X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOUD Air conditioner Humm/Whine

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 04:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LOUD Air conditioner Humm/Whine

Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my air-conditioner. When you turn it on there's a noticeably loud humm / whine. I've had the car for about a year now and I'm positive last summer it was nowhere near this loud. I've read a few threads about air-conditioning and how to recharge the system but now I'm not so sure that's the issue. The air conditioner works fine and still blows cold air but, when you first turn the air conditioner on cold air won't start flowing in till I stop the car or put it in neutral and coast down the road. Has anybody had a similar problem with their system and if so how was it resolved?

Also, where the heck is the in cabin air filter?

P.S. I'm going to try and record the noise and and upload it as an attachment on my iPad but I don't know what the extension is on the file so it may not work.

Attached Files
Old 06-28-2015, 05:49 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Jaguila: Regarding the loud AC, the noise is coming from the compressor in the engine compartment and not from the blower at the feet of the US passenger, yes?

To replace the cabin air filter:
1) open the hood
2) remove the windshield wiper arms from their shafts by removing the bolt on each shaft & gently prying the arms off the shafts
3) remove the black plastic cowling across the bottom of the windshield by first removing ~6 plastic fasteners holding it in place
4) the cabin air filter is below the windshield on the US passenger side, about 4 inches wide and 18 inches long.

Here's a video on how to access it:

And here's an Amazon listing for the filter:
Amazon.com: NPN ACC Cabin Filter for select Jaguar X-Type models: Automotive Amazon.com: NPN ACC Cabin Filter for select Jaguar X-Type models: Automotive

The following users liked this post:
Jaguila (06-30-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 07:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No. The noise is coming from inside the engine compartment. It only comes on when the AC is turned on. Also, I went and bought compressor oil and added it and no change unfortunately.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:04 AM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Jaguilla: If you search this forum for pulley noise, the serpentine belt tensioner is a common cause, particularly when the A/C is on. The A/C puts additional stress on the serpentine belt and tensioner. How much additional stress? Enough to burn ~5% more fuel and reduce fuel efficiency ~2 miles per gallon when the A/C is on.

Try turning the A/C on and off while listening with the hood open to see if you can pinpoint if the noise is from the tensioner instead of the A/C. If you're uncertain, it may be worth risking the relatively small effort and $'s to install a new tensioner, since this is a lot easier and cheaper than repairing or replacing the A/C compressor.

Here's a thread on how to change the tensioner: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...esolved-69195/

One suggestion: Instead of grinding down a 3/8 in socket wrench, consider investing a few $'s in a 3/8 inch breaker bar, which is skinny enough to fit between the tensioner and the wheel well.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.