X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P2336 Cylinder 1 above knock threshold - Injectors?

Old 05-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P2336 Cylinder 1 above knock threshold - Injectors?

Hello,
This is my first posting for help so please forgive I get something wrong here...

About 3 months ago I had my X-Type 2.0D go into limp mode after putting my foot down to overtake at 80...70...er 60mph. The flashing coil light disappeared after the car was re-started. This happened once or twice over the next month or two, so I bought a code reader and managed to catch P0251 Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control... The car was coming due for a service so I had a full service done (made sure the fuel filter was replaced).
The fault was still appearing after the service, but about a week later...

The car fell into limp mode once again al low revs only doing 30 or so mph with lots of smoke. This time I had P2336 Cylinder 1 above knock threshold.
I drove a few miles back home and called the AA.
The erg valve was isolated and a diagnosis of faulty injectors given.

It was 1 week before I could find anyone to have a look at the car, and cut a long story short, I spoke to a number of garages, who were not very helpful.

At this time the car was very difficult to start from cold, and very Smokey until it warmed up. Frustratingly, once warm, apart from the limp mode, it ran and sounded fine???

I then decided to try cleaning the injectors myself with an ultrasonic cleaner, injector cleaner and a windscreen washer pump to flow the cleaning fluid through the nozzles. This seemed to clear the spray pattern very well, but the car still did not start well from cold. There was some small improvement in starting from cold.

I then learned that injectors can leak back into the cylinder?

Next step, I decided I had to take it back to Jaguar for proper diagnostics. Gulp...

Well, another week goes by and I now have a £120 for a report saying that they would change the injectors, but with no guarantee to fixing the fault. And this would cost a further £1000

Since then I have noticed that I can't clear the P2336 code, even with the engine not running? How can it know it is knocking if it is not running?

Well, I then booked it in to a much more helpful garage who tried re-coding things with no luck, and last week had it booked in for a single injector (cheapo fix) understanding it may end up needing a full set.

Having taken more time off work, the garage had not ordered the parts, so the car is now back home yet again exactly the same.

I ordered a new injector and fitted it to cylinder 1 today with no change.

I have tried across the other cylinders with the injector but no difference.

Do I now buy another 3 on the hope of a fix?

The car has done 120k and has full service history.

Please Please can someone help...

Old 05-05-2011, 12:04 PM

Todays update for those interested...

Having not been able to clear the fault code, I shall be dissconnecting the battery in the hoope of resetting things.

Also today I have ordered a set of injector washers, which I am led to believe is the cause of leak off. This being leaking from the cylinder into the rocker space? Symptoms of which are a sticky tar on the injectors, which I have.

As I now think I understand it, the injectors can either block, or leak.

The blocked nozells can be replaced? or cleaned? I have cleaned using a home made system...
And the leak is as a result of the washer, or mating surface?.. The washers can be replaced and the surface prepared?...

My fault is still unknown, but injectors suspected?

I don't see any justification in spending £1000+ on new injectors, especially without any guarantee of a fix.

Maybe I am wrong and there is more to this than I can see...

Old 11-16-2011, 02:05 PM

Hi mondydave,
Yes, I got it sorted in the end without resorting to the £1000+ quotes I got.
After cleaning all the injectors, I found someone who coded them in for me on the cheap. The problem persisted so I bought 1 reconditioned injector for £120 which when coded in still showed the same fault. The following day for some unknown reason the fault code was different and I was able to reset it from my cheap ebay programmer. The car then ran fine. The car is still running fine 8 months later...

It was all very frustrating not having any clear answers and being asked to invest large sums without any guarantee of a fix.

I hope you have some luck.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:21 PM
Default same

hello Jason,
I have the same happening to my car i have read though the posts and you said you replaced one injector just wanted to see what one you replaced 1,2,3,4 so i can do the same and see if my code turns off thanks