X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost my only key to 02 xtype . What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Lost my only key to 02 xtype . What to do?

I have lost my only key to my xtype , is there a less costly way to getting a new one .as id rather by new parts for my xtype that i would actually fel and enjoy, If so how may I acheive this.Thank you very much in advance.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

xtype, unfortunately, you will need to get your hands on a key fob and a blank key (yes, they are 2 different parts). If you do some looking on E-bay, you can normally find both pieces for fairly cheap. Granted, normally the keyfobs are used, so, keep that in mind when looking at the prices. Your other option is to talk with a dealership about getting a keyfob (this will be brand new of course and about $200 as I recall).

Now, once you have the keyfob, you can call a locksmith and they will be able to cut you a new key and be able to access the computer to program the new key too. Before getting the guy all the way out to your car, specifically ask if they can cut Jaguar keys. They don't use your normal key cutting machine. So, not all locksmiths may have this ability. Plan on spending about $90 to get the new key cut and programmed for the car.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Cool

Thank for the advice, albeit they are locksmith in quebec that actually do the programing to the key, and do they have to actually have the vehicule towed, because as at this point i cant even get in the car to get it out of park . Is it possible the dealership can program my key that i get(even though used) from ebay.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I got my Xtype, it only came in with one key. I went & buy a new key & fob online - http://www.transponderisland.com/. I asked around automobile locksmith & none would touch my Jaguar. All said I have to go to a dealer, which I did. Some dealer charge higher than the other. I paid $80 + tax for them to shape the key. They're asking another $120 for the fob (which I didn't go for). The fob is easy to program. Just browse the forum.
They will need your registration & the car at the dealer. For security reasons & for them to attach the computer to program the transponder (key). Some dealer don't want to touch cut keys, so when you buy it should be blank & uncut. Check with the frequency as well with the dealer before you buy. Not sure if there is a difference between US & Canada. Worth calling the dealer to check this out first, before buying. While at it buy two. I have three keys & two fob.
Remember the fob is easy to program, so don't fall to the dealer telling you that they need to attached the car to a computer to program it. That's what they told me. Also here in the states the dealer is asking close to $500 for the key & fob. Good luck.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

You can buy and use a black master key without it being the flip key variety but you wont have a remote and you have to have 2 keys to program and yes the car has to be at the dealer. You cant program without the car cause it programs through the instrument pack
you best choice would be to buy a flip master key and remote, and a black non flip master key then have them all programmed at once. There should never be a seperate charge for the remote. And most key programming is 1 hour labor charge denpending on the dealers labor rate.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:11 AM

Yes I lost my only keys to my wife Jaguar, I look up auto locksmiths, Neff Locksmith of PA. came out with the remote and two keys for $500 plus tax, and was done in 20mins no dealers, or towing thanks Neff!