X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Replacing fron Axle Assy

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 06:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need Help Replacing fron Axle Assy

Have a 2005 3.0 Front outer CV Boot is bad. I believe the easiest option is to replace the entire passenger side axle assy. Looks like remove brake caliper and bracket, remove large nut on axle, separate ball joint and tie rod.

Then what is the process to remove the shaft from the tranny and reverse?

That is the part that I am not comfortable with. I have done some research on here and have the service manual, but still a little uncertain.

Any details would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks

Old 12-06-2016, 07:22 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I've not done this exact job, but have done front strut replacement which requires same steps up to removing the axle. Have you looked at some YouTube videos? There's plenty of them.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:33 AM

Have not been able to find that specific video, if you see one send me a link please>>>>

Old 12-06-2016, 06:12 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

The link is there in my last post. Do you not see it? You can also search in YouTube for changing front wheel drive axle.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:13 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

DO NOT REMOVE THE SHAFT THAT GOES THROUGH THE TRANSFER CASE.

You need to separate the outer axle from the shaft that runs through the transfer case.

Lots of info on the forum.

Page 14 and 15 of TSB XT307-S941 describes the procedure of removing just the outer part of the right axle.

Removing the inner shaft MORE THAN 200mm will result in internal seal damage!!!!!!!!!

Leave the inner shaft in place.

bob

Old 12-06-2016, 09:23 PM

Thanks that is why I wanted to see the video for this car, not all are the same. I will look at the information provided.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:25 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

DO NOT REMOVE THE SHAFT THAT GOES THROUGH THE TRANSFER CASE. Motorman, how do you deal with that if you replace the TC?

Old 12-06-2016, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
DO NOT REMOVE THE SHAFT THAT GOES THROUGH THE TRANSFER CASE.

You need to separate the outer axle from the shaft that runs through the transfer case.

Lots of info on the forum.

Page 14 and 15 of TSB XT307-S941 describes the procedure of removing just the outer part of the right axle.

Removing the inner shaft MORE THAN 200mm will result in internal seal damage!!!!!!!!!

Leave the inner shaft in place.

bob

Bob, so if I understand I will cut the large clamp on the inner boot, and the CV joint simply separates, then leave the axle that is in the transmission inside. Take the new outer axle and join the cv joint of the new outer axle to the cv joint on the inner axle, clamp the boot and finish the installation on the hub, etc?

Old 12-07-2016, 07:16 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

The outer axle shaft will detach from the inner 'transfer case shaft' at the inner joint. It is SPLINED.
There is a rubber seal/ring that will likely be damaged when you separate the shafts. It just keeps debris/moisture out of the splined area.

Did you read the TSB??

You CAN remove the 'through-shaft' from the transfer case AFTER you remove the Xfer case from the gearbox and REMOVE the circlip from the shaft END.

Once the locking circlip is removed, it will NOT tear the seals in the transfer case!!

If you draw the shaft through the case without removing the circlip, the circlip on the end of the shaft will tear the seal.

bob

The following users liked this post:
Thang Nguyen (12-09-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 09:34 PM

I did read this. But tonight I repaired the headlights which meant taking the front bumper cover which meant taking the wheels off. The entire inside of the passenger wheel is coated with grease, and it had slung onto the tie rod, etc. I cleaned the cv boot and I cannot see any tears or issues. But what I did find in the lower ball joint rubber is torn. I find it difficult to believe that all that grease came from inside the ball joint. I cleaned everything tonight going to run the car a bit and pull the wheel and reinspect. I thought for sure the grease was coming from the cv joint but now I am doubting myself.