X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-starter...... Resolved!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-starter...... Resolved!

After all sorts of problems showing on display and mechanic pinpointing CPS, which I replaced, I removed the battery and charged overnight. Sadly, unlike my XJ8 I couldn't close the bonnet with charger connected so only gave short bursts whilst working on it. Again it wouldn't start but then it seemed to turn over faster and vrrrooooom! Switched off and on a dozen times but still had engine management light showing. 100 yards down the road and even that cleared. Kudos to whoever replied to a different post saying about the extra power needed for the cats. Happy days !

Old 05-01-2015, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Glad to hear you got her going, but you might not want to start celebrating just yet. It sounds like you might just need a new battery. Our cars are very sensitive to the output from the battery and can cause a number of random codes to pop up. If your battery is a few years old it might be a good idea to just swap it out. They are known to go without any warning. At the very least you might want to have the battery load tested.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:33 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with alfadude, methinks it's time to buy a new battery. Modern cars, and Jags particularly, have lots of electronic gizmos and gadgets that create a load on the battery.

A weak battery will not only steal power from other components, but it will create strange oscillations in the DC frequency throughout the electrical system. These fluctuations can confuse the engine management system and give the false codes that alfadude spoke about.

Remember, computers don't think, they simply respond to inputs, solve a logic, then create an output. Without going into tedious detail, suffice it to say that many of the sensors on the Jag deal with tiny electrical signals that MUST come through clearly to the computer in order for things to work properly. A bad battery just buggers the entire process to no end.

Bottom line, start shopping now. It's far better to buy a battery when you don't need one and can find it for a good price rather than needing to purchase something in an emergency and paying full price. Don't forget to clean and protect the battery terminals and power lead connections while you have the battery out.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers guys, already on the case. Now it's running (hopefully today it'll start again) I'm going to my mate's garage and already asked him to get one ready. I think it should be 100ah, is that right?