X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild 3.0L X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 09:40 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Cool Rebuild 3.0L X-Type

I want to buy a used X-Type 3.0L engine to rebuild; Any one know how much we can bore out to increase displacement? Any body have done this? 3.5L possible 4.0L? What's involve beside new pistons; new crank shaft? new connecting rods? Reprogram ECU? I don't want to charge it, it's too complicate and cost too much.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:25 AM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Transfer case? Good for 275 bhp apparently

Have seen 350 bhp but to go in a Mazda MX-5

Old 09-30-2016, 01:59 PM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

You're going to need a stand alone programmable ecu as ours are not tunable at this time. You can buy 3.5l short blocks from NPG but I wouldn't go much larger than that especially if you're trying to push big power.

Pistons, rods, bearings, balanced polished crank, custom cams and springs, arp studs, true cold air, ported polished heads, headers, larger fuel pump and injectors, high volume oil pump. The list is long...

Forced induction will be your best power builder, I'm doing a full build with turbo but a n/a high power build is always badass. It's not impossible but expensive.

Don't let the transfer case myths deter you, if it blows just rebuild it to where is doesn't grenade again. It comes with the territory of being the first, poop happens. I've been daily beating the crap out of my car and it's holding up very well. With high power it's not going to just be tcase you need to worry about i.e. differentials, crappy design driveshaft, weak-ish drive axles, suspension, steering and braking upgrades to handle the extra g forces. I've been on this hunt for years, I'm almost there!

The following users liked this post:
Patterson (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 09:17 PM

X-TypeMentality, the reason I want to buy an used engine to rebuild to up power(by professional engine rebuilder) because I found the pull it yourself yard that sale engines cheap; Can you give pro and con between up grade the engine displacement and turbo charge via cost, reliability and durability, beside TC and Trans. upgrade because these are the must to either way, If I can get my X up to 300-350hp I'll be very happy.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:48 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Thang.

Something to ponder.

I am looking in the direction of The Duratec 35 (taurus or lincoln MKZ) or Duratec 37 (MKS or Mustang)the literature i have read leads me to believe it will fit in the engine bay may have to move some engine mounts and not sure if the bell housing will fit still looking into that but the 35 (3.5L) is rated around 260-290HP and the 37 (3.7L) in the mustang is rated at 300HP

when I get time I need to find some engineering drawings of these engines and see what are the differences in mounts between them and ours.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:50 AM

Paul, I found a lots Tauruses and several Mustangs up Hazleton, I will check these out, but I'm sure the Stang engine would have completely difference engine mounts, I'll check the length of the Stang engine to see if it fit the X-Type. When you come back from Mexico may be we'll go up there some time?

Old 10-01-2016, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Thang Nguyen
X-TypeMentality, the reason I want to buy an used engine to rebuild to up power(by professional engine rebuilder) because I found the pull it yourself yard that sale engines cheap; Can you give pro and con between up grade the engine displacement and turbo charge via cost, reliability and durability, beside TC and Trans. upgrade because these are the must to either way, If I can get my X up to 300-350hp I'll be very happy.

I think pros and cons of natural aspiration and forced induction can be debated forever lol. I'm sticking with a full high power build (all the internal goodies I mentioned earlier) with a single turbo 3.0 just because I want to be able to say its original factory displacement for the car. I'm trying to pull high numbers, anywhere above 400awhp&ft/lb will be good with me 😊

Screw the T-Case, the real hurdle in our cars is the locked up ECU. It's going to cost more to pay a professional to break into the ECU and figure out how to tune it than it would to buy the standalone unit and have it tuned. Most of those guys would much rather work with a program they're familiar with anyways, would pretty much guarantee a successful, safe tune...

I'm anxious for the snow to fly, that's the day she goes back under the knife for the winter. It's been a freaking blast driving this beast around this summer roasting M5's through the roundabouts (yes, it really happened...many times... haha) but I'm seriously craving at least twice the power. I can't freaking wait!!! I've been planning this for almost 4 years now haha its crazy to see it coming to fruition.

Old 10-01-2016, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Paulc732
Thang.

Something to ponder.

I am looking in the direction of The Duratec 35 (taurus or lincoln MKZ) or Duratec 37 (MKS or Mustang)the literature i have read leads me to believe it will fit in the engine bay may have to move some engine mounts and not sure if the bell housing will fit still looking into that but the 35 (3.5L) is rated around 260-290HP and the 37 (3.7L) in the mustang is rated at 300HP

when I get time I need to find some engineering drawings of these engines and see what are the differences in mounts between them and ours.
I contemplated the complete 3.5L drive train swap including ecu. Seems like the most budget friendly idea but I'm afraid of it basically being a camouflaged taurus lol I guess I just like doing things the difficult way.