X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

modifications

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking modifications

Hey Everyone just wondering if anyone has done any modifications to there jags, I just purchased a 2003 v6 2.5 with 80,000 miles and have close to 2 grand to throw at it. Any ideas??? body kit, air intake, brakes, anything that will give it a little more pop ya know what I mean any ideas or pictures of what you've done would be greatly appreciated

Old 02-24-2015, 08:32 PM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

If you want some more feeling of speed and power I would go with a K&N cone filter (for loud induction noise) and set of good mufflers.

I went with some straight through designed mufflers and replaced the center resonator with a straight pipe. It is REALLY loud and aggressive sounding and at idle and start up it almost sounds like a V8 because of the way it burbles. When you rev the engine the car even makes LOUD popping and crackling sounds that are music to my ears! Lots of compliments on the road. And when the car sounds this fun I don't even care if its not as fast as a BMW M3 because the power I do have I can easily use on normal roads without putting myself or others in danger, and ultimately having even more fun that people with faster cars!

For cosmetics I would go with some H&R lowering springs to give it a more aggressive stance (around $250). Get your hands on a Mina Gallery new style mesh grill and a lip spoiler for the trunk.

The following users liked this post:
gemccarthy (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 09:50 PM

thanks man where did you get the parts labor cost? etc. btw nice jag

Old 02-24-2015, 09:59 PM

I'm in MA so lowering the car wouldn't be a great idea so I would def go with the k&n cone filter and what do I order for the exhaust?

Old 02-24-2015, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Thought I would open your post to see what mods you had done.

But no I find a forum first for me,some-one wanting to spend money a Jag. Makes a change.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Bit partial to a nice exhaust note though but keeping it Jaguar if that's possible.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by gemccarthy
I'm in MA so lowering the car wouldn't be a great idea so I would def go with the k&n cone filter and what do I order for the exhaust?
Here's an intake with everything you need for sale on eBay for around $150 shipped Jaguar x Type 3 0 Cold Air Intake Kit 2 5 3 0L New | eBay

As for exhaust, what type of sound would you be looking for your cat? Something loud and in your face (like mine , or something to give it a bit more throatiness and deep end rumble?

gemccarthy (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 12:33 AM

That one would work! and as for the sound I want the growl at idol rumble sound, gurgle sound after hitting the gas, not looking for anything loud just noticeably different . Thanks for the help it's greatly appreciated

Old 02-25-2015, 12:47 AM

also when I look for a cold air intake for a 2003 x-type is always shows 2004 and there is never one for sale for an 03 will it fit??? (sorry if it's a stupid question)

Old 02-25-2015, 12:54 AM

any difference with a short ram intake?

Old 02-25-2015, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by gemccarthy
also when I look for a cold air intake for a 2003 x-type is always shows 2004 and there is never one for sale for an 03 will it fit??? (sorry if it's a stupid question)
There are no differences between any of the model years when it comes to the intakes. So yes, even if it says 04 it will work on your 03.

Members may argue on how much (if any performance gains) are made. Personally, it think it does help especially with highway acceleration and the sound the car makes with them is incredible!

For exhaust I think these Mina Gallery mufflers would suit you perfectly Jaguar X-Type Performance Exhaust Kit By Mina Gallery

Gives a good throaty roar and growl when you get on the gas and a nice controlled deep rumble when at idle. Definitely not crazy loud or aggressive, just the right touch of sound to make the cat sound sportier and a bit more muscular.

Install price depends on the muffler shop you go to and can range anywhere from $70 upwards. Might be worth shopping around to compare price to just swap out the mufflers.

gemccarthy (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 01:37 AM

can't thank you enough man the help is greatly appreciated I have a feeling I'll be talking to you again soon about how/it came out/ what to do next!

Old 02-25-2015, 01:46 AM

No problem at all! Hope everything turns out great. Be sure to keep us all posted as the mods begin. Best of luck!

Old 02-25-2015, 08:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cold air intake is going to be my next mod, looks a lot easier to change filters than the old one.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Exclamation Ebay cold air induction?

The Ebay cold air induction that was referred to is NOT cold air induction. It looks pretty, but is more or less hot air induction. Cold air induction does not draw air from the hot engine compartment. The induction on the car now is cold air. Just not enough of it. Real cold air induction comes from the outside of the engine compartment.

At the moment I drilled a 3" hole on the right side of my factory air box, and am going to run a 3" insulated or carbon fiber hose or pipe through the crush member of the right front frame. If you hit something hard enough to crush that box, your Coventry Cat is totaled anyway. I am then going to install a handmade aluminium cone shaped inlet just behind the lower grill. The only filter the car will be utilizing will be a K&N filter for the stock air box.

