X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some Help figuring out ABS Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some Help figuring out ABS Issue!

Ok. I've been doing a bunch of research and want to see if anyone has any ideas on the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Car - 2003 Jaguar X type - Automatic, 2.5, ABS With DSC

I put a scanner on it and got this:
C1155, C1165, C1175, P1000, C1155, C1175.

Cleared the codes, and restarted. The check engine light does go out, but the abs comes on right away along with DSC System Fault.
Codes: C1175, C1155, P1000, C1155, C1175

Additionally, I noticed while driving (The speedometer works) the scanner is reading vehicle speed - 0.

Also at times when the car is first started, my speedo will only read 1/2 my actual speed for a little while. It usually kicks back to normal after a few seconds.

I did see someone that was messing with an 1155, and I was able to get the pin locations for the front sensors (off a 2002) so I'm planning on trying to swap the pins for the FR and FL wheels to see if the code jumps. If anyone has any suggestions or helpful ideas please let me know so I can begin digging into this! I have to get the car inspected as I have 2 tickets for it already. Thanks everyone!

Old 11-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Joe, I would be looking at the plug for the ABS module and seeing if you have any corrosion or water intrusion there. Having 3 wheel speed sensor codes come up makes me think that it isn't the wheel speed sensors themselves. So, you are looking most likely at either a bad ABS module or the plug to the module is getting water in it and it is causing the sensors to be grounded, leading to the loss of indication.

When you do pull off the plug, look at all the pins and make sure that they are all looking nice and silvery in appearance. If they are brown in color, that in itself can be your issue.

The following users liked this post:
jimborino (05-12-2014)
Old 11-11-2013, 05:15 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Joe
What scanner are you using to get access to ABS codes on a 2003 car please. I also have been having DSC warnings. Turned out it was the left front cable connected to the ABS sensor. Found using the wiggle test, but it would be handy to have a suitable scanner for future use when a wiggle test may not work.
Thanks
Alan

Old 11-11-2013, 11:40 AM

I'm using the Innova 3160 with ABS. I do have access to my buddies new snap-on. I haven't used it yet, but he said it was the best one snap on made. I'm not sure if it would be any more of a benefit. The Innova seems to work well on everything as a good basic scanner. It gives you the live data readout as well. You can get them for under 200.

jimborino (05-12-2014)
Old 12-18-2013, 11:00 AM

Ok.. Time for a small update. I have had almost 0 time to work on the car being busy with work and all, however, the plug looked clean and with all the codes I was getting, I decided to put a new ABS module in. 125 dollars from a working car with the correct vin. Installed and bled it. First thing - All ABS lights went off for the first time ever and DSC worked. After driving the car, the lights re-appeared. Right away im getting a code for front left abs sensor and a PO1000. Lights on: ABS, CEL, and Yellow warning light above odometer where it reads DSC Fault. I've been driving it this week and will rescan this weekend to see if any new codes have come up.

Can anyone tell me which pins go from the abs plug to the Left Front wheel sensor? Id like to check that as well as the sensor.

Can the abs system kick on a check engine light? It doenst seem to have any engine codes (besides po1000)

Thanks!

Old 12-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by joeboat84

Can the abs system kick on a check engine light? It doenst seem to have any engine codes (besides po1000)

Thanks!
Yes! I have had a C1175 ABS code come and go several times in my '02 2.5 manual. Each time, the check engine light comes on shortly thereafter. With the ABS and CE lights on, the engine will stall when depressing the clutch at stops (while shifting into neutral).

I've removed, inspected and cleaned the wheel speed sensors on one side and found no evidence of a problem. I've also cleared the faults and they stay cleared (and the engine runs just fine). It's really weird - all this misbehavior start with the ABS light, and clears by itself.

I too would really like to know what the connection is with ABS system and engine management.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:24 PM

Ok. Back to work tomorrow on the car. I have driving it a little while after putting in the abs module. I now have 5 codes as follows

C1155
C1175
P1000
C1155
C1175

Anyone know why they repeat? I'm going to begin to look into the wheel sensors tomorrow. Any way to test them? Anyone know the pin numbers or have a diagram so I can pin test the continuity? Thanks everyone. Anyhelp would be great. I need to get through inspection!

