Sponsored by:

My X-type won't go in Reverse.!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow My X-type won't go in Reverse.!?

Hello Everyone.
I just bought a 2004 Jaguar Xtype 2.5.
And seems that the car is fine, only one thing is wrong...it doesn't go in REVERSE.

You shift it, and give it gas, and it doesn't go.
Is my tranny blown? Because it drives forward perfectly fine.
It just wont go in reverse?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Arrow My X-type wont go in REVERSE!!?? HELP!!

Hello Everyone.
I just bought a 2004 Jaguar Xtype 2.5.
And seems that the car is fine, only one thing is wrong...it doesn't go in REVERSE.

You shift it, and give it gas, and it doesn't go.
Is my tranny blown? Because it drives forward perfectly fine.
It just wont go in reverse?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

svldvc, this sounds pretty terminal to me. Now, with that being said, you may just have a bad reverse solenoid and it is not allowing the reverse gear to be selected. Honestly, I would have the car taken to a good jaguar shop and have them look over the tranny. Granted, if you just bought the car, I would be talking with the place you got it from. They may fix it for free (depends on the shop and what promises that they make).

Old 01-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Question

I agree with Thermo,when I first read the post I thought you were kidding.How do you buy a car without a proper test drive?

Old 01-06-2010, 03:05 PM

Sounds like a 5spd to me? Did it work when first bought? Sounds like the reverse gear is blown out. Not sure if that's common in these cars or not

Old 01-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

For a manual, it could be as easy as replacing worn shift linkage.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:35 PM

Thanks Thermo. Is solenoid hard to replace? Where is it located?

I like to stay away from ***********s because they all are full of major B.S.!!
Had really really bad luck w/ them in past and all they do is lie and steal and rip customers off.

So I try to figure my problems out through ppl that know stuff (like you) and other members.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Veteran member

svldvc, the solenoid is inside of the tranny. This will involve getting under the car, pulling off the tranny pan and then digging around inside there. I am trying to find out if I can get the procedure for doing this.

But, for the moment, you may have an electrical issue. What I want you to try is getting the front end of the car up in the air. Located the transmission and find where the shift cable attaches to the side of the tranny. Right in that location should be the position sensor (has a 9 pin plug attached to it). Disconnect the plug and then put the car into REVERSE (MAKE SURE THE TIRES ARE PROPERLY BLOCKED FIRST!!!!!!), Then do a resistance check between pin 7 and pin 8. You should get a very low resistance (under 5 ohms is good). If you don't get a good resistance, your tranny position sensor is bad and the tranny computer is not seeing the position of the shift lever and therefore is not allowing the solenoids to shift properly to place the tranny in REVERSE. Beyond that, you are getting into either the internals of the tranny or having to deal with the tranny computer. Either way, these are probably both outside of your area of fixing. Like I mentioned, look for a local shop and see what they can do for you. Unfortunately, unless you plan on dropping say $1000 on a professional code reader, this is beyond your abilities.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:14 PM

no it's automatic...sorry forgot to mention that..

No I got the car like this...so I dont know what's wrong w/ it, or what made it NOT go in Reverse.??

Old 01-06-2010, 10:18 PM

Thank you so much Thermo...you really are the MAN!!
I will be back in town next weekend hopefully and I will do just as you said.
And I'll try to see if it's electrical problem and not a blown tranny...keeping my fingers crossed.

thanks a million...will keep you informed

Old 01-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by svldvc

Had really really bad luck w/ them in past and all they do is lie and steal and rip customers off.

So I try to figure my problems out through ppl that know stuff (like you) and other members.
Did you buy it this way? Privately? At least I doubt a Jag DEALERSHIP would sell you a car without reverse gear without disclosing it.

The following users liked this post:
Wwta (10-11-2023)
Old 01-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Merged two identical threads, as there was no need to duplicate.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

What's up with trashing the dealer? We have some dealer techs that come on this board and help us out from time to time, and I know they don't like to be called liars or cheats. They provide valuable experience and insight, so let's not make them feel unwelcome.

If you don't like the dealer, that's fine, but think twice before you tear them up on this board please.

I've had a great relationship with my Jaguar dealer, they have always been honest and have worked hard to keep my business. Its unfortunate you have not had the same experience.

The following users liked this post:
Daniel Pryor (01-02-2020)
Old 01-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Veteran member

I don't think it was a bash on a dealership per se, he was simply asking if the dealership sold the car that way without disclosing that the tranny had a problem. Could happen I guess. Granted, reverse is one of those things that you almost always end up using when driving a car. So, finding out that problem is normally not something that people think about.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

The Chris X, you know I'm the last to ever trash a dealer and especially a dealer tech. On the contrary I was simply responding to the dreaded "*********** bashing" from a member. A member who it appears bought a car with no reverse gear. I was quickly pointing out that he was so quick to call dealerships liars and cheats, but I was doubtful that any Jag dealership sold him a car without reverse gear.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

mohrd - not talking about your post my friend. I should have quoted it from the start, my bad.

The OP's post above is what I feel is a little disrespectful to our dealer tech members.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey slvdvc

I hate to mention it but you might have picked the wrong car for a complete do it yourselfer. The transmissioin doesn't even have a dipstick. That being said I normally will do my own work on most electrical, brakes etc. but I wouldn't attempt to crack an automatic transmission unless my life depended on it. There are simply to many little things in there that can fall out. If you don't trust a dealership, take it to a tranny place you do trust and get a diagnosis.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Okay guys...to clear up some things here, especially the "bashing" part.

This is my thread, and I can say whatever the H*** I feel like saying. And if you're not planning on helping me resolve my problem, then don't freakin' bother bashing on my posts!!

What I said is: "I" (not you, "I") had BAD experiences w/ dealers and I don't trust them.

I did NOT say that ALL dealers are thiefs and liars. I said the ones that I dealt with, that's why I'm saying that. Because if dealers wouldn't have screwed me many times, I would not say anything negative about them.

For Example:
I took one of my previous cars for check up to a dealer because it wouldn't start....they told me my transmission was bad, and there is a huge hole in the tranny, and that my starter is fried and I need a new started replaced for $800 plus tranny and all the labor on top of that...I paid them $200 for inspection, I took the car home...did some research on forums. And it turns out that my battery switch was disconnected...I connected it back in place and BOOM....my car started w/out any problems...suddenly my starter worked good...and my tranny was fine...and I inspected the tranny and there was no "huge" hole in it...and so on..I drive that car till this day still.

That's just one example of many ways dealers lied to me and stole my money for diagnostics.

But since some of members here claim that Jags are complicated cars, maybe I will take it to a dealer to have it inspected, but due to previous bad experiences with dealers, that's why I ask ppl on forums before I take my cars to dealers.

I want to say THANK YOU for everyone that posted with suggestions and advices.
I really do appreciate all of your help and comments. Thanks guys.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Veteran member

svldvc, personally I would try a local mechanic first that has some experience with german/Jag cars. Probably save you a few bucks and right now they may be willing to cut you a little bit of a deal if you are a first time person and are willing to come back for other work. Gotta make the customer happy. Granted, a Ford dealership may not be a bad second choice since the car does have a lot of Ford related stuff in it and Ford dealerships may run a little less than a Jag dealership.

I wish you luck.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:34 PM

Thanks Thermo. I'll try the dealer.

Quick Reply: My X-type won't go in Reverse.!?