X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jaguar x type wont start/crank

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 05:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jaguar x type wont start/crank

hi, i have gone through several threads but i need assistance as my local mech. seems to be stuck. i recently drove my jaguar then parked it but left the keys at the ignition for a few minutes.
later the car could not start at all but the dashboard lights were okay.
i am told its the battery or the keys. can anyone guide me so save on the costs of buying irrelevant parts.

these were codes from the diagnosis

Old 01-04-2017, 06:14 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From memory...

There is a yellow wire which runs from GEM to starter motor as Ignition Sense, this has been known to break preventing the starter motor from turning, unfortunately I don't have the wiring schematics to hand to give more precise information

I recall the wire runs across the engine bay under the radiator

Your mech should be able to prove the battery is good - and if not, change your mech

If the keyfob locks and unlocks the doors by pressing the buttons and not using the lock then the keyfob is correctly coded for the car and working so can be discarded as a potential problem source

The following users liked this post:
Rais Mtukufu Gim (01-05-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 06:45 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

We need to know model year of your car, which engine and transmission. Correct term for your issue is No Crank No Start. Correcting this problem begins with the car battery. I'm not familiar enough with Jaguar security features to help. As for your list of OBD codes have you looked them up? Here's a good video with general steps to follow:

Rais Mtukufu Gim (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 04:24 AM

my car is a jaguar x400type- make 2004. yes its a no crank no start issue. the battery seems to be okay because it has 13v. thanks for the reply though

Old 01-05-2017, 04:34 AM

the key locks and unlocks the car. about this yellow wire what would you recommend?

Old 01-05-2017, 07:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Find the wire and make sure it is not broken or intermittent, do a resistance check whilst moving the wire about

Again, this is from memory - look at the starter motor for a yellow wire and physically trace it back

Rais Mtukufu Gim (01-24-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 04:34 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Having a slew of codes and the issues such as you have is suspiciously indicative of a battery issue.

(it's not what codes it says, it's why they are being said)

Turn the headlights on (or keep honking the horn), and try to start it. If they dim out (or horn goes quiet), charge the battery. Still no start? pull the cables from the battery posts, clean them, re-try. If still no crank, remove and clean the other ends of the cables, clean and re-attach, and try again.

Everyone in the forum has experienced weird stuff before they had to shell out for a new battery. Our X-Types are famous for eating batteries when left alone in the garage for even just a week (sheer boredom?), and you'd swear the battery is still good until you load test it.

Kind of breath-taking when you mentally added up all the costs involved with each of those trouble codes, wasn't it? That is part of the pure exhilaration owning a Jaguar can provide!

My money is on the battery itself, connections second, and any other problemo a distant third. The battery you likely need is available at the discount mega-retailer Walmart*, and is usually in stock.

It is, but of course, the single most expensive automotive battery Walmart* sells.

*Addendum: Possibly a different storefront. KENYA: In 2011, Walmart acquired a majority stake in Massmart Holdings Limited, the leading African retailer of general merchandise, home improvement equipment and supplies. Founded in 1990, the Group comprises nine wholesale and retail chains, and one buying group, operating in 13 countries in sub-Saharan Africa through the Group’s four operating divisions – Massdiscounters, Masswarehouse, Massbuild and Masscash

Last edited by Bruce in North Dakota; 01-06-2017 at 04:46 AM.
Rais Mtukufu Gim (01-24-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 06:38 AM

still no help at all.
my mechanic claims that cods;
B1681-PASSIVE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM TRANSCEIVER
B1213-anti-theft number of programmed keys is below minimum.
are the reson for the no start no crank problem
the local jag dealership are just damn expensive for me. anyone who can assist would be highly appreciated!

Old 04-18-2017, 03:30 AM
Default still looking for help with my no start no crank problem.

my mechanic forced me to buy one key and the instrument cluster and still the problem is there.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,131 Likes on 1,305 Posts

But did you do a load test on the battery? Modern batteries can often test as fully charged, but when asked to supply voltage under load (as when you turn to key to engage the starter motor) the voltage drops severely - the result is exactly the symptom you have (no crank, no start). I have experienced this myself on a different Jaguar model. So, have you had a load test done? A new battery would cost less than what you have already spent trying to solve this problem.

Rais Mtukufu Gim (05-23-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 05:43 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I had a very similar problem on here recently and my guess is that you have likely already read the thread. First question is who it your mechanic? Is he a Jag specific guy or works on all types of cars? Reason being is you instrument cluster must be programmed to the car and he must have specific equipment to do this. A Jag specific mechanic would know this but a regular mechanic likely would not.

Trouble shooting-
I am sure at this point you've taken the battery into a shop and had it charged and tested, if not do it. Next switch the starter relay with another of the same relays and see if it starts. If not try to jump the starter relay with some wire. This should cause your starter to crank. If it does the issue isn't there. Next would be to check and clean all grounds everywhere and look for loose wires. If all checks out it may be the new cluster needs programing, security issue, or ecm. Also, just because your key locks and unlocks doors has nothing to do with whether or not the key will start the car. The key chip is unrelated to the locks.

Here are some PDFs that will help you figure out what the actual issue is. Use a paperclip in the OBDII to help get a signal, my tester was too large to fit in there well. Also search Ford stuff too as PATS is a Ford system, not Jag. Below is one thread I found with a PDF that could help, but not the one I wanted. I think I saved it on my computer at home and will try to post it later if I have it. If I don't have it, it is floating around here somewhere. The cover page says S-Type, but it's the same for our car.

Scroll down to the PATS diagnosis flowchart
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...lletins-10586/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/non-running-2002-s-type-4-0-a-180034/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/help-pats-sytem-34107/

Rais Mtukufu Gim (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 12:41 AM

so my mech now tells me the reason he cant program the cluster is the fuse harness is not getting power to the ECM. where can i but the fuse box the dealers price is too much!

Old 05-23-2017, 05:24 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rais Mtukufu Gim
so my mech now tells me the reason he cant program the cluster is the fuse harness is not getting power to the ECM. where can i but the fuse box the dealers price is too much!
if this is the case you likely have a short somewhere. This can be very difficult to trace which is why it sounds like your mechanic didn't even try. I would find out how he knows this and what tests he did. Then you need to figure out where the short is. Is it with the box or is it somewhere before the box? Start picking the brain of the mechanic then start tracing signals back.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:32 PM

well finally its running though still blowing fuses hope we will find where the short is. thanks

Old 11-14-2017, 05:40 AM
Default what did he find

well finally its running though still blowing fuses hope we will find where the short is. thanks
what did he do to get it started, what did he find wrong

Old 11-14-2017, 09:27 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Yes, what was done to get it started?
And which fuses are being blown?

Rais Mtukufu Gim (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 11:55 AM

sorted,
had the beam and indicator lights fuse but its now okay

Old 12-06-2017, 11:56 AM

we just changed the fuse its yet to blow gain