X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Power and engine noise

Old 10-26-2016, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Power and engine noise

Hello everyone,

I am checking to see if anyone else has had this issue.
I have a 2002 x 2.5 V6 and recently my engine sounds like a diesel above 2000 rpm not really loud, best way to describe would be a mix between a diesel and a engine knock. It only happens when the RPM's are above 2000 otherwise quiet. Not sure where to start, I have no codes or lights coming on.
At idle it is completely quiet.
As for no power, I hate to say it but I purchased it about 6 months ago and it has never had any power to it, I try to keep the RPM'S below 3000 due to I have heard that the transmissions and gear boxes on these do not like RPM's higher than that. But when you go to get on the freeway sometimes you need to have a little get up and go. This certainly does not have that. I would compare it to a 1980's Chevy Chevette for power comparison. lol

Old 10-26-2016, 12:37 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Think your noise could be a leaking exhaust system? You might take it to a muffler shop for an inspection. How many miles on this car? Since it's fairly new to you I recommend you start with the basics:

Inexpensive -
Have battery load tested (Sears or Interstate will do for free)
Change fuel, engine air and cabin air filters

Intermediate cost -
Change spark plugs (manifold O-rings also as manifold has to come off)
Change ATF, transfer case and differential fluids
Brake fluid flush (not related to performance but prolly needed)
Check/replace engine coolant

What's your DIY skill level? You can do some or all of the above if you've got tools, space and time. If you'll have to pay to have done then discuss budget and tasks with shop.

The following users liked this post:
XTYPESEAN (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, I was wondering about a possible exhaust leak myself, but it was puzzling since you really only hear it above 2000 RPM other wise the car runs very smoothly. With recently purchasing it all I have done is the oil changes to the engine, but I think it is time to give it a good tune up. Any recommendations on the correct spark plugs? Not sure if others with X-TYPES have had any good or bad luck with NGK'S.
Thank you for your advise.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Sean, big thing with the spark plugs is to get (double) platinum plugs. They are pretty cheap these days and while they make the 70's style (all steel) plugs, you will find that after about 15K miles, they will be shot and you will be replacing them again. You can thank the high energy spark systems that all modern day cars have. So, the NGKs should do you good. Just don't go fancy and get the multi-spark spark plugs (ie, Bosch +4's, Splitfires, etc). If anything, we have found that they hurt the car more than they help.

As for you noise, I would say to do the spark plug change and see what you have then. Who knows what may happen.

As for revving the engine to high RPMs, the cars will handle it. Just don't be bouncing the tach off the redline straight off the line. It isn't so much the high RPMs so much as in first/second gears, the transmission is converting engine speed into torque and that is what is hard on the parts. Letting the car get up to say 3,000-4,000 on acceleration is no problem. It is when you start hitting 5,000+ RPM off the line that you may see detriment. Once at highway speeds, use the RPMs to your advantage.

XTYPESEAN (10-27-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 07:49 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I bought Denso 5325 Iridiums from Rock Auto, and think they work just fine. Current price is $5.59 each, which I think is very good. Rock Auto's online catalog has other spark plug choices. Don't forget the manifold o-rings as you'll be removing the manifold to get at Bank 1 plugs.

XTYPESEAN (10-27-2016)