X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prop Shaft? Whining Noise? Vent Rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Prop Shaft? Whining Noise? Vent Rattle?

Took the car in for the noise...as part of their routine check they discovered the gasket and the hub assembly. The gasket leak as described by the dealer: "put the car up on the bed. While examining two drips fell to the ground. the drips were 60% the size of a penny."

I had read up on the greese gun option...looking into.

Right now it's a wait and see approach. I'm waiting for the indy shop to get back to me on costs. My brother, a master mechanic, said the I could get the work done for about 60% of the dealer's estimate.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:41 PM

Ok...talked to the independant shop....here is what they say:

Prop Shaft: 1230
Wheel Hub Assembly: 305
Gasket: 900 (8 hour job)

Total: 2435.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:51 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I think I remember my Dealer mentioning that the Pan Gasket is a beaotch to get at, because they have to remove a ton of sub frame stuff and jack the engine off it's mounts..So the cost is practiccally all labor.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:49 PM

just wanted to close the loop on this. Had my indy dealer do the work.

1. Drive Shaft: the entire drive shaft had to be replaced; you can't just change the bearing.
2. Wheel Hub Assembly
3. Oil Pan Gasket

Total: 2164

Damn that was expensive.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:48 PM

Wow, dealer told me I have to do a pan job at some point too. I think they quoted me about $1100 to do that plus something with the rear suspension bushings that are squeaking. I have to search for the e-mail.

As for the noise when cold, I used to get that last year, but havent had it this year. I wonder if the dealer lubed it when I took it in and didnt tell me?

As for vents, mine used to pop out until one day I got so pissed off that I rammed them down. Surprise surprise when i discovered that they actually pop into place with a little brute force! They dont rattle anymore or pop out.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:54 PM

$2000 dang that hurts. sorry about your loss. sometime having a jag hits hard. its like datinga victoria secret model that goes for a check up at the doctor and comes out needing a bunch of work. you could drop her but damn is she pretty to look at.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I've had this problem for YEARS. My car was still under the Select Certified warranty in 2007. They put in a new prop shaft and differential. They put in the noise tunnel, weights, everything. NOT fixed. My dealer inspected and confirmed the new prop shaft is the latest and greatest just this year. The put "ears" on the prop shaft and confirmed to me the noise is definitely coming from the new prop shaft, and they said there wasn't any more they could do.

Well I lived with the noise for years until recently. My shifter (standard shift) had always had a little movement to it. For example when you are in a low gear at low RPM, lift-off the throttle and back on and you could see the shift lever move a bit. Well, it suddenly began to move much further. It was quickly diagnosed as a rear motor mount (I forget the exact description, they had some kind of name for it). $130 installed by the dealer. The shifter is now tight and firm. it does not move at all ... with any kind of prompting.

And now the great news. It's been below freezing here, and finally ... no more noise! I suspect the loose motor mount put excess pressure on the system that caused a harmonic vibration in the cold. The Prop Shaft was the clear source of the noise, but it was not the Cause!

When you are having this looked at, also have them check the subframe mounting bolts. My subframe was loose from the body. The point is, make sure nothing is allowing pressure against the prop shaft.

Cheers,
David