X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type windshield???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default X-Type windshield???

I have recently cracked my windshield while changing my windshield wipers. (Yes, I know, I know. SHould have been more careful) But in my search to replace the windshield I keep getting asked what kind of windshield is it? Is it heated. Does it have a sensor? And so on.

I am not exactly sure, I don't think it is heated, not sure on the sensor, but how do I find out?

Old 11-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

lazer, if you have a heated windshield, you will see small wires running across the bottom of the glass. As for the rain sensor, again, you will see a small sensor at the bottom of the glass. I think you will find that you will have a plain jane windshield as normally the cars were not equipped with these options.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
lazer, if you have a heated windshield, you will see small wires running across the bottom of the glass. As for the rain sensor, again, you will see a small sensor at the bottom of the glass. I think you will find that you will have a plain jane windshield as normally the cars were not equipped with these options.
Thank you. I don't have either of those things, so mine must be the plain one. Thanks for the info!

Old 11-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thermo & lazer,
i just had my windshield replaced last week. if you have rainsensor the sensor is in the back of the of the rearview mirror. you should have a bulky rearview mirror & basically attached to the windshield. basically there is circle within a tinted part of the upper portion of the glass. also on your wiper switch there should be an auto written.
for the heated, you should have on your temperature console 3 buttons - 1 for windshield defrost -1 for rear heated indicated by r & 1 for front heated indicated by f.
mine has rain sensor but not heated - cost 675 & they installed oe not aftermarket. last saturday while at 167 highway a rock hit the windshield, now has a small chip aaargggg!

Old 11-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Weird, I just had my windshield replaced too! Rain sensor and not heated. Safelite in Milwaukee had it in stock and made it out to my car in less than a day. The installed a factory Saint Gobain Sekurit windshield, although the gradiated tint pattern behind the mirror is a little bit larger on the new one.

Rockyf is correct, the rain sensor is about 2.5" round and bonded to the glass. It essentially doubles as the rearview mirror mount point.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:37 PM

Thanks Rockyf, and Gold_04_X_type. I think I may have the rain sensor one after all. My rearview is a little bulky, and it does have a circle where it attaches to the windshield. $675!! Wow, that is almost twice what I was expecting. I will double check tomorrow what you guys advised me to look for on the windshield, but from memory, I think it does have the rain sensor. Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have both the sensor AND the heated - As for the sensor you are 100% correct - its behind the mirror. As for the heated, I have no special button for the heated windshield, when I turn on rear defroster, the bottom black area of the windshield heats up as well. If your in an area with snow or frost, you will know because there is no light, no switch, or any signal, just the fact that the wipers do not freeze and the snow /ice melts on the bottom black area. Sure is noticeable when I drive other cars and I am constantly having to clean wipers while its snowing. NEVER have to do it on my baby

Old 11-29-2011, 01:14 AM

mralston - i was referring to the attached image.

now that you mentioned it, i wonder if mine is heated too. the only thing is when they removed my windshield there is no other wiring/harness. Could the power be coming from the rear view mirror?

Attached Thumbnails X-Type windshield???-xtp537-1.jpg  
Old 11-29-2011, 02:18 AM

Mine is in the shop being completely repainted and some modifications being done, to include another new windshield it - in Alaska we go through a windshield a year. I will ask them to see my new one and see where the wire actually goes. I know mine IS heated, yet I do not have those buttons on mine - what year is that out of? is it USA?

Old 11-29-2011, 08:59 PM

OK -I went down to the shop and my windshield has two wires that come out the bottom (one on each side) -and yes mine does heat up when the rear window defroster is on. We checked the connections with a meter. Not sure if the pic above is older model, or non USA? Hope this helps.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:05 PM

Thanks. My windshields are non heated then, no wires in the bottom on each side.
Not sure whether older model or non US model.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I find the heated windsheild very distracting. It's like looking through a screen door. I'm hoping for a chip some day soon so I can replace it for a regular clear windsheild.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:41 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts
Old 12-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lazerbrains
Thanks Rockyf, and Gold_04_X_type. I think I may have the rain sensor one after all. My rearview is a little bulky, and it does have a circle where it attaches to the windshield. $675!! Wow, that is almost twice what I was expecting. I will double check tomorrow what you guys advised me to look for on the windshield, but from memory, I think it does have the rain sensor. Thanks for the advice.
Welcome to owning a, in your case, semi-luxury car. My windshield was over $1,000 on my S-Type for an OEM unit.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:30 PM

Doesn't really think Xtype as a luxury or semi luxury vehicle. I like it because of the sportier look & feel. Drove an Stype R before & doesn't really feel for me in terms of sport factor. It does feel luxurious, that I have to say about STypes.

I wish though the X type has a bigger engine with supercharged, then we are talking. For now I'll settle for my non luxury X type Sport.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:46 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile broken Windshield

I recently had a broken windshield. What a hassle trying to get a replacement windshield, besides the business with the sensor and the things you mentioned, just getting a windshield that fits the X was hard to come by. I went to a very reliable windshield shop, that is all they do. It took them 2 weeks to find a windshield, as there are only, ( the owner told me) two companies sell them. My X is a 2003 and in 2004 the windshield was changed with sensor built into the glass and the 03 windshield was discontinued by the manufacturer. The 04 windshield is suppose to fit the 03 but with the sensor prongs sticking out, there was no place to put them. He finally found a windshield out west had it shipped to his location and best part my insurance paid for the whole thing.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't absolutely need a new windshield; it has at least one good but small crack from a rock on the road. I had this "repaired" with a super thin clear epoxy they inject into the crack to keep it from spreading. However, the rubber trim all around the windshield is cracked and dried out pretty bad. The next layer of trim, the plastic bezel type thing is holding up a little better, but I'm wondering if upon windshield replacement do they replace all the trim too?

I imagine the dealer would be able to, but not until they drained my bank acct. lol!

Do windshield shops install all new trim too?

Old 12-31-2011, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

I had my 07 standard windshield replaced last year. Local glass co (TechnaGlass) had no trouble getting one. I don't believe they replace the trim.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:11 AM

If you don't mind my asking, what did they charge you for the 07 windshield?

Thanks

Old 01-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

Insurance paid all but $100. The bill was $870

Quick Reply: X-Type windshield???