In tests, those cone filters don't flow as well, except the K&N, as the stock filters, so save your money, and do some engineering.

Be cool......Mike

Old 02-25-2015, 09:11 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by aCapiz

Install price depends on the muffler shop you go to and can range anywhere from $70 upwards. Might be worth shopping around to compare price to just swap out the mufflers.

The Mina gallery mufflers are stupid easy to install yourself so do NOT waste money paying someone. If you can work a sawzall and turn a wrench you can install these. No welding at all. You simply cut the stock mufflers off the pipes, hold up the mina mufflers and its clear where to cut the stock pipe, then pull the stock mufflers off the rubber hangers and slip the mina mufflers on the stock pipes. The mina mufflers have hangers rods in the stock places so they install perfectly. Once you have the mufflers in, keep the pipes loose until you get the tips in place, they just slip on the mufflers and clamp down, like the mufflers do. Get the tips looking good, tighten all the clamps and your done. I didn't even jack my car up when I did them.

They sound great too, I was a little concerned about the price, but I have had mine for two years now, and drove about 5000 miles last summer around the country and ever even had a clamp come loose. They still look pretty too. Well worth the money.

gemccarthy (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 12:28 PM

so do you have a link to the specter intake??? Still kinda stuck on what to do with the intake/filters...... mike knows his stuff so I trust him, def going with the exhaust though just need something productive to do to the engine area

Old 02-25-2015, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by mrplow58
The Ebay cold air induction that was referred to is NOT cold air induction. It looks pretty, but is more or less hot air induction. Cold air induction does not draw air from the hot engine compartment. The induction on the car now is cold air. Just not enough of it. Real cold air induction comes from the outside of the engine compartment.

At the moment I drilled a 3" hole on the right side of my factory air box, and am going to run a 3" insulated or carbon fiber hose or pipe through the crush member of the right front frame. If you hit something hard enough to crush that box, your Coventry Cat is totaled anyway. I am then going to install a handmade aluminium cone shaped inlet just behind the lower grill. The only filter the car will be utilizing will be a K&N filter for the stock air box.

In tests, those cone filters don't flow as well, except the K&N, as the stock filters, so save your money, and do some engineering.

Be cool......Mike
Yeah you are right there is no simple solution for a true "cold air intake" for this car unless you go completely custom; hence why is always refrain from calling it a "cold" air intake.

Still its not all bad news for these intake elbows. I usually drive around with my diagnostic computer just for fun and I have noticed that intake temp readings from the Intake Air Sensor on the MAF only are hotter than stock when you are at idle. While driving the temps are pretty much on par with the stock box because the cooler air that is rushed in through the grill is what the filter breathes first, and the hot is usually expelled under the car or up the windshield.

As for price, it probably would be cheap to build your entire intake from scratch and match it to your own taste (materials, bends, and filter). This is what I did and actually have a sponge filter that replaced my K&N filter because when I left it out to dry after cleaning the dog got a hold of it.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:50 PM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by aCapiz
Here's an intake with everything you need for sale on eBay for around $150 shipped Jaguar x Type 3 0 Cold Air Intake Kit 2 5 3 0L New | eBay

As for exhaust, what type of sound would you be looking for your cat? Something loud and in your face (like mine , or something to give it a bit more throatiness and deep end rumble?

DO NOT BUY THIS INTAKE! This is a "specter" intake, but with a nice big markup.

My "specter" intake is made from intake parts from a company called specter. They sell sections of abs plastic tubes, typically about 10 to 15 bucks each, and you put them together like legos. They are sold in auto parts stores like AutoZone or advanced auto. They have filters and everything. All you need is
1 maf adapter pipe, make sure it has ford on it
1 vacuum port section (a short piece that has various holes that can be unplugged and they filled with a vacuum hose, you'll use one)
1 of the rubber like connectors that goes from 3 inch down to 2.5 inch (they have red blue or black)
1 90 deg angle
And one cone filter.

From the throttle body it goes, rubber connector, vac pipe, maf pipe, the 90 pipe then the cone on that.

I think I spent like 80 bucks on everything as the filters are about 30 bucks. As far as performance, it just sounds better honestly, as you are pretty much sucking in hot air unless you are moving constantly.

Last edited by Justink201; 02-25-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:16 PM

Here is mine.

Attached Thumbnails modifications-92694d1407600499-cold-air-intake-x-type-img_20140517_083650.jpg  
Old 02-26-2015, 03:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

why R TYPE Badges there never was an x type R ,S Type R yes, Still looks nice though

Quick Reply: modifications