Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing ac compresor

Old 03-23-2015, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing ac compresor

Hi All
I have an x type 2.5 '03
I am trying to replace my a/c compresor. I have already removed it, but my issue now is that I'm confused as to how to replace it and my new compresor came with directions saying to drain and instal half charged. I have no clue what this means. I drained the oil that it had in it (about 1oz). Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you in advanced

Old 03-23-2015, 08:03 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

You can download the JTIS Workshop Manual at no cost on this forum as it has the steps to install the compressor along with the correct amount of oil and refrigerant to add.

Recharging the system should be carried out by a competent shop having the necessary equipment to weigh the refrigerant so the system is not over or under charged.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing compresor

Originally Posted by NBCat
You can download the JTIS Workshop Manual at no cost on this forum as it has the steps to install the compressor along with the correct amount of oil and refrigerant to add.

Recharging the system should be carried out by a competent shop having the necessary equipment to weigh the refrigerant so the system is not over or under charged.
Thank you NBcat for you suggestion and also the info on the manual. I have replaced my compresor and had it charged at a local shop. It was a lot easier than I expected. This forum is awesome.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Freakishly perfect timing...just about to order a new AC Compressor tonight

My Wife's compressor died last year at the end of the season, and now that temps are beginning to warm up, I am reminded that her A/C is not working. I crawled under the car last year, and found all kinds of oil leaking from the compressor (behind the pulley iirc), and determined it wasn't worth adding another shot of Freon being it was 11 years old.

I was just about to order a new compressor "kit" (comes with Dryer, O-rings, etc.. ) from Rockauto for ~$210.

Mechanically, I know I can do this, did NOT know about adding oil before I put it back together. I plan on R&R'ing the compressor, dryer, Orifice tube, an whatever seals and O-Rings, (being sure to add the oil before I button it up), put on a new serpentine belt, and drive it straight to the local shop for vacuum an recharge (won't the vacuum suck out the oil?)

Am I in the ballpark with this? What am I missing? TIA

Doogie

Old 04-27-2015, 10:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Working great now!

Thanks to everything I can find here, I can say my wife's '03 X-Type A/C is working very nicely now. Not as bad as you think.

I got a compressor, dryer (with lines), and 'filter' for about $300 on Rockauto.com.

Easy enough, remove the serpentine belt, remove the compressor, remove the dryer (inside the passenger side inner wheel well, not bad at all, but you need a tool from NAPA to disconnect the lines). Basically, replace everything the same way you removed it. My new compressor had about 2 ounces of 'flourescent' oil in it, (leak dye?) with instructions to remove it by draining it through the low port. Did that, and then added about 4-5 ounces of compressor oil (NAPA store) by pouring it in to the low port on the compressor. Bolted everything up, and then removed the Orifice (filter) assembly - man THAT was clogged!) and replaced with the one from the RockAuto kit). Put it all back together, put a vacuum pump on it for 2 hours. Got Vacuum pump down to about -25, held for about 2 hours. Recharged with Freon until low side was ~20-24/ high side was about ~175ish...

Cold Air now blowing from vents. I'm a happy camper.

Thanks to this Forum. You guys/gals are the best!

Once again, you saved me.

Doogie