X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to remove lug nut if rounded off

Old 03-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts
Default how to remove lug nut if rounded off

Had to figure this out today, as the last freak i let work on my baby rounded off a lug nut.
I had my wheels off just before him, so i know it was him...lol

Take a smallish flat blade screwdriver and a hammer.
Punch the screwdriver through the end of the nut with the hammer.
Keep working away with the screwdriver until you tear through the tin all the way around, eventually the tin "overcoat" will be loose and broken enough to pry off.
Under that "overcoat" is an 18mm nut which you can remove with a socket....easy peasy....boy was i cursing until i figured that out

Attached Thumbnails how to remove lug nut if rounded off-013.jpg   how to remove lug nut if rounded off-011.jpg  
Old 03-04-2012, 04:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a locking nut that won't come off (You just can't get a grip on it, before it turns) is this what you mean by Lug nut. I need to replace it or the wheel wont come off. lol

Old 03-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Perebrine, you have a different issue. The factory Jaguar lugnuts have a thin tin cover to them. When this starts to fail, it can make removing the lugnuts a bear. In your case, the locking lugnut is starting to fail. If you need to remove this lugnut, let me know as there are 2 ways that I am aware to remove them. I do not want to post them here as this makes essentially any locking lugnut defeatable and should not be in the hands of just anyone (for obvious reasons). So, send me an PM through the site and I will let you know what you need to do to get that lugnut off.

The following users liked this post:
Perebrine (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by iownme
Had to figure this out today, as the last freak i let work on my baby rounded off a lug nut.

Keep working away with the screwdriver until you tear through the tin all the way around, eventually the tin "overcoat" will be loose and broken enough to pry off.
Under that "overcoat" is an 18mm nut which you can remove with a socket....easy peasy....boy was i cursing until i figured that out
Howdy,
I had a similar problem.... its caused by an idiot using the wrong size socket for the job at hand and thus allows the stainless steel sheetmetal cover to slip - on the nut.

The solution is not to destroy the cover....

The stainless steel sheetmetal cover can be 'ironed back' into its correct shape and profile by using the correct socket size and a nylon hammer.

Carefully, align the sheetmetal cover with the nut beneath (as best you can) then drive (hammer) the Correct size socket - fully home. This will reshape the sheetmetal back to its usual tight-fit over the nut beneath it, then making it straight forward to remove with your socket wrench.

Never use 'Imperial' sockets on the 'Metric' lug nuts...

Hope this helps.....

The following 2 users liked this post by Lcgi:
Aonsaithya (09-28-2013), Comrade Gibby (10-21-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Please help lug nut split into pieces, another loose

Originally Posted by Thermo
Perebrine, you have a different issue. The factory Jaguar lugnuts have a thin tin cover to them. When this starts to fail, it can make removing the lugnuts a bear. In your case, the locking lugnut is starting to fail. If you need to remove this lugnut, let me know as there are 2 ways that I am aware to remove them. I do not want to post them here as this makes essentially any locking lugnut defeatable and should not be in the hands of just anyone (for obvious reasons). So, send me an PM through the site and I will let you know what you need to do to get that lugnut off.
Please help, I'm not trying to hijack this thread. I've two lug nuts which cannot come out. The front one the tin cover lug nut is split into pieces and the rear one the tin cover is just rotating round.
At the moment I cant remove the tyres and my car is due for MOT. Please help. Thx

Old 09-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Just chisel the cover off and you should be able to get a socket on the nut underneath.

Comrade Gibby (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
Just chisel the cover off and you should be able to get a socket on the nut underneath.
Thanks sir, the cover is already out and what I can see is just the a smooth round nut, so how will the socket get a grip? Sorry for bothering you sir.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:48 PM

No bother! In that case you are going to have to resort to drilling and chiseling the old one off.

Comrade Gibby (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 06:23 PM

No bother! In that case you are going to have to resort to drilling and chiseling the old one off.
Oh dear! what socket did you use, sir? I can see the picture you posted looks the same like mine one. Thanks, sir

Old 09-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Arrow

Originally Posted by iownme

AS mentioned in other posts on this topic....... the real cause of the dilemma is someone using a 3/4" socket on what is essentially a 19mm lug nut.
The Tin you refer to is actually stainless steel - and there for a purpose.

The easiest way to remove a spinning S/S cover... is to drive on a 19mm socket - this will iron out the S/S jacket to its original shape and facilitate the lug nut removal.
The action of drilling the S/S cover and tearing it off is just barbaric and that act of a backyard butcher...... @#$%!

Old 09-29-2013, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lcgi
The action of drilling the S/S cover and tearing it off is just barbaric and that act of a backyard butcher...... @#$%!
What if the cover has gone already as Gibby describes?

Old 09-29-2013, 06:55 AM
Arrow

What if the cover has gone already as Gibby describes?
Hi Norri,
You can't unscramble the egg.... eh?

Old 09-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Doesn't help with your issue, but perhaps moving forward?......

We used these on Peter's X type......fitted perfectly, fairly cost effective solution and no issues.

20 X M12 X 1.5 TAPERED ALLOY WHEEL NUTS FIT JEEP COMPASS PATRIOT WRANGLER | eBay

The locking wheel nuts have been binned!

Who steals alloys these days??

Lcgi (09-29-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Arrow

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the reference to the alternate lug nuts.

I wonder if other M12 x1.5 Alloy Nuts (with tapered seats) are available in any range of colours ? (such as we sometimes see with blue or red anodised parts)

The mind boggles.....

Old 09-29-2013, 10:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

For those with lugnuts that can not be removed (tin outer casing is already removed), PM me and I will send you some information on how to get the lugnuts off. I do not feel at ease putting it here as this method overrides any lock that you may have on your wheels. It is the process which the professional thieves use to get your wheels. I don't want the average joe wanting a nice set of wheels to have this information.

Comrade Gibby (09-29-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

If you can get a bite with a pipe wrench, it will come off. Pipe wrench is designed for round items and works great with "rounded" problems.
Good Luck!!!

Old 09-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Thermo
For those with lugnuts that can not be removed (tin outer casing is already removed), PM me and I will send you some information on how to get the lugnuts off. I do not feel at ease putting it here as this method overrides any lock that you may have on your wheels. It is the process which the professional thieves use to get your wheels. I don't want the average joe wanting a nice set of wheels to have this information.
Hi Thermo, I'm trying to sent a private message on the above issue-tin outer casing, which I have already removed, its a headace, please PM me if u know how. Thanks sir.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Comrade Gibby
Hi Thermo, I'm trying to sent a private message on the above issue-tin outer casing, which I have already removed, its a headace, please PM me if u know how. Thanks sir.
Just take it to a corner garage and ask them to do it- they see this kind of thing all the time unfortunately.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Just take it to a corner garage and ask them to do it- they see this kind of thing all the time unfortunately.
Hi thermo, the corner garages are the ones that have damaged these two lugnuts. They say, once beaten twice shy, so going there again could be committing suicide

Old 09-29-2013, 04:35 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Comrade Gibby
Hi thermo, the corner garages are the ones that have damaged these two lugnuts. They say, once beaten twice shy, so going there again could be committing suicide
The OEM lugnuts on our cars are shyte- it's just a matter of time till they all fail no matter who removes them.. I wouldn't be too hard on your garage

Your choices are pounding on a smaller socket and hoping that works without snapping off the lugnut or having the garage do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to remove lug nut if rounded off