Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Melted headlight harness info

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So, why not just replace the socket?

http://www.suvlights.com/product_inf...roducts_id=215

Can't be that hard to find a replacement socket for the bulb.

Seems like nine bucks is better than a grand.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Other places that you can look for the H1 sockets is Hella.com, Daylighter 4x4 lighting, or any other offroad lighting place. Almost all offroad lights use the H1 socket. So, check out your local 4x4 shop and see what they have in the way of bulb bases. An H1 bulb base for a semi/lorey is the same as the one for our Jag. Besides, the offroad light ones are normally rated for up to a 150 watt bulb which would easily handle the heat from a 55 watt bulb.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I wasn't saying to go to any particular shop for the sockets.
Just that they are available.
If the wiring is damaged, splice in new (SOLDER, not crimp!)

Old 06-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get ripped by the dealer again. Just cut the melted connector off and put two female spade attatchments on the wires, will do the same job. Just make sure they're on nice and tight and won't pop off (they're usually tight anyway). But if you prefer to put the connector on it may cost a fair bit again. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2010, 03:01 PM

I have the same problem, I improvised for now but the socket is melted.
Stock bulbs 2003 X-type

Old 04-01-2010, 04:39 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Granted I haven't looked at the sockt for the x type but go to a parts store and in the help section you can find aftermarket sockets with leads on it. You can butt connect 'em to the lines but I'd solder it with some shrink wrap. A quick trip to harbor freight will get you a iron, solder and wrap for $10, sockets are about $10 each. Don't forget some electrical grease as it will keep the connection strong and thus the heat down. I would advise against putting a higher wattage bulb in any system. You might not melt the housing but eventually you'll melt your wire internally. If you haven't rewired an entire light circuit. It definately isn't a lot of fun. I did it last summer on my TVR and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The previous owner had upped his headlights to a 60w bulb from 55w. You're much better off cleaning your glass and keeping your connections clean to see better then chancing ruining the entire circuit.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There's a seller on eBay offering a heavy-duty H1 harness with ceramic (non-melting) plugs. I haven't had this particular problem yet, but if it crops up that's what I would look for. And listen to the previous posters; solder the wires, electrical grease, etc. And make sure the the plug fits tightly onto the bulb - a loose fit will generate a butt-load of heat as the bulb is trying to draw 55w through a flaky contact area. Good luck!

Old 04-03-2010, 09:35 AM

Called the local Jag dealer, they have the socket for $10 each.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Old 10-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Default Pig tail fix

Hey, better late then never but this happened to me when I first bought it used. Dealer wanted 1 hour min $129 and parts. I did some research and yes this has been known to happen . I bought a pig tail wire $25 and spliced it myself. After I did the first one a year later when the second went it only took me 20 minutes to fix, I bought the wire fix from the jag dealer in Texas who adverts in hemmings.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:23 PM

Guys anyone know how to wire a single wire H1 connector to the original two wires (yellow and brown) so I can get my headlights back up?!. Did really quite get any fix w/ the chatter above, thanks!!

Old 11-04-2013, 04:52 PM

Hey can you explain the process again to me. I was able to find a single wire H1 connector to which wire do I connect that too on the two wires on the Jag, Yellow or Brown? Where to I attach the other wire? Thanks in advance for your assistance!!

Old 11-04-2013, 08:32 PM

Iggy

I have the same problem and posted a thread earlier about it hoping someone would know. If you check out this links diagram it states that the 2nd wire goes to the headlight body. I seen an image earlier were someone had clipped it onto the bulbs retaining clip.

Jaguar Models H1 Head Light Beam Bulb Alternative Holder Wire Grip Connector x2 | eBay

I would imagine the browns live and goes to the new connector and the yellow is the earth and then should be clipped onto the headlight body. If you have any luck with this could you let me know and vice versa.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

It's been a while since I did mine and don't have the car any more to look but if you examine the melted H1 holder, I'm pretty sure that the yellow wire runs up the middle to the bulb and the brown up the side is your ground. When you use the two connector fix, the ground wire goes on the male spade that is already right there at the clip on the housing.

