X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove the pin stripe?

Old 01-01-2017, 10:20 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default How to remove the pin stripe?

My 04 had a dent on the pass. side fender at the head light, it'll cost too much for a little dent, so I keep check on those you-pull-it junk yards, finally a wrecked 03 with exact color came in the yard, the same side fender was perfect, I pulled it out for $33, but it had a pin stripe on it, if any body know how to remove it with out damage to the original paint?

Old 01-02-2017, 08:10 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

If the pin stripe is just a tape then you should be able to pick is off with your finger nail. It may leave some adhesive which could be removed by something like "Goof Off" which I found at Home Depot. Before you try any solvent on the fender be sure to try it on the paint in a place where it won't show.

If it is a painted pin stripe then it is a harder problem. You could try solvents like lacquer thinner or acetone. Sometimes the added on paint is more soluble than the base paint. Be sure and try this first on the base paint where is does not show.

Next you could try an abrasive. You could try rubbing compound which will abrade the surface slowly. If the pin stripe is softer than the base paint you may get this to work without removing too much base paint. The risk here is that you will abrade the base paint to point where it will start to show the undercoat.

You did not mention the original color. If it is a simple color, no glass dust, then you may be able to get a spray can and just cover it over. If the fender is off the car then this is easy. Paints with glass dust or metal flakes are very hard to match, even pros can find it difficult.

Pete.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:59 AM

Thaks Pete, the paint is metallic Burgundy, the pinstripe is brush painted, I've thought all that, but want to know if any body have easier way to do it with minimal harm to the paint, I'll try couple drops of solution, if it's not work I have to take my time to slowly sand it down (very slowly and carefully) or scrape it with razor blade,if lucky it's not scratched much, then I only have to buffing and waxing..

Old 01-02-2017, 10:57 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

There is another trick but it can be risky. Put scotch tape along the paint stripe and press it down very well. Push it down with your finger nail. Then take the end of the tape and pull it off fast. The paint from the stripe may come off.

This depends on the adhesion of the paint stripe to be less good then the adhesion of the base paint. There are 3 possible outcomes: This may work perfectly and remove the paint stripe. It may not work at all. Or it may pull off some off the base paint. There is no really good way to test this, you just have to give it a try.

Pete.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

You could always add your own pinstripe to the car and also cover up the painted on one. Easiest way I think.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:35 PM

Thanks guy, I like my car plan, so I will try the tape trick, I don't think the Scott tape would pull the original paint since it very hard and smooth.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:03 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Thang Nguyen (01-09-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Thang Nguyen
Thanks guy, I like my car plan, so I will try the tape trick, I don't think the Scott tape would pull the original paint since it very hard and smooth.
If you would try the tape you would want to take some Isopropyl alcohol and clean the area you plan on putting the tape on so that it has a better chance of sticking. Polishes or waxes on the surface would not allow the tape to stick. I doubt the tape method would work and if you are wrong about the original paint not coming off then you are really screwed. Maybe try and put down painter's tape on either side of the pinstripe so only that is exposed. Then clean that area only with the alcohol. Then try your tape trick. That way you will get the best amount of adhesion to the pinstripe and very little to the paint of the car.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:16 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

An Eraser Wheel, like this:

Pinstripe Decal Eraser Wheel Pad Sticker Removal Tool ABN ABN3644

There are many types, the 3M version being the largest (and most expensive)

This one is $9, and should last you many uses on many vehicles.

Pinstripe Decal Eraser Wheel Pad Sticker Removal Tool ABN ABN3644-Newegg.com

They are handy for knocking a lot of different things off glass and painted surfaces, things you might have used razor blades, finger nails or solvents for in the past. Just chuck it in a drill motor and go at it, they are really easy to use, and super-safe on the paint or glass.

They take factory graphics or those stupid dealership stickers off of paint like a champ, I highly recommend!

Old 01-07-2017, 07:22 AM

Thank you Bruce, I've try the razor blade, Scott tape but they're not safe, I'lltry thí.