X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about the X Type

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about the X Type

Hey everyone. I posted in this forum almost three years ago to inquire about the S Type. Instead of getting an S Type as a weekend car, I ended up making a spur-of-the-moment purchase on a 1991 Mazda Miata (The engine ended up blowing but I made the best of it by swapping in a more powerful engine).

Right now, it looks like I will be getting either a S Type or a X Type (3.0) (Any Jaguar can be considered to be my dream car). I prefer the look of the X Type, and I am already aware that some of the parts come from a Ford Mondeo (But seriously, the Mondeo is considered to be a great car anyway). I currently own a 2004 Elantra that has given me reliable service since 2008, but this time around I am looking for something that feels a bit more sporty.

I have driven the S Type already, but I have not yet had the opportunity to drive an X Type yet. I just have a few questions before I go out of my way to test drive one:

1. Is the X Type a good highway cruiser? (I am aware of the gas mileage but it will not cause any problem for me, I am more concerned with noise level in the cabin)

2. At what RPM does the engine turn when at 60 mph?

3. I am aware that there have been some issues with the transfer case for this car, but is the automatic transmission in this car have good driving manners?

4. I am also able to drive stick shift (my Miata, of course, has a manual transmission). Is there a difference in durability for the manual (assuming I know how to drive stick well) and the automatic transmissions?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Last edited by Spectre; 06-21-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:23 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi I will answer from my own experience with a 2.5 auto,

1. Its a great highway cruiser and the noise levels are very low, although the seats aren't as comfortable as those in my Saab.
2. Can't remember the rpms at 60mph but its probably below 2000rpm.
3.An auto is what it is, its not as engaging to drive as a manual but on long highway trips it doesn't make any difference. But it will go quite well in sports mode and the AWD means it corners pretty flat and feels very safe.
I chose an auto as it suits a Jag and it will be gentler on the transfer box than a manual when shifting.
4.The auto should give good service if looked after, the secret is to have the autobox flushed and refilled along with the transfer box as soon as you get it, then do regular fluid changes afterwards, totally ignore Jags sealed for life policy and you will have fewer problems. If anything folks seem to have more issues with the manual (clutch) on these forums.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:48 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a 2.5 manual;

1. Its great on the highway. I've driven mine around the country a few times in the 3 years I've owned it. Most of the time I drive with the windows down though, but its pretty quiet with them up.

2. I want to say it runs around 2200rpms at 60, but I dont spend a lot of time at 60. 70 is just under 3k though, and 65 is about 2500.

3. I can't really say, since I have a manual. One of the biggest reason I got my X was because of the 5 speed manual though.

3. My car has 193k miles on it, when I got it, it was just over 160k. It has the original transmission and transfer case. I'm not sure about the clutch as I've only had it 3 years but I've put 30k on the clutch that's in it without any problems, and I'm probably harder on my X than 99% of X type owners. I can't say the auto trans will last longer, since I dont have one and don't pay attention to them, but replacing a clutch is a lot cheaper than replacing a transmission. For me, the 5 speed manual is a lot more enjoyable to drive too. As far as an automatic being easier on the transfer case, that is really all about how you drive either one.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. That gives me a good base line of what to expect. Are there any 3.0 X Type owners that want to chime in about the cruising rpm?

Old 06-22-2015, 08:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

80 mph is about 3000 in my 04 3.0. Sport suspension can be firm on these crap roads occasionally but has held up well regardless. I like my drivetrain......so far..... and cruising at 70 or 80 is responsive as well as enjoyable. Hope this helps

Old 06-23-2015, 05:41 PM

^^Thanks. Then I assume that the rpm speed for 60 mpth is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 rpm. On that note, I think all of my questions have been answered. Thanks guys! I look forward to being a regular part of this community when I am finally able to get a Jaguar.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:59 AM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default My Responses Based on My Experience...

1. In my opinion, this is a great highway cruiser. It feels solid, safe and heavy. The seats are very comfortable.

2. I am not really sure, somewhere around 2500. Based on comments throughout this Forum, I never "punch" the car. Some veterans on this Forum recommend not going to 4000.

3. When I purchased my X-Type, I had all - all - all fluids changed. It is a very smooth shifting transmission.

4. Automatic here.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-25-2015, 01:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

1. Yes, the car is very quiet and smooth on the highway.

2. I checked this during lunch for your today, and my '05 3.0 Premium runs 2100 RPM at 60mph.

3. We've never had a problem with our transfer case or transmission. I purchased the car new in 2005 and we currently have ~80,000 miles on the car. I just changed the fluids on the transfer case, differential and transmission for the first time.

4. I was always under the impression that a manually shifting a transmission is easier on the transmission than an automatic.

Good luck in your search!

Old 06-27-2015, 11:13 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Highway cruising is one the X Type's main strengths. The cruise control is very smooth when engaging, speeding up or slowing down, even when you cancel, it is smooth on the slow down. I imagine this bc of the electronic TPS/throttle body combo.

On a run from Scottsdale to Tucson today (100 miles across the burning desert 110 F w/ AC on) I found that:

90 mph = 3500 rpms

100 mph - 4000 rpms

On other trips I've held 110 mph using cruise control for a half hour or so ( don't recall where the rpms were at that speed).

Altho, I've modified the air throughput for maximum flow as compared to stock, so, it holds high rpms easier with less strain on the engine. So there's my two cents