X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key FOB Inconsistencies

Old 10-22-2016, 06:25 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Key FOB Inconsistencies

Hey folks!

So, I have 3 keys and key FOB's with my car and they all work....the problem is they work when they decide they want to work! I just don't get it. I can go a week and the FOB works perfectly and then out of the blue...nothing. Then magically it will start working again the next day. The weird thing is ALL 3 of them do the same thing. You would think I would at least have one the works every day, every time...right?

Does anybody have any idea what cause the FOB to work intermittently? I am sure many will say to "replace all the batteries" with new ones...but to think all 3 would have batteries go out or going out at the same time would be a tad odd wouldn't it? Maybe there is a faulty receiver or something. I don't know so that is why I am asking.

Hope someone has a resolution...this is driving me nuts!!!!! LOL

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 10-22-2016, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Do all three fobs not work at the same time?

Old 10-22-2016, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
Do all three fobs not work at the same time?
Interesting question. I will have to investigate that and report my findings!

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 10-22-2016, 07:12 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Those would be SOBs then?

Old 10-22-2016, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I feel you are dealing with an intermittent condition that is not the fault of the key fobs.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:17 PM

Ok...I just tested all 3. One now doesn't work at all. Now get this...between the other two ONE will consistently unlock the car and not lock it while the other one consistently locks the car but not unlock it!!! I went through this many times. On maybe one or two occasion one of them would do both but then stopped the next cycle.

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 10-22-2016, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by barnter
Those would be SOBs then?
YES...they would be!!!! LOLOLOL

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 10-22-2016, 09:16 PM

You might want to try reprogramming all three together.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:55 PM
Default Update....

Ok...so here is what I did. I ordered a brand new aftermarket key FOB off eBay and it came in today. It was advertised to include a new battery, so all I did was swap out my third key with the uncut key and it should be ready for programming. Ok...set this aside.

So my other two that have been giving me fits by working when they want, I decide to do maintenance on them. I take them apart (and yes, they are a pain in the *** and I jabbed a screwdriver right into my thumb when it slipped trying to pry the little Ba****d open) and remove the batteries. I then clean all the contact points with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Some dirt did show up on the q-tips but nothing horrible. Cleaned the battery contacts also. Then I put fresh 2032 energizer batteries into both of them...brand new, just bought today.

I put those two back together and took them out to the car and they both worked like a charm. Didn't even need to reprogram them so that was cool but I knew if I wanted to use all 3 FOB's I had to do a group programming.

So, I took all three to the car with me and did the programming procedure which is a piece of cake. Upon the confirmation beep I hit a key on my number 1 FOB and it confirms - hit a key on my number 2 FOB and it confirms and then go to hit a key on the new eBay aftermarket one and NOTHING. I tested my other two and they were paired with the car...both seemed to work. So I did this 3 more times just to make sure I got to the third one in time and even when I tried to confirm it first, no beep at all. The eBay one simply will not work. And yes, I did order the correct one for those who might ask. It needs to be returned and I am not popping it open to check the battery because that is part of the deal and I do not want to damage it with a screwdriver unless I know it works and I am keeping it.

Ok...so now I decide to give the two that do work a good workout and just punch buttons off both off them and individually. Well my Jag friends, it leads right back to the beginning of this thread. They both work when they want. Just when I thought all was well one would do nothing at all no matter what button I pushed on it and the other one would work. Then magically the one that did not work would work again.

Basically I am at the same point as when I started this thread except now my FOB's have been cleaned and have brand spanking new batteries in them. There has to be another component playing a role in this....anyone feel free to chime in. I would love to figure this one out as each button press SHOULD do something...one would think...yes!?!?!? LOL

peace out,
daddylogan

Last edited by daddylogan; 10-28-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:08 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

May or may not help.....

I had issues with....well the only key we had when we bought the care a couple weeks ago.

I changed battery because it seemed a logical first step on an original fob.
Nothing.
Reprogrammed to car. All buttons work....for a day or 2. A button or 2 would stop working.
Reprogram.....they all work again.... then... not so much.

Opened it again and looked at the little circuit board.
All of the tiny micro switches were loose. And on 3 of them, the little plungers were stuck.

Cleaned with electrical contact cleaner.

Bought 2 new ones off eBay $38 total... with uncut keys.....had dealer program transponder.....those 2 work great. Original becomes the "emergency" key

Old 10-29-2016, 06:29 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Don't confuse problems with the fob buttons with fob programming. If any key causes the car to react then the programming is good. The car recognizes the fob.

The buttons get a lot of abuse. They get corroded from the humidity in your pocket or all the human crud that gets in there. They get banged around as you push the buttons. Sometimes the solder connection to the buttons breaks. If you have a really fine soldering iron and a steady hand you can sometimes fix this.

Any problem that you have with your fob can be replicated with an eBay fob. They are, after all, just used fobs.

Pete.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:29 AM

daddylogan, can all three cut keys can start the car? You might want to try mating the fob from the new key to the key part of the third cut key and see if that can be programmed.

Last edited by barnter; 10-29-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just today took my two intermittent FOBs and took them apart, and cleaned the micro switches that were only working occasionally. Both the lock and unlock switches were disgusting and were not even clicking as the should. After spraying them with "deoxit" and working the crud out of them, they work perfectly now. You could use alcohol as well.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:18 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Could be a bad micro switch inside the key fob. With age & use they ooze green slime and are unreliable. I replaced the micro switches in mine - not difficult - just some patience and a steady hand. Some eBay sellers refurbish key fobs via mail.

On a related note..... One of my key fob's no longer hinges closed. The pushbutton to close the fob will not depress, as if something is jammed underneath it. Any suggestions how to open the hinged side of the fob to unjam the push button & hinge mechanism? Or should I just break it open & destroy the hinged side of the fob, then transfer the cut key and transponder to a replacement, uncut fob.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails Key FOB Inconsistencies-jaguar-x-type-key-fob-microswitch-replacement-2.jpg   Key FOB Inconsistencies-jaguar-x-type-key-fob-microswitch-replacement-3.jpg   Key FOB Inconsistencies-jaguar-x-type-key-fob-microswitch-replacement-4.jpg   Key FOB Inconsistencies-jaguar-x-type-key-fob-microswitch-replacement-5.jpg   Key FOB Inconsistencies-jaguar-x-type-key-fob-microswitch-replacement-6.jpg