X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jaguar x type 2004 V6 radio not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jaguar x type 2004 V6 radio not working

my Jag was in a front smash but only left fender,left front door and bonnet had to be worked on. radio still worked after Inertia switch was pushed back in. so after the front passenger door was removed and battery was disconnected, radio don't work anymore.
dont know which fuse to check for radio... please help
thanks
new to group but always used to visit page for answers

Old 03-10-2016, 02:20 PM
Default radio not working

Originally Posted by ridaah
my Jag was in a front smash but only left fender,left front door and bonnet had to be worked on. radio still worked after Inertia switch was pushed back in. so after the front passenger door was removed and battery was disconnected, radio don't work anymore.
dont know which fuse to check for radio... please help
thanks
new to group but always used to visit page for answers
fan working but radio blank ..doesnt switch on

Old 03-10-2016, 04:30 PM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
The following users liked this post:
ridaah (03-15-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Default fuse box

my fuse box numbers start from 1-56

Old 03-11-2016, 04:24 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Passenger fuse box

F72 Mini 15 Blue Radio head unit, CD player, navigation electronic control module, Jaguar diagnostic connector/OBDII connector

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...12/#post104244

ridaah (03-15-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 05:58 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

ridaah, not to ask the silly question, but have you inputted the radio code to re-enable the radio? This is especially true if you have the upgraded NAV radio. This feature is turned off in US cars and other markets, but it may not have been turned off for your market. If you are not sure what the radio code is, you can go to your local dealership and they can get you the radio code (a free service here in the US). It may be something that simple.

ridaah (03-15-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 02:13 PM
Veteran member

ridaah, hopefully we can clarify things a little bit here and get you taken care of.

First things first, there are 2 fuse boxes in your car. There is one under the hood/bonnet of your car. I will refer to that as the engine bay fuse box. There is a second fuse box under the dash of your car (I will refer to this as the central fuse box). This is where things may get a little confusing. The fuse box location changed with the wiring change in early 2004. Because your car was made in January 2004, you should have the early style wiring harness. This mean that you have 2 fuses inside the passenger compartment in the central fuse box. The fuse box should be to the left of the steering wheel under the dash (assuming you have a left hand drive vehicle). You want to locate fuses F69 and F72 and verify that both of these are good. But, based on what you have described, I have a feeling that you will find these good.

Assuming both of these fuses are good, I want you to try something for me. Drive the car like you normally do but when you know that you are going to have the car parked for say 8+ hours (overnight), remove fuses F72 and F69. What we are attempting to do is drain any battery in the radio. This will force the radio to ask for a radio code. When you go to drive the car the next time, install these fuses before you start the car. After starting the car, take a moment and attempt to use the radio. Does the screen on the radio show "----"? If so, it is asking for a security code (should be a 4 digit number). Use the radio buttons to input the code.

If the radio doesn't do what I describe above or simply is blank, then you may have a damaged wire or the radio was damaged during the repairs (any welding can created conditions that will destroy a radio for example). This is where using a multimeter to verify power is getting to the radio will be necessary. Do you have multimeter and do you know how to use it?

ridaah (03-15-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 03:49 AM
Smile thanks for helping

hi Thermo

the radio is working now. found the faulty fuse and replaced it
radio working now

thanks for your help !!!
jaguar x type 2004 V6 radio not working-p1010157.jpg

Old 03-13-2016, 03:52 AM

next item that needs attention is the boot error message

on the dash display it says "boot open"

boot not open but it says its open

closes properly so don't know where fault is

thanks in advance

Old 03-13-2016, 01:16 PM
Veteran member

ridaah, odds are the switch on the boot latch is sticking. You can try getting access to the latch and if you look, you should see where the latch rotates and there will be a flat spot on the piece that rotates. This will come in contact with a push button switch. Hit that switch up with some WD-40 and you should be good.

If that doesn't fix things for you, let me know and I will give you some wiring checks to do to isolate down the problem to a specific thing.

ridaah (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 11:48 AM

WD-40 i assume that is a lubricant spray?

