X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing for 2500-3000 mile road trip.... thoughts?

Old 03-29-2017, 03:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Preparing for 2500-3000 mile road trip.... thoughts?

Engine oil, automatic transmission fluid, transfer case, power steering, brake fluid.... all new. Had a minor valve cover gasket leak so as along as it was apart at the top for that, changed plugs, checked coils and looked for anything that might need changing under the intake manifold. I think the only fluid unchanged is the rear differential. Driveshaft carrier bearing greased. Tires have about 1500 miles on them.

Belts and hoses look good.

I'm getting to that point I think where you've done most of the reasonable and obvious things that you'd do to ANY car to take care of it. At some point you just gotta toss your luggage in the boot and turn the key and go.

Anything else I should check?

We've owned the car about 8 months now.
An '06 VDP edition with now about 75k miles on the clock.

The trip would be from western NY state to central florida. Hours and hours spent at 75mph. My gut right now is just go for it and if anything happens, it happens. Otherwise.....what a sweet ride for cruising.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

"Anything else I should check?"

Just don't forget your favorite music and I would bet you will be fine.

The following users liked this post:
yardbird (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
"Anything else I should check?"

Just don't forget your favorite music and I would bet you will be fine.
Hahah... yeah... I'll miss the XM radio from my Santa Fe (which just returned from this very same trip)
Wife has a lot of CDs, but if I have to listen to Sound of Music I think we'll have words.

I should look and see if the CD player is capable of playing MP3 CDs and make a bunch of mixes for driving or something.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Just bought my '06 a few weeks ago. Test drive it around the block. Signed the dealer's paperwork, left the lot in N.J. and drove non stop 2,400+ miles home. Stopped to fuel, pee, grab a hot dog, coffee. 50 hours non stop and it drove like a cat!

The following users liked this post:
yardbird (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Just bought my '06 a few weeks ago. Test drive it around the block. Signed the dealer's paperwork, left the lot in N.J. and drove non stop 2,400+ miles home. Stopped to fuel, pee, grab a hot dog, coffee. 50 hours non stop and it drove like a cat!
That made me smile! I love driving the car. And the whole time driving the Santa Fe with my brother I was thinking how those roads are made for this car.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Sounds like you've got the car caught up in maintenance and preventive checks. Appears good to go. I think most problems occur when we have ignored an obvious issue that should have been addressed before the trip. Have fun.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:05 AM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I carry an AAA card with the 100 mile free towing. Most times this will get you to an auto parts store that will have your part.

Ok so I have never had to use it....but then

Old 04-02-2017, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Larry-Cleveland
I carry an AAA card with the 100 mile free towing. Most times this will get you to an auto parts store that will have your part.

Ok so I have never had to use it....but then
Yeah, we have the real good AAA service. I'm having a little issue with the starter, but it still starts ok. I might change that out before we consider taking it on this trip. My Santa Fe has almost 50k on it. The Jag has 75k.

I think it'd be fine. Or... at least as "fine" as any other car. You really can have a trouble free excursion in a much older car and you can have issues on the same kind of trip with a much newer one. So... somewhere in the middle is good.