Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-to:Tune up/Spark plug change FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 12:09 AM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

JDRay,

Was it one of these connectors in the attached picture?

If so, which one? If you can identify the part that it plugs in to, that'd go a long way toward helping you figure out what needs to be wired back.

I'm assuming the connection that broke off is one of the plugs on your "Intake Manifold Wiring Harness".

And I'm assuming you don't have the special Bosch $2500 repair kit (obviously!!!) but the following link is the repair kit guide, and I'd assume this would help you narrow things down.

Jaguar Wiring Harness Repair Guide (PDF)
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...67720277,d.b2U

It sounds like you just need to crimp the appropriate wires to a butt head connector that will work with your existing plug, which I assume is still in good shape? (minus the wires having been ripped out).

If you're referring to the middle-three of the electrical connectors on the rear of the Intake Manifold, I have a close-up of that I found online. I'm not at all sure, but I see this being referred to as an intake air temperature sensor? (don't quote me on that though).

Attached Thumbnails How-to:Tune up/Spark plug change FAQ-screen-shot-2014-05-31-10.53.23-pm.png   How-to:Tune up/Spark plug change FAQ-screen-shot-2014-05-31-11.18.35-pm.png  

Last edited by brainy_smurf; 06-01-2014 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old 06-01-2014, 09:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My roommate, a mechanic, ended up going to the junkyard and pulling a couple connectors off a similar engine, so we're covered.

This whole thing started with a misfire code in #5. I replaced the coil pack, that didn't fix it. Then I replaced the plug, which was in terrible shape. I pulled the #4 plug to compare, and it was in not-great shape. Decided to put all new plugs in while trying to figure out the problem. Injector, maybe? Anyhow, we took off the manifold, and that's when the connectors broke.

As we tunnel down through this engine, it looks like a lot of the maintenance was deferred. I've been driving it ~200 miles a day, 5 days a week, since I bought it in March, so I'm not helping much. The clock has ~117K miles on it, so it's probably time to give it a good going through. With an ASE-certified mechanic specializing in European sports cars living in the house, it seems like a resource to take advantage of.

If anyone has any tips about why I'd have a misfire on #5, please let me know.

Thanks.

JD

Old 12-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Patterson
OK, I got it. Stupid mistake! I forgot to replace one of the big clamp rings that go around the MAF sensor tube. I had noticed this ring missing, but the corrugated hose fits so tight over the tube from the air box, that I figured it made a 'Good enough' seal. I didn't think it would cause my car to act so crazy! Anyway, I did the spark plug change at my Dad's house, so I'll have to ride over and pick up my clamp ring.

I used zip ties so I can drive in the meantime. Car runs normal now

what is that box attached to the corrugated tube - it's attached below that vacuum line - behind the zip tie on the left? asking because I want to know if I can eliminate it when I do an aftermarket set up...

Old 12-25-2014, 08:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Great Write Up/my experience/check engine reset

I just got through with my project. I had the problem with my X type behaving badly on cold weather days. I changed all the usual stuff, IMT gasket, PVC tube, brake booster vacuum pipe. Etc but still had the problem. Decided to change manifold gaskets and found the previous owner over-tightened the short bolts and the nuts had become detached that hold the manifold tight. If you looked you could actually see the gasket between to upper and lower intake gasket on the first cylinder. After a search I found the parts on e-bay for $140 and it was real simple to remove and replace the lower intake manifold. (Before that I panicked and called jag just to see what they would charge and they wanted $1300 for the set of lower intake manifolds). While there I changed all the coils and plugs. Car runs amazing... before it was like a granny car and now it's so fun to drive. The morale of the story is don't over-tighten those bolts. I don't think there is a way to fix. (Previous mechanic had tried something like JB weld to hold it in but it did not hold.). Now all I need to do is figure out how to reset the check engine light.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:07 AM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Meouch
what is that box attached to the corrugated tube - it's attached below that vacuum line - behind the zip tie on the left? asking because I want to know if I can eliminate it when I do an aftermarket set up...
I don't know what that box is. I peered into it with a flashlight and It's an empty plastic box with some louvers inside. Maybe it's a resonator to the rest of the system. It's actually clean inside, no dirt debris. Who knows, you could try deleting it and see how she runs. Let us know.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Spark plugs and gaskets...Video

Hi folks,

Wanted to insert a >>>
<<< where the gentleman replaces his spark plugs and upper & lower intake manifold gaskets. Sometimes we need to watch a video instead of reading.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:13 PM

This is a great write up!!!! Quick question? I need to change my spark plugs but don't know which socket attachment to use. Please help. I got the coils off and gotta order new ones. But I can't get to my spark plugs. How do you set the torque and spacing for the plugs as well? Thanks in advance

Old 04-28-2016, 04:22 PM

I did this job two weeks ago and I wanted to post a few of my thoughts on this job.