Old 03-15-2016, 12:13 PM
Veteran member

ridaah, yes, WD-40 is a basic lubrication fluid available here in the US. It is kinda a fix all here in the US. A basic lubricant spray is all that you need. Just make sure it isn't conductive. Most oils are not.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
ridaah, yes, WD-40 is a basic lubrication fluid available here in the US. It is kinda a fix all here in the US. A basic lubricant spray is all that you need. Just make sure it isn't conductive. Most oils are not.
Wd40 was designed not as a lubricant, but as a water dispersant, and the final design was the 40th attempt at the design, hence the name WD40.
If only my brain could retain useful information.. Lol
I generally various aerosol lubrications, depending whats being lubricated, and PB Blaster on any fastners that i plan to remove, it just makes the job easier even if not necessary as it lubricates the exposed thread

Old 04-14-2016, 02:36 AM
Default location of fuse F40

good day to u all

how do i access fuse F40?

on google it shows that F40 is underneath the top section of the fuses under the hood/bonnet
as in pic that i attached of FUSE BOX 1 it shows only till fuse F38 and fuse F39-F42 in underneath that.

attaching another pic of where F40 is

is it true and how do i access it. cause i saw i youtube video of a guy taking out his entire fuse box and there was nothing underneath it?? so im confused

hope u can help and clarify
thanks
Ridaah

Attached Thumbnails jaguar x type 2004 V6 radio not working-2011-01-23_030901_52.png   jaguar x type 2004 V6 radio not working-jaguar-x-type-2004.25-power-distribution-fuse-box.jpg  
Old 04-14-2016, 09:39 AM
Veteran member

ridaah, what month/year was your car made? There is a sticker in the driver's door jam that will have this data. I ask as there are 2 different wiring harnesses for your car and you may have a different wiring harness than the diagrams that you are being given. This occurred early in 2004 with the change. On another note, does your fuse box look like the one in the picture that you attached in the post above?

Old 04-14-2016, 10:03 AM

jan 2004
and yes the fuse box looks like the pic

Old 04-14-2016, 11:16 AM

i checked F40 and it seems to work

i checked F41 and there is no sparks on it.

could that be it ?
and what is F41 for?

Old 04-14-2016, 04:34 PM
Veteran member

ridaah, it would appear that you have the newer wiring harness in your car even though it is built before the cut off date that I am aware of.

As for fuse F41, that fuse powers the braking system. It should be an 80 amp fuse. Please keep in mind that there are 3 different possible braking systems to deal with (basic ABS, ABS with a traction control system, and a Dynamic stability control system). So, unless the car is moving and being aggressively maneuvered, I would expect no sparks to come from that fuse.

ridaah, I guess I am a bit confused at the moment. There are 2 fuse boxes in your car. One you can easily see if you open the hood of your car. That is what is referred to as the engine bay fuse box. There is a second fuse box inside the passenger compartment (located inside the dash if you open the left hand door, hidden behind an access panel). Fuse F40/F41 are on the passenger compartment fuse box, second row from the top, near the middle of that row. You should be seeing fuses up to F56 on this fuse box. If things are stopping at F38, then you are looking at the engine bay fuse box. Maybe this is where some confusion is occurring.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:40 AM
Default Radio will not tune

My 2004 x type radio will not tune, just keeps going round and around not picking up any stations. The CD player works fine. The vehicle was a business car before I bought it last year, so they might have disconnected the radio side of things, if that's even possible. Anyone able to help please

Old 04-16-2016, 06:49 AM
Veteran member

Jon, from the sounds of things, it would appear that someone disconnected the antenna plug on the back of the radio. This could have been done to have an aux input for say an MP3 player. You will probably want to pull the radio out to see if the antenna plug is installed. It will be a small round plug with a silver tip on it (looks kinda like an RCA plug). If that is plugged in, then you are back to having 1 of 2 issues. Those would be either a bad tuner section in the radio or the antenna being bad. This is where getting a temporary antenna would separate these 2 issues. If the radio works with the temporary antenna, then you know the antenna in the glass of the car is bad. If the radio does not work, then you know the radio is bad.

Quick Reply: jaguar x type 2004 V6 radio not working