Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger headlight no longer level testing

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger headlight no longer level testing

Hey all,

I searched for an answer but couldn't find one. I just replaced the passenger low beam HID headlamp bulb. After doing so I reconnected the battery, turned on the car, and turned on the lights. SUCCESS! The low beam works again!

but...

Now when you turn the car on, the right beam does not go through the level test where the lights point down then back up. The left headlamp bulb still does the test. The right bulb also is point much too high, but I don't know what happened.

Anyone have thoughts on things I can do to test? It is much too dark out now for me to test anything, but need fresh ideas before I get off work tomorrow.

When I was replacing the bulb, the housing which I removed the bulb from was quite loose. But it felt that way prior to taking anything out. The light prior to the fix did the self level test and was maybe a little bit high, but hardly.

Thanks in advance!

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 with HID Headlights

Last edited by swetnK; 02-14-2017 at 07:03 PM. Reason: More details
Old 02-14-2017, 07:10 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

I recently had a customer with the same issue in a 2005 S-Type. Body shop replaced the HID headlamp assy and the head lamp did not respond anymore. I reconfigured the headlamp to the car with WDS and sent him down the road.

You will need a diagnostic computer to 'talk-nice' to the replacement headlamp assy.

bob

Old 02-14-2017, 07:12 PM

Is this diagnostic test something I will have to go to the dealer for? I am not entirely knowledgable with my car, other than changing the brakes and oil.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I think your problem is the plastic adjusters in the headlight are broken. It is a common problem with the headlights. The plastic in the adjusters gets brittle and they break.
I had to replace the adjusters in both of my headlights. You stated that when you changed the bulb that the housing was loose. That would indicate the adjusters are broke.
Do a search on ebay for x-type headlight adjusters and you will find them. One or to of the vendors has a link to a video showing how to change them. You can also search you tube and they have videos about replacing the adjusters.
It isn't that difficult but it does require removing the front bumper to remove the headlights.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:05 AM

I will take another look tomorrow. The headlight up until it went out never bounced and still did the self level when the car was turned on. Even now the light doesnt.bounce or move whatsoever.

So if it is broken adjusters, I suppose I'll have to get a heat gun and get to work with fixing the adjusters. Wish there was another test I could do so that I could be certain before I go that far.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

If it's not broken, see post #2.

By way of example, Bob is an indy. (Others exist.)