X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The pro's/con's of owning a Jag

Old 04-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The pro's/con's of owning a Jag

I havent been around much because I got a new job, (need the $ to take care of the big cat) and I immediately noticed the pros and cons of driving a Jag to work.
Luckily the company has a parking lot, and it's full of average cars (civics, accords, altimas) the only nice car is a brand new Audi A6 that belongs to the owner. The second nicest car is a early 2000 volvo owned by the Manager. And my entry level, straight outta college butt drives in with a 06 Jag.My co-workersthought I was from the corporate office. (which im not) and now everyone thinks I have money (when I dont). The secretary is trying to sell me her home made pies for $30 (!?!) and gets mad when I said I cant afford it. My supervisor is asking for rides, and Managers are talking about my nice car when they go out for cigarette breaks ... Owning a Jag definitely has its pros and cons, I just hope they dont get cheap on me when it comes time for my review/raise.
I alsohave a feeling my managers think Im trying to show them off. (not my intentions, I just love my Jag)
I wonder if anyone else has this problem ?

and I tell these people, my car cost the same as a maxima, they dont believe me ...

Old 04-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: The pro's/con's of owning a Jag

I have noticed a few things about owning one of these Jaguars. It seems that any time someone I know sees my car for the first time they usually have the same conversation with me. It usually takes place outside near our cars in a parking lot or on a street. It goes something like this:

Me-“so I guess I will see you later”

Other guy-“yeah, say... um, how do you like the Jag?”

Me-“oh, I like it. It drives great in the snow”

Other guy-“yeah, I was thinking of getting rid of my car and getting something else” (as they point at their car)

Me-“really? You have a nice car, what, you don’t like it?” (And they usually do have a nice car like a 06 accord or something)

Other guy- “nah, I just want something different…. How much did you pay for that?”

Me-“I got a good deal on it…”

The conversation usually ends right there. I guess seeing my X-Type makes people say they are going to get a different car or something. It kind of amazes me how most people think this car cost a lot just because it is a Jag. I guess most people don’t look at the used prices of Jaguars. While I am on the subject: I was at the car auction today and saw a 2004 Jaguar XJR. I liked the car a lot and looked into the resale price of this model car. I was shocked to see how cheap you can get one of these for! Has anyone else looked into this yet?

Old 04-11-2008, 11:01 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Let them keep guessing and wondering..,you have the nicest looking car in the parking lot and be proud that you have the best taste..screw them, it's none of their damn business unless they want to make your car payments..if they like the car so much to sneer at you for having it,,, then they need to get a life..Stand proud my friend..

Old 04-12-2008, 06:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've find that buying a "used" X-Type off the lot will cost a lot less than people would expect. I think a new, fully loaded Altima is like $26,00 versus the $44,000 of an X-Type.

However, in comparison (to lets say an Altima), the maintenance fees will cost significantly more. Especially, if something happens to go wrong......which I have found these X-Types are prone to do just that.

Even the dealer is always trying to get me for cash and when I told the window tint guy on the phone that I wanted a Nissan tinted and then showed up with a Jag I got the luxury of a $100 price raise.

Moral of the story is that even though you might think your getting a deal on the residual value of the car, chances are your going to put some additional (and unexpected) cash into that cat. It is ultimately an expensive car IMO.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly...

the respect...

and the women in this car...

amazing...

THE JAG? this is the best boost ud ever need ... lol

comeon, i know single males on this can agree...

all i know is this... i can roll my window down, say anything to anyone and still pull it off...

why?

cuz of the JAG!!!!

haha my two cents... i love this topic!

Old 04-12-2008, 12:33 PM

Yea, but if you really want to be successful with women, especially a woman of class, you need to consider what you have to offer without the car. You might have the best fishing lure money can buy but if you can't work a rod then chances are you'll never catch the big one.

In my personal opinion women worth pursuing don't take much interest in material possessions.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:50 PM

I am very proud of my car, regardless of what the critics say, it really is a great car.

As far as getting girls with the Jag, too many times I talk to a girl I like and after our conversation, she gets into her new 5 series or E class ...
I wouldnt use the car as the main point of attraction, but I agree it definitely helps! People see a 3 series and think they have no thoughts or opinions of their own (everybody in NY has a Bimmer). You get a MB C class and your trying too hard. Lexus IS ? waayyyy too tiny. You have a X-type, then your a unique individualwith class and style. That's what I've noticed.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, I was on the way to the used car lot to take a look at a 350Z, when the S-type caught the corner of my eye. Then the sticker caught the bottom of my pocket and the test drive caught the heart of my bottom...or was it the bottom of my heart? Ever since, the bickering from the FAMILY(....YES THE FAMILY) has been amazing. Many jealous uncles and cousins. Work has been cool, because I only work with another three guys and they've been really happy for me, or so it appears.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah there are many pros to owning a jag. I would have to say that sex is much better in the back seat than in my bed. Atleast with the leather you can wipe off a mess but on a bed you gotta do laundry. Also since the back seat is comfortable enough that you also save on motel costs... lol now who said this car cant save you money? lol

But yeah being serious, I notice people talk to you and treat you on a whole different level. I started a new job and about a month into being into my new job I noticed people who saw me drivign my jag got so much nicer, they were more friendly, they actually cared to talk to you. I noticed my manager trying to be my buddy. Slipping me sporting event tickets whenever he has them.

Lifes great when you drive a jag!

Old 04-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

There'remany pros owning a Jag . You just feel privileged. Cons ? Forgetthem lol

Old 04-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a common commentthat really pisses me off; "That's a Ford, Isn't it?"

Old 04-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Her is my answer "No, That is a Jaguar."

Old 04-15-2008, 10:36 PM

Well, you can hit them back with, that's aChrysler (Mercedes)isnt it? or Nice volkswagon (Audi), or toyota (Lexus), or Chevy (Cadillac), etc ..
Besides, Jaguar was in pretty good company at Ford. Lincoln, Land Rover, Aston Martin, Volvo, ... not a bad mix.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member

or "no, it's not a Ford... It's a Tata" lol

Old 04-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts

ORIGINAL: jvegas

But it's a "Bodacious" TaTa

Old 04-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: jvegas

OMG! LMAO! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! I can't stop laughing.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL! That will be the first thing I'll say when someone says it's a ford (although I have no problems with ford as I'm 23 and I've owned/own 4 so far...)

Old 05-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now thats its been a few months since ive owned it i can answer this....i agree with you guys. people treat you MUCH different than most cars in its class
people seam more interested in what you have to say. and i must admit my attitude has changed Im not smug or stuck up, but ive gained mucho mojo. People do a lot of staring. Ive never been a show off, but sometimes i feel like just driving the car IS showing off. even at the dealership (ray catena) you pull in next to aston martins and porsches and people dont look down on you

Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

I have fallen in love with driving again. I catch grief from people I work with because I own a Jag, but damn I love to drive it.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:44 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jamey

I have fallen in love with driving again. I catch grief from people I work with because I own a Jag, but damn I love to drive it.
That is the most ridiculous thing..those people need to get a life.

Glad you enjoy your Jag

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The pro's/con's of owning a Jag