

Just chisel the cover off and you should be able to get a socket on the nut underneath.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Norri For This Useful Post:
Comrade Gibby (09-28-2013)
  #7  
Old 09-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: braintree
Posts: 116
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norri View Post
Just chisel the cover off and you should be able to get a socket on the nut underneath.
Thanks sir, the cover is already out and what I can see is just the a smooth round nut, so how will the socket get a grip? Sorry for bothering you sir.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-28-2013, 06:48 PM
Norri's Avatar
Photobucket
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PHX some of the time
Posts: 80,249
Thanked 3,703 Times in 3,402 Posts
Default

No bother! In that case you are going to have to resort to drilling and chiseling the old one off.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Norri For This Useful Post:
Comrade Gibby (09-28-2013)
  #9  
Old 09-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: braintree
Posts: 116
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norri View Post
No bother! In that case you are going to have to resort to drilling and chiseling the old one off.
Oh dear! what socket did you use, sir? I can see the picture you posted looks the same like mine one. Thanks, sir
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Lcgi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 892
Thanked 67 Times in 49 Posts
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by iownme View Post
Had to figure this out today, as the last freak i let work on my baby rounded off a lug nut.
I had my wheels off just before him, so i know it was him...lol

Take a smallish flat blade screwdriver and a hammer.
Punch the screwdriver through the end of the nut with the hammer.
Keep working away with the screwdriver until you tear through the tin all the way around, eventually the tin "overcoat" will be loose and broken enough to pry off.
Under that "overcoat" is an 18mm nut which you can remove with a socket....easy peasy....boy was i cursing until i figured that out
AS mentioned in other posts on this topic....... the real cause of the dilemma is someone using a 3/4" socket on what is essentially a 19mm lug nut.
The Tin you refer to is actually stainless steel - and there for a purpose.

The easiest way to remove a spinning S/S cover... is to drive on a 19mm socket - this will iron out the S/S jacket to its original shape and facilitate the lug nut removal.
The action of drilling the S/S cover and tearing it off is just barbaric and that act of a backyard butcher...... @#$%!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-29-2013, 04:35 AM
Norri's Avatar
Photobucket
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PHX some of the time
Posts: 80,249
Thanked 3,703 Times in 3,402 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcgi View Post
The action of drilling the S/S cover and tearing it off is just barbaric and that act of a backyard butcher...... @#$%!
What if the cover has gone already as Gibby describes?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-29-2013, 07:55 AM
Lcgi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 892
Thanked 67 Times in 49 Posts
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norri View Post
What if the cover has gone already as Gibby describes?
Hi Norri,
You can't unscramble the egg.... eh?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-29-2013, 09:23 AM
JimC64's Avatar
Photobucket
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Glasgow, Scotland UK
Posts: 46,378
Thanked 8,175 Times in 3,950 Posts
Default




Doesn't help with your issue, but perhaps moving forward?......

We used these on Peter's X type......fitted perfectly, fairly cost effective solution and no issues.


20 X M12 X 1.5 TAPERED ALLOY WHEEL NUTS FIT JEEP COMPASS PATRIOT WRANGLER | eBay

The locking wheel nuts have been binned!

Who steals alloys these days??


Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimC64 For This Useful Post:
Lcgi (09-29-2013)
  #14  
Old 09-29-2013, 10:08 AM
Lcgi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 892
Thanked 67 Times in 49 Posts
Arrow

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the reference to the alternate lug nuts.

I wonder if other M12 x1.5 Alloy Nuts (with tapered seats) are available in any range of colours ? (such as we sometimes see with blue or red anodised parts)

The mind boggles.....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Thermo's Avatar
Veteran member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Great Mills, MD
Posts: 10,095
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,357 Times in 2,026 Posts
Default

For those with lugnuts that can not be removed (tin outer casing is already removed), PM me and I will send you some information on how to get the lugnuts off. I do not feel at ease putting it here as this method overrides any lock that you may have on your wheels. It is the process which the professional thieves use to get your wheels. I don't want the average joe wanting a nice set of wheels to have this information.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thermo For This Useful Post:
Comrade Gibby (09-29-2013)
  #16  
Old 09-29-2013, 11:06 AM
larueb's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 307
Thanked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Default

If you can get a bite with a pipe wrench, it will come off. Pipe wrench is designed for round items and works great with "rounded" problems.
Good Luck!!!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-29-2013, 01:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: braintree
Posts: 116
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
For those with lugnuts that can not be removed (tin outer casing is already removed), PM me and I will send you some information on how to get the lugnuts off. I do not feel at ease putting it here as this method overrides any lock that you may have on your wheels. It is the process which the professional thieves use to get your wheels. I don't want the average joe wanting a nice set of wheels to have this information.
Hi Thermo, I'm trying to sent a private message on the above issue-tin outer casing, which I have already removed, its a headace, please PM me if u know how. Thanks sir.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Mikey's Avatar
Untitled photo Untitled.png
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Perth Ontario Canada
Posts: 9,419
Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,418 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Gibby View Post
Hi Thermo, I'm trying to sent a private message on the above issue-tin outer casing, which I have already removed, its a headace, please PM me if u know how. Thanks sir.
Just take it to a corner garage and ask them to do it- they see this kind of thing all the time unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: braintree
Posts: 116
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Just take it to a corner garage and ask them to do it- they see this kind of thing all the time unfortunately.
Hi thermo, the corner garages are the ones that have damaged these two lugnuts. They say, once beaten twice shy, so going there again could be committing suicide
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Mikey's Avatar
Untitled photo Untitled.png
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Perth Ontario Canada
Posts: 9,419
Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,418 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Gibby View Post
Hi thermo, the corner garages are the ones that have damaged these two lugnuts. They say, once beaten twice shy, so going there again could be committing suicide
The OEM lugnuts on our cars are shyte- it's just a matter of time till they all fail no matter who removes them.. I wouldn't be too hard on your garage

Your choices are pounding on a smaller socket and hoping that works without snapping off the lugnut or having the garage do it.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XK8 Front shock top nut torque? Neil1664 XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 15 12-02-2015 01:18 PM
When you lose the capability to gradually renew the autobox fluid... aholbro1 XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 3 10-12-2015 09:28 PM
Steering rack removal sogood XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 9 09-15-2015 08:35 AM
What size socket for rear hub nut? iownme X-Type ( X400 ) 2 09-11-2015 03:57 AM
1963 mk2 & 1957 Salon Parts Alert - Links 1964Daimler MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 0 09-09-2015 12:28 PM


Tags
03, bolt, jaguar, locking, loose, lug, lugnut, nut, nuts, remove, removing, rounded, screwdriver, stripped, trouble, type


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 PM.


JAGUAR and its logo are the registered trademarks of Jaguar Cars Limited. Jaguar Cars Limited is not affiliated with JaguarForums.com.