Old 12-27-2013, 07:12 AM
Veteran member

Joe, if you want the diagrams for your car, PM me with your e-mail addy and I will send you the complete electrical diagrams.

joeboat84 (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 02:00 PM

Ok. Did some more research today on the car. I found that the rear left axle does not have a tone ring on it. I checked on the passenger side and did see one. The drivers is clearly gone. Does this mean I need a new axle or can the ring be replaced? I found a used axle local for 75. Hoping to maybe get it for a little less through my old shop. Is it a pain in the a$$ to change out?

As for the front. I swapped the sensors. Looking through the holes for the sensors I noticed there is no tone ring on the axle. I did compare it to the passenger side, and also swapped the sensors to see if the code jumps. (If it was a bad sensor) How exactly does the front get a reading? Is it a magnet inside the hub? If so, do they regularly go bad?

Additionally, is there any way to test the sensors? As the wiring looks, it seems that 1 wire should be + voltage and the second wire should be a pulse signal back to the module? Is that correct?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 12-28-2013, 03:29 PM

hi mate I had the c1155 which is front left abs sensor and c1175 is left rear abs sensor if i remember I gave them a good clean with electrical contact cleaner and now its working but I still have a problem with the dsc as it says dsc faulty so I will try and figure that out But before buying anything clean the sensor as they rarely go wrong.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:45 PM

I should have the new axle monday and found a nice write up on here about changing it out. That should take care of the rear sensor issue.

When I changed my front sensors from left to right, I now also have a C1145. I'm going to swap the sensor back and see if the 1145 goes away. That would atleast tell me that a sensor may be bad.

How does the front abs work in these cars? I don't see a ring in either side.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:16 PM

I just gave my sensors a good clean and it worked

Old 12-28-2013, 06:49 PM

Ok.. Back to the shop and pulled both front sensors. Cleaned both very good, switched back into original places and also pin tested the continuity of all 4 wires from the sensor plug to the abs module plug. All 4 wires checked out good. After resetting, I got a code for front left sensor right away (with out driving) and than after driving got additional codes for left rear and left front. (Left rear was the one with out a tone ring - new axle will be here monday) I'm going to get a new sensor for the front left side and go from there. I believe the one in there was a used sensor. It was in the car when i got it. Thanks everyone - I will update when I get the new sensor in and the tone ring in.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by joeboat84

How does the front abs work in these cars? I don't see a ring in either side.

The front hub bearings have embedded magnets. The sensors detect the changing field from these magnets as they spin.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:41 PM

I'm still waiting on a rear axle with a good ring, however, I went ahead and installed my front sensor. However, I'm still getting codes for the front left sensor? I also checked continuity through out the wire (from the abs module plug to the sensor plug) and the wire checked out good. Would the magnets inside the hub go bad?

The codes read:
C1155, C1175, P1000, C1155, C1177 after driving a few hundred miles.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:14 AM
Veteran member

Joe, I can not say that I have heard of people having the magnets go bad on them. Normally the problem is that they have a new wheel bearing put in and the shop puts the bearing in backwards and the magnets are therefore not in line with the sensor, leading to the sensor not working. It almost sounds like that is what has happened with you. Otherwise, you may need to bite the bullet and replace the wheel bearing to get known good magnets in there.

jimborino (05-12-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 01:09 PM

Well, I picked up an axle and installed it. Ended up snapping the bolt on the lower arm bushing, but besides that, it was a fairly easy job. I havn't had a chance to check for codes. (Hopefully it'll only the front left wheel now)

As for the front left bearing, Being that I bought the car (Originally with a front left abs problem), and I have checked the entire run from computer to the sensor, I believe my problem is in the hub.

My gf slid into a curb pretty hard and bent my RF lower control arm, so that's this weeks project, but than back to the ABS issue. I'll update when I get a chance to scan the codes.

Thanks for all your help guys! Anyone know of a good write up on the front hubs? I'm off to search that now.