Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Idle Issues

2002 Xtype 3.0 Liter
I recently had to replace my Fuel Pump, and I am having some very odd idle issues. Before my fuel pump failed the car would start and Idle High: about 1300 or so but would not go past 5 mph when drying to drive it. Then the pump went out, and had been replaced now it starts again, and it will go past 5 mph but it still idles very high and when first starting kicks up to about 3000 and then lowers down to about 1100, but when driving the car revs up and down at slower speeds and when coming to a stop. I have checked for vaccum links under the hood with carb cleaner, but have yet to find any. I notice the problem is worse going up hill. Any suggestions? Thank You in advance.

Oh one more thing, there is a small port of some sort on the top of the transmission bell housing that does not have any hose connected to it. it's clearly visible from the top of the trunk looking down it's just right of the throttle bottom area. I'll try to get a picture of it to post. I did spray carb cleaner on the port and nothing happen.

Curt

Old 05-19-2016, 09:17 PM

Oh here is the pic of the port (inlet) that is on the top of the trans looking down on the drivers side.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Check fuel trims. High idle probably is an air leak.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:33 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by curtizb
Oh one more thing, there is a small port of some sort on the top of the transmission bell housing that does not have any hose connected to it. it's clearly visible from the top of the trunk looking down it's just right of the throttle bottom area. I'll try to get a picture of it to post. I did spray carb cleaner on the port and nothing happen.

Curt
I think that is a vent of some sort..I believe at one time there was a dust cover over it.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:39 AM
Default fuel trim

Originally Posted by JagV8
Check fuel trims. High idle probably is an air leak.
Thanks for the quick supply. When you say check the fuel trims how do I go about that? Forgive my ignorance on matter... Curt

Old 05-21-2016, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks for the quick supply. When you say check the fuel trims how do I go about that? Forgive my ignorance on matter... Curt
You would use a half decent quality OBD2 scanner to check fuel trims, it plugs into the port around the hood release lever.
Do a search on youtube for "checking fuel trims with obd2 scanner.
A little googling with put you on the path to understanding what fuel trims are and how to use that info.
Or find the trim values and post them here

The following users liked this post:
curtizb (05-21-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 07:32 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Curtizb, just to ask a silly question, have you cleaned the small port in the throttlebody that bypasses the butterfly valve. If that gets some gunk in it, the car then has to use the main throttle valve to control the idle which may lead to the high idle. A little bit of throttlebody cleaner should do the trick to clear out the port.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:19 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Is there a check engine light on? Have you checked for codes?

Old 05-21-2016, 07:28 PM
Default Butterfly Valve

Originally Posted by Thermo
Curtizb, just to ask a silly question, have you cleaned the small port in the throttlebody that bypasses the butterfly valve. If that gets some gunk in it, the car then has to use the main throttle valve to control the idle which may lead to the high idle. A little bit of throttlebody cleaner should do the trick to clear out the port.

Not silly at all, I will take all the help I can get and the answer is not I have not. The only thing I have done is shot a little carb cleaner into the main butterfly valve. The car had been sitting for way too long over a year, so I am sure the gas turned to mush since I live in VA and they put Ethanol in the gas which I am told turns to alcohol or even WATER after a long period. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I may just have to take that whole TB off and give it a real cleaning.

Thanks Curt

Old 05-21-2016, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lemons Racer
Is there a check engine light on? Have you checked for codes?

I have an OBD2 Reader that works with my Android Phone, but it says cannot establish link. Only one person I know of has been able to connect to the computer in this model and he had an 800.00 OBD2 unit with print out. I have tried different auto shops and still not connection to computer.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:43 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I have an OBD2 Reader that works with my Android Phone, but it says cannot establish link. Only one person I know of has been able to connect to the computer in this model and he had an 800.00 OBD2 unit with print out. I have tried different auto shops and still not connection to computer.
I have one of those ebay $7 Bluetooth OBD2 units with the free app as well and they are quirky at best. It works on my 14 Jetta but not on my 00 Firebird. I haven't tried it on the Jag yet. I did borrow a decent plug in one from a friend and it worked great. Really surprised the local auto shop's reader didn't work. If you think you have bad gas you may want to consider draining as much of the tank as you can or at least putting in an additive.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:11 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

curtizb, wish you lived a little closer to the VA/MD line. I would tell you to come on over. I live about 40 miles east of Richmond at the southern tip of Maryland.

As for getting the code reader to work. I have the ELM327 unit that works with the Android phone. I have had 2 issues with it and this is how you overcome them.

The easiest one is you need to plug in the ELM unit with the car off. You can then start the car and connect your Android phone to the unit at that point. The reason behind this is you need to establish a time lock with the ECU so you can access the information at the correct time.

The second issue is not being able to establish a bluetooth link between your phone and the ELM unit. First start with wiping from memory any link you have to the OBD unit in your phone. This will help ensure we don't have something else going on here. After starting up the car and getting power to the plug in unit, turn on/ensure on the bluetooth in your phone. Now, tell it to do a scan. It should come up with something to the effect of "pair to OBD". You will want to accept this. It should then ask you for a code. Most of the ELM327 units use the code "1234". Type that into your phone. From there, it should give you a message about the phone being linked to the OBD unit. You can then open up the Torque app and it should connect to the car.

If for some reason it still will not connect, then most likely you have a bad ELM unit. I found mine went bad after a year or so of just leaving it plugged into the car so I could access the data whenever I wanted.

ONe other tidbit of info. There are 2 different versions of the ELM327 unit out there. There are those that work with the CAN Bus system and those that can't. The cheaper ones don't, but that is what you can use on your car. The more expensive ones ($40 vice $20 on ebay) can deal with both styles of vehicles. Jaguar made the change with the electrical "face lift" done in early 2004.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Default Idle Issue resolved!!

First off thank you guys for being so considerate and sharing you time and knowledge with me and others. The Idle issue has been resolved after much trouble shooting. I'll skip to the fix: I just loosened the TPS and had my Mom sit in the car until the idle came down to 800. Had her pump the gas and whalla! No more idle fluxation! I still have a check engine light on and also got the DSC light for a moment but car is running nicely. I think my next step is to clean out the Throttle Body for good measure and get new plugs. The car had been sitting for two years so it's going to need some tweaking. I'm going to replace all of the TB screws with standard Phillips and not these horrible five point BS screws. Anyway, have similar questions I will be glad to help. Thanks again: You guys ROCK!

Curt