1. Take lots of photos with your phone or camera at ever step of the way.

2. Take your time. This is not a hard job, just lots of things to take off and keep track of. It took me about 6 hours with an hour break for lunch. I'm a DYI mechanic, not a pro by any means.

3. A few things I stumbled on.

4. Although I bought new gaskets, the old ones looked just as good as the new ones and I didn't want to push my luck taking the lower manifold off so I left them on. I had bought the replacements at Auto Zone for about 12 bucks a set so no big loss IMO.

5. I replaced all coils and plugs. No idea on the condition of the coils but the plugs were definitely shot. Burnt marks round the porcelain base and the tips were all fouled. I used NGK plugs.

6. Put everything back together and started it up. It ran very smooth at idle and took it for a test drive. Cleared all the codes and it ran great.

It was a bit of work but to me it was worth it. I don't mind a little challenge and time spent under the hood especially if it will save me big bucks. I have know idea how much a Jag dealer would have charged to do this but I'm sure it would have been more then I would want to pay. You get a certain satisfaction and boost in confidence in your skills after the job like this is done and it went smoothly.

Well best of luck to all those who attempt this. Take your time, go slow and take lots of pics. Oh yeah, do your research on this forum too!

Car is on 102,000 miles.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:02 AM

In the OP the author refers to TB many times.

What does TB stand for?

Old 08-29-2017, 08:04 AM
      Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mojorising
      In the OP the author refers to TB many times.

What does TB stand for?
      throttle body?

Old 08-29-2017, 09:35 AM

Thanks Slownlo.

I found an article that suggests a misfire could be due to vacuum leak.

It suggests checking 'codes' before changing plugs in case the misfire is a vacuum issue.

How do you check the 'codes' ?

Can you do this yourself or does the dealer have a machine to do this?

I don't wanna go near a Jag dealer if I can avoid it.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:51 AM
      Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

In the USA autozone may read them free, if so, get the list then post them here

Old 08-29-2017, 09:52 AM

I use a basic obd 2 scanner from auto zone .it gets most of the basic codes . Then google the code with the word jaguar before it and it starts you down the path

Old 08-30-2017, 09:18 AM

^Thanks guys.

I have found an OB2 scanner on ebay. (I am guessing OBD2 is a standard so any OBD2 scanner will work?)

Where/how does it connect to the X-Type to extract the data?

Old 08-30-2017, 09:55 AM

under steering wheel nearer to radio. the connector will look like the connector on obd2 . male/female

at about 70,000 miles my x-type developed a misfire . felt like someone was tapping my brakes while i was cruising down the road.

i put 6 new plugs and coil packs and it runs like a champ.

i decided just to do 6 so i didn't have to deal with figuring which one was failing

plus if one failed today, how long until the next.

while you are in there inspect the spark plug holes to make sure no oil is leaking into that area from the valve cover gasket that surround them. i have read that oil leak can cause misfires as well.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:17 PM
      Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
      Default Spark plugs

Thanks for this write up, its great.

Would you have some info about replacing the windshield wiper res. HOSE.

I cannot see the connection to the reservoir, that's where I have a leak.

Many thanks,
      Walter

Old 08-31-2017, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by slownlo
      i decided just to do 6 so i didn't have to deal with figuring which one was failing

no oil is leaking into that area from the valve cover gasket that surround them. i have read that oil leak can cause misfires as well.
      Yes, do all 6. It is too much hassle getting that air intake off!

I had oil leak from valve cover gasket on a celica years ago. But when the engine started there was a big cloud blue smoke. So i don't think it is leaky valve cover gasket on the x-type.

Anyway, thanks for the tips on the scanner socket.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:23 PM
      Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
      Default Upper Intake Manifold Gaskets?

Thanks, I changed plugs, intake manifold gaskets and IMT gaskets yesterday on my 2005 X-type 3.0, with much help from this thread and a youtube video by World Mechanics.
      One question: I ordered Felpro gaskets from Rock Auto, and their catalog it showed upper and lower gaskets. When I opened up the intake manifold, I only saw lower gaskets. I assume maybe it's a year/model variation, but I'm curious whether anyone else has encountered the same thing? Would anyone like some free Felpro upper manifold gaskets? It's the least I could do for the invaluable volunteer spirit and help on this forum!

Old 01-29-2018, 04:16 PM
      Veteran Member
      Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Pretty sure you only replaced the UPPER gaskets. To replace the power, requires more disassembly than just intake manifold. See =

Old 01-29-2018, 04:17 PM
      Veteran Member
      Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Lower*

Quick Reply: How-to:Tune up/Spark plug change FAQ