X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking/Running Lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking/Running Lights not working

I bought a 2004 X-Type AWD 3.0 this summer and only realized this week that the parking or running lights do not work. If I put the light control in to the Parking position nothing comes on. My understanding is that the bright lights should be on dimmed down and the left and right lights on the bumpers should be on. Is that correct? Has anyone else ran in to this? I already replaced the fuses for the left and right sides and no change.

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

mwillis, since you have a 2004 car, I need to know the build month/year of your car. It is written in the driver's door jam in the lower right corner. In 2004, jaguar did some upgrades to the car mid year. So, there are 2 different wiring harnesses for the car (early 2004, later 2004).

Something you can try is putting the headlights into AUTO mode (turning the headlight switch to AUTO) and then with the ignition in the RUN position (engine can be running or not), put your finger over the light sensor. Do your headlights turn on after a few seconds? This will let me know ballpark where your problem lies (in the headlight switch or in the wiring of the car).

Old 12-03-2016, 09:43 PM

The car was manufactured in February 2004. The headlights do work when in auto mode.(I typically leave it in auto mode as I've been spoiled with new cars that have it).

Is it true that the inner headlights should be on along with the side marker lights?

Thanks for the the help. I really do appreciate it.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

mwillis, you have the earlier style wiring harness (ie, your car really is a 2003 model with the viscous coupled transfer case which is what is preferable in the Michigan snow - I know as I grew up in Toledo).

As for the lights and what should be on and what shouldn't. If you look at the headlights, you have 4 lenses there. The outside lenses have 2 smaller circles inside of them and the inside lenses are pretty much a single bulb but there is a small bulb hidden up at the 12 o'clock position. The outside lenses have your low beams (or what the british refer to as the DIP beams) and the turn signals. The inside lenses have your high beams (or what the british refer to as the main beams, so, don't get this confused when talking on the site) along with a running light bulb that is on whenever the parking lights are on.

Ok, as for your problem. Lets first start with checking fuse F21 in the engine bay fuse box. This fuse powers the headlight switch, specifically the portion that controls the running lights. You have fuses downstream of the switch (F63, F64, and F97) for the side marker lights and another light (more on this in a moment). If in doubt, replace fuse F21 with another 15 amp fuse.

If your side marker lights still do not work, what I want you to do is to turn the car to the RUN position (engine can be running or not) and then put the headlight switch in the PARK position. Now, open the glove box. Is there a light inside the glove box? If yes, then you have a problem most likely with the wiring between the engine bay fuse box and the passenger area fuse box. If you don't have the glove box light, then odds are your problem lies with the headlight switch itself. If you replace the headlight switch, be aware that there are 3 different headlight switches for the X-Type (US market, Canadian market and Scandinavian market). Each of these switches do something a little different with the headlights and may not allow full functionality based on options that your car has.

How are you with wiring diagrams? I can send you a wiring diagram for your whole car so you can see exactly what you are dealing with and get into the tech stuff. If wiring is not your thing, then tell me so and I will keep things generic enough that you can still figure out the problem and be able to prove things beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:08 AM

Thermo,

Thanks for helping me understand all this and helping diagnose the problem. It seems fuse numbers you provided don match up with my car.

F21 (engine compartment) fuse looks fine but it is a 30amp so I looked it up in the manual and this is what it has listed:

F21-(engine compartment) Oxygen Sensor heater A
F47 - Left-hand side (parking)lights
F48 - Right-hand side (parking) lights

My engine fuse box only goes up to F38 and the passenger only goes up to F56.

The only ones I see for lighting in Engine Compartment in the manual are:
F1 - Right-hand main beam
F2 - Front fog lights, master light switch
F4 - Left-hand main beam
F29 - Left-hand dip beam, master light switch (autolights) head light leveling, instrument cluster.
F30 - Right-hand dipped beam.

I attached a picture of the layout from the manual. As for wiring diagram, I have never really looked at one before.. You can send it though and I can take a look at it.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Parking/Running Lights not working-20161204_100502.jpg  
Old 12-04-2016, 05:15 PM
Veteran member

Mwillis, gotta love cars made near a major change. It would then appear that you have what I call a "half and half" car most likely. What I mean by this is you have some new components from the upgrade and you have some components from the old stuff.

With this knowledge, lets get you the newer harness information.

The fuses downstream of the headlight switch (located in the passenger fuse box) are fuses F47, F48, and F55. The fuse in the engine bay that is powering the headlight switch is fuse F38. Just for reference, fuse F47 controls the running lights for the left side of the car, fuse F48 does the right side of the car, while fuse F55 does the lamp status and the glove box light.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:40 PM

A half and half car would be my luck.

I've already checked the F47 and F48 in the passenger compartment. They were both fine but I threw in new ones anyway.

I haven't checked F55, but I do know that my glove compartment light does work.
F38 in the engine compartment says it's for the horn and auxiliary heater. I know the horn works so I would imagine that fuse is fine, or shours I pull those two just to be safe?

The parking lights symbol is on on the dash anytime I have the switch in parking light, head lights or auto mode.

Thanks

Old 12-04-2016, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Yours may a half and half but up to 2003 fuses 63 and 64 in the passenger compartment control power to the daytime driving bulb, the marker lights an the tail light. 63 is the right side and 64 is the left side.
My left side blows about once every six weeks and wipes out the running, marker and tail lights. I will eventually find the source of the amperage draw.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:18 PM
Veteran member

mwillis, if you have the status indicator on the instrument cluster, then you may have a dual problem in that the wires downstream of the fuses (F47/F48) are bad and they are causing a loss of power to the lights.

If you want to get into putting a multimeter on the wiring to figure this out, let me know. I will step you through everything. It would appear that your fuse boxes are good and your headlight switch is good. So, that is only leaving either the wiring or a bunch of bad bulbs.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:58 PM

Have you tried replacing the bulbs? If it's not the bulbs, it's most definitely a wiring issue.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
mwillis, if you have the status indicator on the instrument cluster, then you may have a dual problem in that the wires downstream of the fuses (F47/F48) are bad and they are causing a loss of power to the lights.

If you want to get into putting a multimeter on the wiring to figure this out, let me know. I will step you through everything. It would appear that your fuse boxes are good and your headlight switch is good. So, that is only leaving either the wiring or a bunch of bad bulbs.
I couple of the bulbs were burned out but not all of them. I did replace them with no luck. At this point I have decided to just wait till spring. Too damn cold for me to be sitting outside messing with it lol.

When I went through the fuse box in the engine compartment, I noticed that R-8 and R-6 are empty but there metal connections are all there.. The ones that are not normally used though don't even have the metal connectors. Do you have any idea what these two relays are for? It is the one thing that the book doesn't explain. attached is a picture

Old 12-08-2016, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by JaguarTrials
Have you tried replacing the bulbs? If it's not the bulbs, it's most definitely a wiring issue.
yeah tried to bulbs.. I am going to wait until next year to work on it more. Too damn cold for my liking outside. thanks