Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oem hid headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts
Default Oem hid headlight problem

Well i completed the rebuild of the headlights and plugged everything back in and still have a problem.
Originally the passenger side headlight low beam was not working. Removing the cover revealed the PO had broken the bulb retainer ring and was using bailing wire to hold the igniter to the lense. Well needless to say the bulb was in pieces. The drivers side light was functioning fine.
I replaced the bulb mounting ring and igniter and turned on the light and everything is now fine on the passenger side but the drivers side quit working.

During the adjuster overhaul i moved the ballast, igniter and bulb from the passenger assembly to the drivers assembly since I new they worked. Put all of drivers side components into the passenger light assembly. Completed the overhaul and plugged everything in and passenger side works but NO drivers side low beam.
I swapped fuses 16 and 17 to see if I could shift the failure. No joy, passenger still lights and no drivers. The drivers high beam and daytime drive light are working.

I suspect a bad ground but do not know where the drivers light is grounded. It may also be no power, does anyone know which pins on the headlight connector have power on them.

Last edited by avern1; 09-06-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Avern, lets start with the easy checks and then we will go from there. We can prove that there is power making it there by simply measuring the top of Fuse F16 with a multimeter. You will put the red lead on the little metal tabs on the top of the fuse and the black lead on the body of the vehicle (any bare metal spot). If you are getting 12 VDC when the headlights are being commanded to be on, we know the relay is good and is sending power to the headlight assembly.

Next, you will need to remove the front bumper so you can access the back of the headlight assembly. After you remove the headlight assembly, look into the hole and you will see 2 wires bolted to the metal structure there. Those are the ground wires for the headlights. You can use the multimeter to do a resistance check between Pin 8 and the chassis. Should have under 5 ohms there. You can repeat this with Pin 10 (both pins are ground). If Pin 10 has a higher resistance (ie, over 5 ohms), then this is your problem.

The final check will be to apply 12 VDC to pins 5 (+) and 8 (-). If the low beam still does not come on, then odds are your ballast was bad too and you will need a new one.

The following users liked this post:
avern1 (09-07-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Thermo, I plan to test for voltage at the fuse. We already no the relay is good because the wiring diagram shows feed by one wire to both headlights and the passenger side light works. I know its not a ballast because during the rebuild I took the lamp, igniter and ballast out of the working passenger light and put them in the drivers light. The drivers light components were put in the passenger light and they work.
So i am looking at wiring. I will do the wiring checks first thing in the morning. Its 93 degrees outside and higher in the garage. Calling it a day. I will let you know what i find on the wiring checks. Do you have or know where i can get a pic of the connector with pin numbers?

By the way I solved the fog light plug and posted how to open it.
Thanks again.
Vern

Old 09-07-2015, 09:04 AM
Veteran member

avern, send me a PM with your e-mail addy and I will send you a set of drawings for your car. On the drawings, you will find all the pin numbers and wire colors to do whatever troubleshooting that you are after. Lots of good info on the drawings.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Default OEM hid headlight resolved

Your info was spot on Thermo. Located broken ground on PIN 8. repaired and all lights are aglow now.
Thanks very much.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:47 PM
Veteran member

avern, good to hear all is good. The diagrams for any future problems should be in your e-mail box.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone knows how to change a Xenon Headlight Runing Light Bulb?
If you can post some pictures or a guide I would eternally grateful.

Thanks,
John

Old 09-08-2015, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member

Are you talking about the daytime running bulb in the high beam lamp? If so it is just a mini bayonet bulb. you can reach in with needle nose pliers and pull it straight out. It doesn't have any twist/turn locking to it.
If you are talking about the main high beam bulb it has 2 metal prongs holding it in. At the top you push the ear down and outboard out of hook it is setting in. They have one on each side of the bulb.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by avern1
Are you talking about the daytime running bulb in the high beam lamp? If so it is just a mini bayonet bulb. you can reach in with needle nose pliers and pull it straight out. It doesn't have any twist/turn locking to it.
If you are talking about the main high beam bulb it has 2 metal prongs holding it in. At the top you push the ear down and outboard out of hook it is setting in. They have one on each side of the bulb.
I´m talking the ones that turn on when you put the switch in this position:

I assume they´re the main runing bulb right?

Thank you,
John

Old 09-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Veteran member

John, depending on where you are from, the bulb in question has a few different names. If you are in the US, then the bulb in question is called your low beams. If you are in England, then they are called DIP beams. Other places call it your main beams.

Where it gets confusing is main beams in England are what the rest of the world call "high beams" (or the inner set of lights on the X-Type that get activated when you pull back on the left stalk). Kinda like running lights for most of the world refer to the yellow/red lights that light up on the corners of the car (ie, the position at the 1 o'clock location on the picture you included).

Old 09-08-2015, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
John, depending on where you are from, the bulb in question has a few different names. If you are in the US, then the bulb in question is called your low beams. If you are in England, then they are called DIP beams. Other places call it your main beams.

Where it gets confusing is main beams in England are what the rest of the world call "high beams" (or the inner set of lights on the X-Type that get activated when you pull back on the left stalk). Kinda like running lights for most of the world refer to the yellow/red lights that light up on the corners of the car (ie, the position at the 1 o'clock location on the picture you included).
The position and light bulbs I´m talking about are the ones that light up when you turn the selector to the position "circled" in red.

Thank You

Old 09-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

OK the position you are showing is for the lights overall. I have just finished the rebuild on my lights so let's take it a step at a time.
1. When you turn the switch to that position do any lights glow?
2. While in that position lift up on the turn signal stalk and do any lights glow?
3. The low beam/dip beam is accessed by removing a cover on the back of the light behind the bulb. There is a metal bar on the inboard and outboard sides that need to be pulled back to release the cover.
4. Once the cover is off what do you see?
5. If it is just a bulb with a plug in the back then follow the previous directions earlier in this post about the two bars and you will have the bulb in your hand.
6. If you remove the cover and find a dark colored square box it is the igniter for a HID Variant light. If so let me know and i can give you some tips for changing that mechanical nightmare.
The above is for the passenger side. The only thing additional for the drivers side is that you have to remove the battery and battery box to access the back side of the headlamp.
Give us some more detailed info and we will be glad to help.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

I forgot to mention it is important to let us know what model year the vehicle is or we don't know what electrical diagram to use to help.
Keep in mind that the headlights are controlled by a relay and 2 fuses one for each side. It may not be bulbs.