The following users liked this post:
MN X-Man (07-06-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by nkx1
Hi everyone, I joined this forum in hopes of obtaining some assistance with a melted headlight socket for my gf's car (it's out of warranty).

She has an '04 X-type, and for the second time, a blown low beam headlight has resulted in a melted socket (the part that attaches to the bulb). Last time this happened, the dealer charged $100 to fix it.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a fix for this that wont cost $100 at the dealer, such as where to get the harness, etc. The dealer parts department doesn't sell the harness. The parts dept said the service department has a "kit" for this issue, but they wont sell it.

Thanks!

*I also searched using various terms, but somehow couldn't find a relevantanswer.
Yeah mine did it too, Im just going to order the harness of the internet or if you can find a wrecked one coud take it out of the junk yard, new better I assume...

Old 05-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Both the H1 headlamp sockets on my 2002 X-Type melted at different times.

The dealer indicated this is a common problem. There's a Jaguar Technical Service Bulletin on the issue as well which has the dealer "kit" for fixing this, but you don't need the dealer kit.

For the passenger-side one, it's very difficult to access and I just had the dealer replace it at the time for $60.

When the driver's-side one went out, I did it myself. As other's have noted here you can just cut out the old melted H1 socket and use a couple of spade connectors ($1 at Radio Shack in there parts/component drawer).

In my case though, I had some difficulty with that. I believe that my driver's-side H1 got melted because of a short somewhere else in the wiring, but I'm not sure.

In general though, I replaced mine with two Novita high temperature ceramic connectors that I ordered from Autozone for $7 each. Part No. SC01:

It came with a nice butt connector to crimp and some heat shrink tubing, and it was only a dollar more than the cheapo H1 socket/spade connector sold by Autozone & Pepboys in the store.

As noted by others, the yellow wire just connects to the middle spade on the back of the bulb. The brown wire connects to the side spade connector on the back of the bulb that is off center and at a 45-degree angle.

Attached Thumbnails  Melted headlight harness info-4.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by brainy_smurf:
Inky7 (06-17-2014), MN X-Man (07-06-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 04:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just did this fix last week end...... Easy!

Thanks to all for this thread..... had a melted H1 socket I replaced (including a new bulb) for < $20 worth of parts and 30 minutes of my time last week end.

Was quite easy.... if you have this same problem and are reasonably mechanical don't hesitate to roll up your sleeves and do it.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Default help!!!

Originally Posted by Inky7
Thanks to all for this thread..... had a melted H1 socket I replaced (including a new bulb) for < $20 worth of parts and 30 minutes of my time last week end.

Was quite easy.... if you have this same problem and are reasonably mechanical don't hesitate to roll up your sleeves and do it.
I had the same problem my harness is melted and I don't know What to do can you please guide me how to do it
?? and what do I need to buy cuz I can't seem to find a double wire replacements only single Ones.please help

Old 07-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by swim1950
I had the same problem my harness is melted and I don't know What to do can you please guide me how to do it
?? and what do I need to buy cuz I can't seem to find a double wire replacements only single Ones.please help
FWIW, the last bulletin I saw from Jaguar that someone linked on these boards gives part numbers for two separate single wire connectors to be spliced in. Both terminate with spade connectors, with one going to the bulb and the other to the tab on the headlight housing. They had different part numbers although both were a red wire...don't remember offhand if the spade connectors were a different size or not.

They could have been ordered through some of the online Jag vendors for about five bucks a piece but I sucked it up and paid the premium at a local dealership since I didn't want to wait for them to be shipped. JCOH discount brought them to about ten bucks a piece. I did the one on the '04 myself after having paid the dealership to do the '03 simply because I lacked the time at the house when I needed them done.

That being said, any similar gauge of spare wire spliced in and terminated with a spade connector should do the job.

Some had opined that the issue with the plastic connector and two leads was that it leads to the collection of dirt and other crap which then increased the resistance. I'm not an electronics person, so I have no definitive opinion on that, although there WAS a lot of dirt and grime on the melted socket I removed.

Quick Reply: Melted headlight harness info